Coffee - whats the situation?

Options

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    don't store it in the fridge. store the whole beans at room temperature and grind right before brewing.

^^^Yes! The only way to drink it. Well, not the only way but, certainly the awesome way.
  • bullofheaven
    bullofheaven Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Coffee may help or may not help when it comes to your health only you can be the judge.

Coffee is just like any other food/drink/drug it affects everyone differently. Know your body, know your mind.

But if you know of any sweet websites that sell fresh roasted organic coffee reasonably priced please reply in this thread or PM me, thanks.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Your best bang for the buck is to buy bulk, vacuum seal your own freezer packs of whatever size you can consume in about a week's time, then pull a pack from the freezer to thaw a day before you want to start using it.

if you REALLY want the best bang for the buck, buy the coffee green and then roast in small batches that are about 7-10 days' worth :smile:

This! My small roaster gets me 3 days worth in one batch.. Always fresh and delish.

No fridge, no freezer, no absorbing moisture and odd flavors!! Stored in an airtight canister whole, ground right before brewing.
    That is amazing...where do you guys buy the beans?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Your best bang for the buck is to buy bulk, vacuum seal your own freezer packs of whatever size you can consume in about a week's time, then pull a pack from the freezer to thaw a day before you want to start using it.

if you REALLY want the best bang for the buck, buy the coffee green and then roast in small batches that are about 7-10 days' worth :smile:

This! My small roaster gets me 3 days worth in one batch.. Always fresh and delish.

No fridge, no freezer, no absorbing moisture and odd flavors!! Stored in an airtight canister whole, ground right before brewing.

I always use http://sweetmarias.com/

The downside is that now I'm spoiled rotten when it comes to ultra high quality coffee.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

I always use http://sweetmarias.com/

The downside is that now I'm spoiled rotten when it comes to ultra high quality coffee.
    One cup of coffee snob please :P
  • MrsC160
    MrsC160 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    don't store it in the fridge. store the whole beans at room temperature and grind right before brewing.

A cup of coffee made like this is life changing.....
  • Ron6098
    Ron6098 Posts: 31
    Options
    Nothing wrong with black coffee.
    I prefer white or green tea with a few dashes of cayenne pepper...really wakes you up in the morning!
  • cld111
    cld111 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I love me some coffee! I think it's so satisfying, and it curbs my hunger. I love mine with half & half. :drinker:
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a cup or two a day. AND WITH French Vanilla creamer. I am still losing weight ;) Also, coffee is an appetite suppressant. Just sayin' :)
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

Here is a list I compiled for myself and fellow Canadians, since Sweet Maria's S&H from USA can be high: http://www.reddit.com/r/roasting/comments/141603/canada_green_coffee_sources_online/
    Taso got me into it, and I'm saving for a Behmor roaster right now ($350ish). But you can get by with a popcorn popper or heat gun ($15ish)
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    One cup of coffee snob please :P

Guilty.
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    Most home tabletop roasters give off very little to no smoke. And over the internet, there is pretty much every bean in the world avaiable to you green. At $4 to $8 per pound for most and more for Kona or Jamiacan Blue Mountian. Do what you like but those are not 2 valid reasons not to home roast.

ETA: You can also buy some grades, like AAAA that aren't generally available in a preroasted form.

Yeah, I've experimented, but I can't really get the roast quality with the low-smoke home roasters that I get from the places that I buy.

With that said, I'll admit that it's been a while, and I think things have improved since I last tried it. Plus, it could just be that I suck at roasting coffee. :)

Regardless, I wouldn't discourage anyone from home-roasting. I may go that route again -- but if I pick up another pricey "hobby," my wife might kill me.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Most home tabletop roasters give off very little to no smoke. And over the internet, there is pretty much every bean in the world avaiable to you green. At $4 to $8 per pound for most and more for Kona or Jamiacan Blue Mountian. Do what you like but those are not 2 valid reasons not to home roast.

ETA: You can also buy some grades, like AAAA that aren't generally available in a preroasted form.

Yeah, I've experimented, but I can't really get the roast quality with the low-smoke home roasters that I get from the places that I buy.

With that said, I'll admit that it's been a while, and I think things have improved since I last tried it. Plus, it could just be that I suck at roasting coffee. :)

Regardless, I wouldn't discourage anyone from home-roasting. I may go that route again -- but if I pick up another pricey "hobby," my wife might kill me.

Gotta work the cost benefit analysis. I have Fresh Roast SR500, you can adjust time and roast temp, smoke free. Cost about $170. Burr grinder, cost about $50. Total $220

I consume about to 3 lbs per week at an average price of $6 per lb. Saving of about $6 per lb x3= $18 per week.
    $220 / $18 =12.22 weeks to payback. Pure cost saving from there. Better quality than you can likely buy, total control over roast profile YOU PRACTICALLY CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO DO THIS!! At least that worked on my wife. And now she would never go back. She's spoiled!!

BTW, another great supplier is Invalsa out the Boston area. They are Bolivian and carry some of the best tasting micro lot AAAA Cumbre I've ever tasted!! They specialize in coffees from Central and South America.
  • jasonheyd
    Options
    Gotta work the cost benefit analysis. I have Fresh Roast SR500, you can adjust time and roast temp, smoke free. Cost about $170. Burr grinder, cost about $50. Total $220

I consume about to 3 lbs per week at an average price of $6 per lb. Saving of about $6 per lb x3= $18 per week.
    $220 / $18 =12.22 weeks to payback. Pure cost saving from there. Better quality than you can likely buy, total control over roast profile YOU PRACTICALLY CAN'T AFFORD NOT TO DO THIS!! At least that worked on my wife. And now she would never go back. She's spoiled!!

For me, it's less about whether home-roasting would be more cost-effective, and more about the fact that I'd want to buy 6 tons of different green coffees & roast all of them 25 ways to Sunday. I tend to get a little nuts with new toys. ;-)

And yeah, my wife's already picked up the good coffee habit. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

For me, it's less about whether home-roasting would be more cost-effective, and more about the fact that I'd want to buy 6 tons of different green coffees & roast all of them 25 ways to Sunday. I tend to get a little nuts with new toys. ;-)

And yeah, my wife's already picked up the good coffee habit. :)

Lolz!! I'm allowed 2-5 lb bags per purchase when we are running out of what we've got. I hear you!!
  • arsan
    arsan Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm having two cups as I type this. Bad part is I have to add a tad bit of sugar. :/
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I'm having two cups as I type this. Bad part is I have to add a tad bit of sugar. :/
    Try a lighter roast and/or a different origin. Some of my favorites: Peru, Guatemala, Ethiopia, and Brazil, all light or medium at the most.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    If you love coffee, you owe it to yourself to buy a brick of Community New Orleans Blend Coffee & Chickory and brew a nice strong thick pot of it.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I'm glad we are having an important discussion in the forums for once....

Has anyone else here participated in an Ethiopian Coffee ceremony? It's not really a "ceremony" as much as a social event that revolves around roasting and brewing coffee in a traditional way.... It was always served to me with lots of sugar. It was amazeballs.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I'm glad we are having an important discussion in the forums for once....

Has anyone else here participated in an Ethiopian Coffee ceremony? It's not really a "ceremony" as much as a social event that revolves around roasting and brewing coffee in a traditional way.... It was always served to me with lots of sugar. It was amazeballs.

heard of it. never participated or seen one. i hear they make an extremely light roast compared to what we're used to?

i got some ethiopian beans in the cupboard....