• SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Did this thread really just happen???

You seem surprised...:laugh:
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    ah, gotta love the threads under Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games. I don't think anything the OP said was particularly offensive…it's all in good fun and general curiosity.

As for me, I would like a minor gap for comfort, not appearance. I would love to wear my skirts and dresses without needing shorts underneath. I would love for my inner thighs not to chafe anytime I walk in a bathing suit on a hot summer day. Those are my reasons.

Not sure if it's possible for me though, even after more weight-loss and toning. I think my legs are destined to meet each other with each step. One thing's for sure, it's a whole lot better now ~30lbs down!
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Or "lets make ourselves feel better about something we can't be bothered to work towards by making out it's not attractive".
    Whoa, whoa, let's not get crazy here and swing the other way. It isn't always about how much work is put in.

The worst thing about threads like these is that ultimately judgy begets judgy :(
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Ok. I've obviously upset a lot of people and that was not my intention.

I have never seen a 'thigh gap' on a healthy looking, fully developed woman before and was under the impression it was generally an unattainable thing for most people's body shapes. It seems though that a lot of you claim to have it at a healthy weight. So to those of you that fit in this category, I didn't mean to offend you. Probably most of the pictures of the 'thigh gap' that are spread on the internet are from underfed girls and these are the ones, to me, that don't seem particularly attractive.

My questions came from a place where I didn't understand why people were trying to attain a body shape that seemed, at least to me, not to be desirable and one that is very closely associated with pro-ana behaviours.

What I have learned from this thread
    - apparently this is natural body shape for a lot of women
    - don't voice controversial opinions on forums

And for those of you that have somehow decided you know me on me based on my question, you should know that I live a wonderful life and I'm not insecure about my body or any other part of my life.
  • FH36251
    FH36251 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Or "lets make ourselves feel better about something we can't be bothered to work towards by making out it's not attractive".
    Whoa, whoa, let's not get crazy here and swing the other way. It isn't always about how much work is put in.
    Haha, tongue in cheek post. It riles me up with all the skinny-slagging on here at times, It's just the only way some people understand, y'know.

Anyway, all you non-gappers, I work in an industry (Pole fitness instruction) where having a thigh gap can be quite a disadvantage. Why not play to your strengths while toning up, instead of *****ing and whining about it...
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    The body shaming in this thread is ridic.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Don't care.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    1610_full.jpg

I have thunder thighs.
    And that's a compliment
    because they are strong.
    And toned
    And muscular
    And though they are unwelcome
    in the petite section
    They are cheered on in marathons.
    Fifty years from now
    I'll bounce a grandchild on my thunder thighs
    And then I'll go out for a run.

Just Do It.

Nikewomen.com
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Hating on other women's bodies is wrong, and needs to stop. Whether or not you have a thigh gap depends on your bone structure. Some women will have one even when their body fat percentage is quite high (e.g. high end of the normal range) - others will not have one even at 13% body fat.

Calling it "unfeminine" and "unattractive" is not really fair on women who naturally have one. Maybe a thigh gap looks bad on someone who starved themselves ridiculously underweight to get one..... but they look good on women who have them naturally when their body composition is healthy.

This is one thing I really can't stand.... when women of one body type hate on women with another body type.... it's all over MFP. Why can't you learn to love yourselves without putting others down in the process?

I don't understand why this thread continued past this post.

Oh, wait, it's mfp.
  • hollybug1016
    hollybug1016 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think it would be cool if my thighs didn't rub together & for that reason I used to yearn for a "thigh gap". Unfortunately, even when I was a 110 pound teenager in perfect shape I did not have one & I know I never will. I will forever have to yank my shorts out of my crotch. Oh well. I think I can live with it.
  • apnovack
    apnovack Posts: 40
    Options
    *waits for all the guys to come on and say otherwise*

I think you're more likely to have women coming in here and saying otherwise actually.

I think if a woman wants a gap between her legs she should just open them.

So, So bad but FUNNY!
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    whoever is offended on this thread obviously have thigh gaps.
    Or simply think that people who have time in their lives to judge others genetics and body structure are just sh*tty.

Or people like you trying to stir the pot and keep this awful thread going for pages and pages.
  • Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I find it sexy, and it's a small thing I'd like to achieve for myself. Is it sexier to have your thighs rub together all the time and make your skin break out? How is it sexy to see your thighs mashed next to each other in a bathing suit? Maybe it's just me, but I'd love for my thighs to be slimmer.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Why does it matter if you ind them unattractive? Am I supposed to give a flying ****?

Seriously people need to get over themselves.

I don't have one, close, but am not aspiring for one. If it happens then it happens.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm so sad that this thread came from a woman.

As if we don't have enough to worry about.

^^^^^AGREED 150%^^^^^^^^^
    Seriously, ugh, that's all I gotta say. Just....ugh!
  • leilaphoenix
    Options
    I find it sexy, and it's a small thing I'd like to achieve for myself. Is it sexier to have your thighs rub together all the time and make your skin break out? How is it sexy to see your thighs mashed next to each other in a bathing suit? Maybe it's just me, but I'd love for my thighs to be slimmer.

Someone who has the opposite opinion to me. QUICK. HATE ON THEM. "You must be so insecure with your own life...blah blah blah."

But seriously, thank you. A sensible answer!
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Hating on other women's bodies is wrong, and needs to stop. Whether or not you have a thigh gap depends on your bone structure. Some women will have one even when their body fat percentage is quite high (e.g. high end of the normal range) - others will not have one even at 13% body fat.

Calling it "unfeminine" and "unattractive" is not really fair on women who naturally have one. Maybe a thigh gap looks bad on someone who starved themselves ridiculously underweight to get one..... but they look good on women who have them naturally when their body composition is healthy.

This is one thing I really can't stand.... when women of one body type hate on women with another body type.... it's all over MFP. Why can't you learn to love yourselves without putting others down in the process?

^^^THIS^^^ Why is it that women obsess over their bodies. Please, stop it. When I was very thin, I did not have a thigh gap because my pelvis is narrow and I had muscular thighs. There are MANY women like this and it needs to be okay. Likewise, there are many women with a wide pelvis and thin/lightly muscled thighs who might always have a thigh gap--even if they work their thigh muscles extensively. This needs to be okay too.
  • leilaphoenix
    Options
    Also. I'm giving up on this now.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    WOW she's skinny. Hmmmm how do I feel about thigh gap..... I lose sleep at night worrying about it...... i feel like - well - if you want it- get it and if you don't want it- don't. ;)

Basically. I never even heard of a thigh gap until people started bashing people who have one on here. Are you looking at chicks coochies to see if they have one or not? Wtf does it matter who has one?
  • helplesslyhappy
    Options
    I will use my thigh gap as a cup holder, like at the movies....or in the car! There are practical applications for everything these days. :)
This discussion has been closed.