Thigh gap - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Options
leilaphoenix
leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
Ok. I'm going to come out and say it. In my personal opinion, the "thigh gap" is really unattractive and unfeminine.

sdjfjid.jpg

I am genuinely interested as to why some people are aspiring to this? Is it that you think it is attractive? Or that it is some demonstration of how skinny you are? Or is a 'fashion' thing?

Replies

• susheetush
    susheetush Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yeah I don't think it's attractive and don't aspire to it. Which is good coz even at a BMI of 21 I didn't have it. But I'm sure there are girls and guys who find it attractive. I just don't get it myself.
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The term that my gran would have used was "couldn't stop a pig in a passage".....nothing sexy about bandy legs. :ohwell:
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    *waits for all the guys to come on and say otherwise*
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

I think you're more likely to have women coming in here and saying otherwise actually.

I think if a woman wants a gap between her legs she should just open them.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Hating on other women's bodies is wrong, and needs to stop. Whether or not you have a thigh gap depends on your bone structure. Some women will have one even when their body fat percentage is quite high (e.g. high end of the normal range) - others will not have one even at 13% body fat.

Calling it "unfeminine" and "unattractive" is not really fair on women who naturally have one. Maybe a thigh gap looks bad on someone who starved themselves ridiculously underweight to get one..... but they look good on women who have them naturally when their body composition is healthy.

This is one thing I really can't stand.... when women of one body type hate on women with another body type.... it's all over MFP. Why can't you learn to love yourselves without putting others down in the process?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    The term that my gran would have used was "couldn't stop a pig in a passage".....nothing sexy about bandy legs. :ohwell:

LOL!

I've been all over the place in terms of my own weight, and never had a thigh gap. Never wanted one or thought it was an attractive quality (sorry, gapsters). I think it's a genetic thing--if you're trying to get there by losing weight and being afraid of having any muscle on your thighs, you're sick in the head and need help. I did a quick google image search for "thigh gap" and out of the hundreds of photos I saw, there were maybe three or four women who were at a reasonable weight. The rest were grossly underweight and clearly anorexic. Unhealthy isn't sexy, ever.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just saw you in my thread, and I understand where you are coming from.
    However, I can't agree with you that thigh gaps are unfeminine.
    Women come in all different shapes and sizes, and women who are naturally slim and have a thigh gap won't appreciate being told that they aren't feminine because of their body.
    Skinny shaming, whether outright or passive, is just as hurtful as fat shaming.
  • mikee007
    mikee007 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    WE MEN LOVE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT XXXX
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    How dare you body shame my thigh gap!

p13_chickenthighs_zpsf56f3d0f.jpg
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options

I think you're more likely to have women coming in here and saying otherwise actually.

I think if a woman wants a gap between her legs she should just open them.

I LOL'ed really loud then! :blushing:
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Don't think I would want straight up and down legs but I would like a little more of a gap than I have at present, I'm getting there.... slowly
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options

You just can't speak for all men because :
    A - Not all men love it.
    B - Women think that men expect it because of these statements
    C - It's damaging to speak for a whole society because society is fickle and you're teaching women to try to obtain something which just isn't possible for everyone, and so they feel inferior and not worthy or good enough because they don't have it.

You know what women love? Massive muscles, a big penis and a wallet full of limitless credit cards.

Don't have that? Too bad... you're not good enough...
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Personally, even when I was younger and much thinner, my thighs rubbed together. I HATED it! I am hoping that I will get to the point, even slightly, where they don't rub together anymore.

THIGH GAPS ARE OK.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    i'm completely indifferent to this topic.
  • SquidgySquidge
    SquidgySquidge Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This thread is bad, some people have thigh gaps without wanting one or trying to get one.
    How nice of you to say you find them unattractive.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options

don't say that...

This and the original post is offensive to girls WITHOUT thigh gaps and WITH thigh gaps! ...especially cause its something to do with bone structure and some women can't help having them, or not being able to get one :(
  • BeccaBollons
    BeccaBollons Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I am the only woman in my family with no thigh gap. I have the same hips they have, but I was blessed with what I used to think of as thunder thighs. I am learning to love my thighs now. I have one thing the rest of my family has never had. MUSCLE. Much sexier in shorts than skinny legs ( but not so great in jeans). We all have our own individual shape, and we have to like it or lump it. If you've never had a thigh gap before, you're never likely to get one.
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    It is a personal opinion. I also happen to think people that are so overweight that all their curves are overwhelmed by obesity isn't partiuclarly a femine look or attactive either. Everyone has personal prefences. You can't start saying that I can't say that a thigh gap is unattractive. To me it is. Clearly to others it is not. I am interested to why. Is it that you like the way it looks? Or is it something more like a demonstration of achievement, I guess in the same way building muscle might be....?

Surely you have to be at a really low body weight and really low muscle mass, in addition to the right body shape, to achieve a thigh gap?
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm so sad that this thread came from a woman.

As if we don't have enough to worry about.
  • mum212
    mum212 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    easier access lol............... i dont want a big gap but a little one so i have smaller thighs i like my thighs
    i do think it is attractive when you are wearing skinny jeans all girls are different and they should be able to look how they want it makes them feel more confident
This discussion has been closed.