859 calories shopping?

Options

Replies

• shubec85
    shubec85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't log my daily grocery shopping....but If I am out for a night or afternoon of shopping I will put in half....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 - I read what you wrote, and I get what you're saying. I catch myself thinking, "yeah, it is different, walking in a mall vs treadmilling a mile or three." But then, I'm forgetting about how winded I got walking up 13 steps between the floors in my house, and how tired I was if I went to the mall and went to two stores and browsed for a half hour... It has been so long now that I nearly forgot what it was like to be sweaty and tired, feet hurting, tough to breathe... The way, you know, a "real" workout might make you feel.

I don't know if the OP is obese, I don't know how much the OP eats, I am not going to go look. I'm just saying, you've either never been morbidly obese, or you're forgetting what it felt like if you're writing off walking through the mall for four hours.

Would I log 850 calories? No. Or at least not eat all of them back (only some, IF I were hungry). But to say it's "not exercise" or is included in a sedentary activity level is nonsense. I agree OP should change to lightly active.

Exactly, let he with out sin and all. Don't forget we are all here to SUPPORT each other. Does anyone on this thread know the OP in real life? If not then we can't say how this would effect her. I remember being 30 lbs heavier then what I am now and not being ABLE to walk around the mall for that long, even at a slow pace. Even now I don't know if I could do it for four hours, especially toting about 30lbs of crap. We all start somewhere, and there is no need to be RUDE or DISRESPECTFUL to someone who is starting and looking for some help. OP please feel free to add me.

i was not rude..i just said it is not exercise and should not be logged as such..

IF the OP did not want answers then don't post a thread...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Thin people also don't have as much body mass to move around,

Because they move around and don't worry about getting extra "nutrition" to compensate.

Oh hey, some more sizeism.

Didn't you know, when people who are overweight eat food it is only "nutrition" *wink wink somebody wants a cookie*. We never eat back exercise calories with protein or veggies, lol.

NEVER, OBVIOUSLY FAT PEOPLE EAT NOTHING BUT DONUTS AND COOKIES AND BIG MACS AND WE LIVE SOLELY FOR EXCUSES TO EAT MORE OF OUR PRECIOUS FATTY FOOD, WE ARE ALL MINDLESS COOKIE ZOMBIES!

Now I really want a cookie!! Man, I'm such a fat *kitten*.

*Gasp* That's fat people thinking! Don't think like that, or you'll become fat! Which is such a horrible HORRIBLE fate! :laugh:

Oh, noes!! I'm going to get fat and then no man will ever love me!! My only goal in life is to be aesthetically pleasing to men!!!!!!111!!1!!1!!!1!

NO ITS ABOUT THE HEALTH, BECAUSE FAT MAEKZ U UNHEALTHY AUTOMATICALLY!! AND EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN SHAME PEOPLE INTO HEALTH RITE!?

I really don't get this. One person in the thread you quoted, who has not been back, yet you continue to derail the thread with this.
  • DarkDiva2005
    Options
    ndj1979 - I read what you wrote, and I get what you're saying. I catch myself thinking, "yeah, it is different, walking in a mall vs treadmilling a mile or three." But then, I'm forgetting about how winded I got walking up 13 steps between the floors in my house, and how tired I was if I went to the mall and went to two stores and browsed for a half hour... It has been so long now that I nearly forgot what it was like to be sweaty and tired, feet hurting, tough to breathe... The way, you know, a "real" workout might make you feel.

I don't know if the OP is obese, I don't know how much the OP eats, I am not going to go look. I'm just saying, you've either never been morbidly obese, or you're forgetting what it felt like if you're writing off walking through the mall for four hours.

Would I log 850 calories? No. Or at least not eat all of them back (only some, IF I were hungry). But to say it's "not exercise" or is included in a sedentary activity level is nonsense. I agree OP should change to lightly active.

Exactly, let he with out sin and all. Don't forget we are all here to SUPPORT each other. Does anyone on this thread know the OP in real life? If not then we can't say how this would effect her. I remember being 30 lbs heavier then what I am now and not being ABLE to walk around the mall for that long, even at a slow pace. Even now I don't know if I could do it for four hours, especially toting about 30lbs of crap. We all start somewhere, and there is no need to be RUDE or DISRESPECTFUL to someone who is starting and looking for some help. OP please feel free to add me.

i was not rude..i just said it is not exercise and should not be logged as such..

