Squats all the way down?

Options

Replies

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Please remember:
    perfect-squat.jpg

That's great! Right clicking and saving that one.

ALWAYS squat as low as you can with good form!
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    IIRC for an Olympic squat to count you must go past parallel. Power lifters stop at 90˚

I could be wrong on that. Maybe someone else can chime in on that point?

Power lifters have to go past parallel or past 90 degrees. I didn't know there was Olympic squatting. My point being its hard to think about did I or didn't break parallel on my squat in competition when you have a max on your shoulders. It breaks your focus. Wide stance in squat helps keep your knees from going past your feet. Close stance I would do hack squats for reps or leg presses for reps. We use to call close stance sissy squats,lol. Also I do a low bar back squat.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    an anesthesiologist

I can't help but think this person threw out their credentials to try to make you think it matters. I don't think the schooling to become an anethesiologist covered how to do a proper squat.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    an anesthesiologist

I can't help but think this person threw out their credentials to try to make you think it matters. I don't think the schooling to become an anethesiologist covered how to do a proper squat.

So true^. Sounds like he was trying to strike up a conversation with you and brag about being a anethesiologist(creditability lost with that comment) to impress you.
    Question is did he have the leg muscle to back up what he said or is he an internet lifter?
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Please remember:
    perfect-squat.jpg

Yep!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Not only is keeping your knees over your heels wrong, it's also physically impossible. Try it right now with no weight. If you keep your knees over your ankles, you will fall over backwards at about 5 degrees of knee bend.

I've never heard anyone say to keep your knees over your heels when squatting only that your knees shouldn't go in front of your toes.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't listen to an anesthesiologist about body mechanics. Sorry, I'm sure the guy is intelligent, but like every other expert out there, he runs the risk of working out of his expertise. If you are having knee pain from deep squats, then stop. If you are not, then keep it up. They're great for your glutes.

yup.

Anesthesiology is one of the hardest medical professions to get into. I think he just might be considered an expert on the human body since he has several years of medical school. His profession requires him to be in tune with the human body.

I'm not saying he is right or not on squats but I don't think I would dismiss him because he is "just an anesthesiologist"

^^I feel you...most people on MFP think they're experts....as for the OP/keep up the squats..if your form is good and it feels right keep it up
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to invest a little money, I recommend getting Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. The first chapter is on squats and it's one of the most extensive explanations I've read about form. The link below is for the Kindle version, but you can also get a hard copy version.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-ebook/dp/B006XJR5ZA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362689209&sr=8-2&keywords=starting+strength
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    All you have to do is get just past parallel (check that the crease of your hips is just below your knees). This will engage your hamstrings and ensure you don't mess up your knees with a muscle imbalance. I don't know of any harm in going deeper; but this person was correct in saying you're not gaining any additional benefit.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Another vote to read Starting Strength. It was recommended to me by a friend here on MFP and I bought a hard copy and Kindle version. It's a great reference. If you have a Kindle, the sample chapter you can download for free is the chapter on squats.

RE: the anesthesiologist comments… I agree that an anesthesiologist isn't necessarily the best credentials for squat instruction. But I find it funny how many people were dismissive about an anesthesiologist offering squat advice, then went on to offer squatting advice as "some guy/gal on the Internet."
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    scrub the ground
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    scrub the ground

" Sand the floor. Sand the floor. Big circles."
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Another vote to read Starting Strength. It was recommended to me by a friend here on MFP and I bought a hard copy and Kindle version. It's a great reference. If you have a Kindle, the sample chapter you can download for free is the chapter on squats.

RE: the anesthesiologist comments… I agree that an anesthesiologist isn't necessarily the best credentials for squat instruction. But I find it funny how many people were dismissive about an anesthesiologist offering squat advice, then went on to offer squatting advice as "some guy/gal on the Internet."

I was just about to say the same thing! Who cares about someone who has gone through medical school, when you can find all the answers from someone who searches in wikipedia?!? Consider your sources y'all!

And FYI - this coming from someone who works in the medical field with high caliber athletes!!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    And FYI - this coming from someone who works in the medical field with high caliber athletes!!
    Says you...
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Please remember:
    perfect-squat.jpg

Funny...just the other day I was noticing that my toddler had perfect form without even trying. I actually ran and got my wife to show her as he was just squatting and playing with something. Then he pushed up and ran over to grab one of his tonka trucks...guess what? Perfect dead-lift form as well. It was awesome. I wonder where we all eventually go wrong and develop bad form since it's obviously so very natural.

I personally am not flexible enough to go much past parallel though.

When we're young the 'supporting' muscles to do things with bad form aren't developed enough, so correct form is the easiest.
    As we get older the other muscles get stronger and we can 'successfully' perform poor form motions and it seems easier so we keep doing it.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Please remember:
    perfect-squat.jpg

This^. You should seek out the anesthesiologist the next time you're at the gym and tell him that he'd do well to learn the 7 primal movements. The best squat position is the one that you'd naturally get into if nature called. For most people, it's feet out at a 30 degree or so angle, and down to the level you're currently going.

The 90 degree thing is positively reckless in my view. It makes the knees act as brakes and was no doubt a theory first espoused by someone with poor flexibility. The irony is that it's largely espoused by people saying it protects the knees.

I go to within 3 inches of the ground.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If your knees will take it you want your hip joint to break the plane of your knee joint, if not you at least want your hip joint to go parallel with your knee joint.

^^^ THIS
    Your butt should drop down a little lower than your legs being parallel to the ground. If he says anything to you again, tell him you prefer to do it like Schwarzenegger trained right before he won Mr Olympia.
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Your nosy anesthesiologist friend is half right. ATG squats are more risky than regular squats. However, if your form is good then going all the way down is perfectly fine and even beneficial.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Says you...

Says my years of experience. My national certification. And my state certification. If you don't know what a Certified Athletic Trainer is...you should. I actually do know what I'm talking about
  • bensabo
    bensabo Posts: 1
    Options
    Great discussion in here! I'd agree that being an anesthesiologist doesn't qualify someone as a squatting expert, but unfortunately, neither does being a trainer, coach, CSCS, athlete, etc... Credentials aren't all that meaningful.

Personal experience isn't proof of anything either. For example, just because someone gets hurt squatting (or bench pressing, or running...) that doesn't mean the movement is to blame. And while I'm in favor of deep squats myself, and have not personally experienced an injury, that doesn't mean everyone should pursue the development of maximal strength in the deep squat.

In my opinion though, being able to perform a full-depth bodyweight squat is just part of basic movement competency. Here's an interesting experiment you can perform on your own: can you sit down on the floor and stand up again without using your elbows, hands or knees? This study showed that an inability to do this is another indicator of increased mortality risk in subjects aged 51-80:

http://cpr.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/12/10/2047487312471759.full