Thigh gap - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Options

Replies

• leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Do we really care whether one teenager .....

Now that really is flattering! :D
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    *waits for all the guys to come on and say otherwise*
    I think you're more likely to have women coming in here and saying otherwise actually.
    I think if a woman wants a gap between her legs she should just open them.
    *gigglesnorts*
  • pollyineedtobeskinny
    Options
    Thigh gaps would be a nice thing to have, but there is a certain extent. Sometimes peoples thighs are far too skinny and far apart...

I have wide hips and big thighs, there's a tiny gap appearing & I like it, mostly because it hurts when your legs rub together in the summer ::noway:
  • Marie_25
    Marie_25 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I think you're more likely to have women coming in here and saying otherwise actually.

FLMAO!!!!!! Nice one!!
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    OP, I do not like you. You are a very not nice person. Why in the world do you feel the need to post something like this????

I agree that if you don't have the bone structure for a thigh gap at a healthy weight, it's ridiculous to feel had about not having it. But some women's bodies are built so that they naturally have one and you just told all those women, who can't do anything to change it, that they are unfeminine and ugly.

Shame on you.

:drinker:
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    My thighs have never seen any type of gap since God decided to make me a pear. I'm not a firm believer in so skinny but know there are women out there that have the opposite problem and have been blessed with no thighs. I think there is a big genetic picture here allowing one to change only so much.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Hating on other women's bodies is wrong, and needs to stop. Whether or not you have a thigh gap depends on your bone structure. Some women will have one even when their body fat percentage is quite high (e.g. high end of the normal range) - others will not have one even at 13% body fat.

Calling it "unfeminine" and "unattractive" is not really fair on women who naturally have one. Maybe a thigh gap looks bad on someone who starved themselves ridiculously underweight to get one..... but they look good on women who have them naturally when their body composition is healthy.

This is one thing I really can't stand.... when women of one body type hate on women with another body type.... it's all over MFP. Why can't you learn to love yourselves without putting others down in the process?

AFRIGGINMEN!
  • Fedup23
    Fedup23 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    WE MEN LOVE ITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT XXXX

You just can't speak for all men because :
    A - Not all men love it.
    B - Women think that men expect it because of these statements
    C - It's damaging to speak for a whole society because society is fickle and you're teaching women to try to obtain something which just isn't possible for everyone, and so they feel inferior and not worthy or good enough because they don't have it.

You know what women love? Massive muscles, a big penis and a wallet full of limitless credit cards.

Don't have that? Too bad... you're not good enough...

Whats the point of a wallet "full" of limitless credit cards.. if its limitless dont you need just one? :) The rest.. eh.. overreaction.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

A sensible, male solution to the problem, as always. :bigsmile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Do we really care whether one teenager on the internet thinks thigh gaps are unattractive or unfeminine?

I know I don't.

It's too early in the morning where I live for body shaming.

Some days I care more than others, honestly.

But I do think that people need to be called out on stuff like this, in case they don't realize that they're being hurtful. My self-image isn't tied up in what this OP thinks, but someone else coming across a thread like this might be more affected.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    I am starting to get one...I can't help it..... :ohwell:
  • av8artist
    av8artist Posts: 46
    Options
    I never ever thought thigh gap was a problem, an issue or a sign of attractiveness/unattractiveness.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options

HA!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    gotta love the judging & hating on a physical feature that many women can't help having.
    in my opinion, it's as bad as picking on people for needing glasses or having small tits.

but if beating on skinny people boosts your feeble self esteem...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It is a personal opinion. I also happen to think people that are so overweight that all their curves are overwhelmed by obesity isn't partiuclarly a femine look or attactive either. Everyone has personal prefences. You can't start saying that I can't say that a thigh gap is unattractive. To me it is. Clearly to others it is not. I am interested to why. Is it that you like the way it looks? Or is it something more like a demonstration of achievement, I guess in the same way building muscle might be....?

Surely you have to be at a really low body weight and really low muscle mass, in addition to the right body shape, to achieve a thigh gap?

I don't have a really low body weight or muscle mass and I have a gap. People are designed differently you see, a bit like intelligent people and stupid people, everyone is different....

You don't have to be super thin to have one and like I said earlier, I didn't try for mine. I'm 5'4" and I first noticed it at around 140 lbs. That's near the high end of healthy. Now I'm 130, right in the middle of healthy. I actually have big thighs, it's where I store the most fat. But I also have really wide hips. I'm at 25% body fat.

ETA: Here is a recent photo of me. You can't see my thigh gap because of the way I'm standing but I want to point out that I am *not* anorexic looking and have plenty of curves.

c7810ada-3735-4686-b0ba-aa0847f226b5_zpscfbe3862.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Do we really care whether one teenager on the internet thinks thigh gaps are unattractive or unfeminine?

I know I don't.

It's too early in the morning where I live for body shaming.

Some days I care more than others, honestly.

But I do think that people need to be called out on stuff like this, in case they don't realize that they're being hurtful. My self-image isn't tied up in what this OP thinks, but someone else coming across a thread like this might be more affected.

^^^^ totally this. I couldn't really give a rat's hairy behind whether some random internet person would like how my legs look or not... but there are a lot of women (especially very young women) who are a lot more vulnerable to being negatively affected by body shaming, in some cases to the point of doing unhealthy things to try and fix a "problem" when there isn't even anything wrong.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    i'm completely indifferent to this topic.

:drinker:
  • 73Freckles
    73Freckles Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    "Gap" in general is just not a sexy word. Throw some soft curves in there and that's hot!
  • BlackStarDeceiver
    BlackStarDeceiver Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    oh look, more body shaming.
  • danbi89
    danbi89 Posts: 18
    Options
    Having been quite big in my teen years, I use to get awful (tmi coming up) sweat rashes between my thighs, so I have always wanted the thigh gap myself, I think just as a way to know I'm very far away to the weight I use to be. Now I'm thinner, I don't want it as much as I did before, wouldn't say no but don't really care if I get it or not. However, some reasons like this may be the reason some girls want it. I don't know o.o

I don't think it's unattractive since I guess it depends on body shape etc. It's natural for some peoples shape and I don't agree with labeling something unattractive on others.
This discussion has been closed.