You stated your opinion, yes I will agree with that. But once you started with the remarks of a 4mph incline on your keyboard and logging sitting at your computer then you fell into the category of childish and rude. Also my remark was not specifically aimed at you (the one in this post is however) so the way I look at it you knew yourself that how you were responding was incorrect and felt the need to defend yourself.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    NO ITS ABOUT THE HEALTH, BECAUSE FAT MAEKZ U UNHEALTHY AUTOMATICALLY!! AND EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN SHAME PEOPLE INTO HEALTH RITE!?

Reactionary, shrill and unhelpful. Just an FYI - reason tends to work better to change minds. It's too easy to tune out everything a person is saying when they are being extreme. Consider this your public service announcement for the day.

a8cVqo8.jpg
  • rajeevdsouza
    Options
    If a 3+ hour shopping is not what you do daily or every other day, I would vote Log it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

You stated your opinion, yes I will agree with that. But once you started with the remarks of a 4mph incline on your keyboard and logging sitting at your computer then you fell into the category of childish and rude. Also my remark was not specifically aimed at you (the one in this post is however) so the way I look at it you knew yourself that how you were responding was incorrect and felt the need to defend yourself.

no more of a wise a$s then the folks who took the above thread totally out of proportion and somehow turned this into everyone who thinks mall logging should not be logged "hates fat people because we gave advice, counter to what the OP wanted to hear..." I have no idea if the OP is fat, curvy, think whatever...either way I always say that mall walking, cleaning, etc should not be logged as exercise, because it is not exercise......thats my story and I am sticking to it...
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Opinions?

do you really want them?
    MY opinion is to not log it. you walked a bit more. congrats.

seems to me you want to log it.

log it.
  • DarkDiva2005
    Options

no more of a wise a$s then the folks who took the above thread totally out of proportion and somehow turned this into everyone who thinks mall logging should not be logged "hates fat people because we gave advice, counter to what the OP wanted to hear..." I have no idea if the OP is fat, curvy, think whatever...either way I always say that mall walking, cleaning, etc should not be logged as exercise, because it is not exercise......thats my story and I am sticking to it...

I agree with you, hence the part about my original comment not being aimed at you. It was a very broad statement. And I can respect your opinion that cleaning, and shopping should not be logged as other then daily activities. But again that is YOUR opinion, not everyone's. In my opinion, an abnormally long shopping trip does count. Just as when and if I have the time to take my 3 huskys out for a walk I count that because that's over an hour of something I do not normally do. Again, these are OUR opinions, it really is up to the OP to do what she believes is best for her.
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Now, mercy knows that no one is allowed to eat under TDEE -20% or the gremlins will molest them, ...

I don't know you, but you are now my favorite person ever.
  • liberty338
    liberty338 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE, please go back and re-read the original post.

This endless bickering is what reminds me why I have not visited a forum of any kind for a few years until recently here. Seriously, it depresses me....*****discreatly leaves the room. Never to retrun.******** :heart:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    EVERYONE, please go back and re-read the original post.

This endless bickering is what reminds me why I have not visited a forum of any kind for a few years until recently here. Seriously, it depresses me....*****discreatly leaves the room. Never to retrun.******** :heart:

*waves and wishes you the best*
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Reactionary, shrill and unhelpful. Just an FYI - reason tends to work better to change minds. It's too easy to tune out everything a person is saying when they are being extreme. Consider this your public service announcement for the day.

a8cVqo8.jpg

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • malawi447
    malawi447 Posts: 12
    Options
    I don't want to get mixed up in the drama, but would still like to shed some light on the topic. For certain immeasurable amounts of physical activity like the shopping trip that has been described, I count the walking as part of my 10,000 step goal on my pedometer because even though it isn't exactly cardio, it's better than sitting in front of the TV. I don't count it as strenuous exercise though.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Why does every movement during the day need to be compensated for with extra food regardless of whether it was normal or not? That's fat people thinking. If you only log these things so it looks good for your friends that's rather pointless too. Thin people don't come home from shopping wondering how many calories they burned or how if they can eat that extra cookie because they shopped today.

The whole thing is a mindset that needs to be changed. Every movement doesn't require a reward of food. You don't get a gold star every time you actually do something, it's life. Some days you do more, some days you do less. It all evens out in the end. I bet the days you don't feel like doing much you don't deduct calories because you sat on your butt all day.

amen
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are overcomplicating the matter. It has been established here that the HRM isn't really an appropriate tool for measuring your shopping burn, and it seems debatable to people here as to whether or not your shopping trip "counts" in terms of calories for the day.

I agree with those posters that say log about half of the time as a slow walk so as not to overestimate the caloric expenditure, then only eat those calories if you are hungry for them. No big deal.

This whole system involves a little bit of guesswork here and there... I don't sweat the small stuff. The way I see it, if I continue to lose weight while counting about half of my calories for out-of-the-ordinary but non-strenuous exercise, great. If I stall, I'll re-evaluate.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are overcomplicating the matter. It has been established here that the HRM isn't really an appropriate tool for measuring your shopping burn, and it seems debatable to people here as to whether or not your shopping trip "counts" in terms of calories for the day.

I agree with those posters that say log about half of the time as a slow walk so as not to overestimate the caloric expenditure, then only eat those calories if you are hungry for them. No big deal.

This whole system involves a little bit of guesswork here and there... I don't sweat the small stuff. The way I see it, if I continue to lose weight while counting about half of my calories for out-of-the-ordinary but non-strenuous exercise, great. If I stall, I'll re-evaluate.

I agree with this. I too would suggest logging about half and not eating it back--just logging it so you can see if you can add more activity the next week. Unless I've missed it in some of the comments, I think it is great you walked around that much and if that felt out of the ordinary for you and like exercise, then it is exercise. I completely understand how it is different than the amount of walking you would do for your grocery shopping. I used to always run around campus and do more walking and then, after six months of being on a research grant and writing a book, I found myself exhausted going to the mall. I found myself asking my husband to run more and more errands (I am 5'7 and had hit 340lbs--now down to 311).

When I would park far from an exit and go walk around, it was great and I was proud. When I started logging and actually tracking exercise 60 days ago, I wore my HRM and burned 382 calories walking two miles (granted, I was going as quickly as I could and dripping sweat). In just two months, I am significantly more in shape and burn less than that (or at least have increased the speed and intensity enough to burn more).

I was even table to have TDEE VO2 max testing done and compared to my Polar HRM and the burn was nearly identical (and while that may not be the case for everyone, it does make for an interesting example here). The point is, a HRM isn't meant to be worn all day and I wouldn't wear mine to the mall, but walking is indeed exercise for someone very out of shape (mall walking is a popular form of activity) and I only hope you find yourself able to add more and more such activities. I never thought I'd finish three 5ks and a 7k in two months, but...I have and I did it one step at a time. You get faster and stronger each and every time out, so just keep going!
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    no, just no...

this is not exercise..this is just daily activity..

I walk up and down the stairs at work 20 times a day ..I do not count that as exercise...

No, this is not daily activity. I do not go shopping at the mall and walk for the most part of 4 hours. I do not count weekly shopping trips to walmart etc. I was also toting bags of clothes, shoes

Ummm so a trip to the mall counts, but a trip to walmart does not? I am missing something here...?

You really should not log daily activities - shopping, work, cleaning, walking to car, etc....as "exercise" just my opinion...

No, walmart trips are my normal routine. Are you reading what I am posting? The mall trip for almost 4 hours was more than I normally do in a week.

no, walking around the mall is not exercise sorry .it just is not..

I went to the mall last weekend and walked around for two hours..that is not exercise..that is something I did during the day aka daily activity...

I would agree with other posters and post half of your time in there as walking slow. People might not realize that when you'r not extremely active, and/or your overweight- any extra walking or movement is a plus and an accomplishment. It's a feat any way that we look at it.

FYI- I would go to Meijer's JUST to walk around because I was something I could do. - I counted it. Anything that i don't normally do everyday I log. If i went to the mall EVERY day - then I would not log it. But if I go maybe every two weeks, and im spending a good amount of time moving around- I might and probably will log it--however I don't normally eat all my exercise calories back for that reason. .

However, I don't always feel those calorie MFP enters are accurate. So i will enter in my time and activity and I will adjust the calories to a lower level.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    But MFP doesn't use TDEE. If it did, it wouldn't be adding exercise calories to your daily targets... Including such rudimentary things as cleaning, gardening, fishing, and walking. Yes, setting an activity level includes some stuff, but the OP clearly stated she was set to sedentary, so MFP wants practically everything logged as exercise. They should change it, and allow for a TDEE-% approach.

Sedentary doesn't mean laying around all day, it only means not having an active job. I'm sedentary by MFP's standards because I have a desk job. MFP still assumes that you move around, clean house, cook meals, do your shopping, get yourself to and from work, do personal care, and have some leisure time. Sedentary is not comatose requiring every movement extra than breathing to be logged.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Yes, log most of it, but not all. It was walking and lifting weight, so why not?