859 calories shopping?

Options
123457»

Replies

• wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Sedentary doesn't mean laying around all day, it only means not having an active job. I'm sedentary by MFP's standards because I have a desk job. MFP still assumes that you move around, clean house, cook meals, do your shopping, get yourself to and from work, do personal care, and have some leisure time. Sedentary is not comatose requiring every movement extra than breathing to be logged.
    Most weekends my daughter is with her dad, so on Saturdays I turn on Super Slug Mode. That means I get up around maybe noon or 1 pm (maybe even later!), use the wash room, go sit at the computer for several hours. I may wander around the house a bit, to the kitchen, to the bathroom, but basically I sit on my butt. In the evening I get in my car--attached garage--go to the local pizza place and walk, I dunno, maybe 50 feet? from my car to the counter and then back home again. I sit down and watch hockey and fart around on the computer for the rest of the night. That is IT. I don't clean house, I don't cook meals (other than the pizza I pick up, I may make a sandwich or eat a yogurt), I don't go to the store, I don't even take a shower.

I'm set to sedentary on here, which gives me ~2100 calories.

I have a Bodymedia Fit and on Super Slug Saturdays, guess how many calories I burn?

~2100.

For serious.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I believe sedentary is considered under 6000 steps a day.

I have an office job, I sit at a desk for 8 hours, so my activity is sedentary. My fitbbit says I burn about 1700 calories a day.

I rarely have a shopping day as described by the OP, but the last time I did, my fitbit recorded and extra 8 miles of walking, and gave me a large calorie adjustment on MFP.

I have no idea why someone thinks you will burn the same calories walking for 8 miles that you would being sat at a desk.

It is not exercise, but it is an increase in your NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)
    Michael Mosely ( he of the 5:2 fasting diet fame) did a Horizon programme about this, and managed to increase his NEAT by 500 calories a day by just moving about more.

In that situation, if you were going to do it regularly you would increase your MFP activity level, but as a one off, you have definitely burnt more calories than during your normal sedentary day.

So, OP, I suppose it's up to you. You have legitimately burnt an extra few hundred calories, so if you want to eat them and not feel guilty you can.

Or, just treat them as an extra defict.
  • slhodge78
    slhodge78 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have been maintaining at 120 lbs since last October. I set my calorie goal to my sedentary tdee and I log all extra exercise (cleaning, shopping, sex). I estimate things like shopping as half the time walking 2 miles per hour. This method has worked for me as I have maintained since then. I don't bother with daily calorie goals anymore and just focus on being close on my weekly goals. My experience is that sendentary does not include things like cleaning and shopping. If I didn't log them and eat back the calories, I would still be in a deficit.

That said, I think the actual calories burns from these activities amount to no more than a couple hundred calories on the best days. If you are still wanting to lose weight, it may be better not to eat the calories back. I would log them for record though, as I think they are helpful in more deep analysis of weight loss patterns (I'm a math geek so I like that kind of stuff).

Don't let people make you feel like the physical activity you do isn't good enough. It may not be intense cardio, but it a whole lot better than sitting on the couch and it does burn calories.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    But MFP doesn't use TDEE. If it did, it wouldn't be adding exercise calories to your daily targets... Including such rudimentary things as cleaning, gardening, fishing, and walking. Yes, setting an activity level includes some stuff, but the OP clearly stated she was set to sedentary, so MFP wants practically everything logged as exercise. They should change it, and allow for a TDEE-% approach.

Sedentary doesn't mean laying around all day, it only means not having an active job. I'm sedentary by MFP's standards because I have a desk job. MFP still assumes that you move around, clean house, cook meals, do your shopping, get yourself to and from work, do personal care, and have some leisure time. Sedentary is not comatose requiring every movement extra than breathing to be logged.
    So what setting do truly sedentary people use? You know, the people who DON'T move around much, DON'T clean house, DON'T cook meals, DON'T go shopping, DON'T leave the house for work, DON'T do personal care, and spend their leisure time playing video games or watching TV? If that's not sedentary, then I don't know what is!
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I say log it, eat it, justify it however you want then we'll wait for the post in a couple weeks asking why you aren't losing.

Sedentary doesn't mean dead or laying on the couch all day, it means not having an active job where you walk all day or lift heavy things. It includes everyday activities.

Unless you are the incredible shopping woman that runs through the mall at 4 mph toting 5 bags in each hand then shopping is not exercise. I haven't seen anyone at the mall doing more than a slow wander with lots of stops to look at things, stand in line to pay, wander to the next store, look some more...... repeat endlessly. The fact that you actually moved around today does not mean you need to compensate for it with food.

Wow thanks for ASSuming things. I have lost 19 lbs since Jan 6 and have adjusted my food intake and am slowly upping my activity levels. I also am not looking to compensate with food. Again, thanks for your useless assumptions. Here's a big shocker for you. I don't eat back calories burned. Imagine that!~ And I am still steadily loosing weight!!!!!! Crazy huh?

And to the rest of you who apparently can't read a post and correctly interpret the info, I don't count REGULAR shopping acitivity. I have never logged it before and have no intention of doing so now. I was merely curious about my HRM and what it would show for the 4 hr shopping trip. A lot of you people need to get over yourselves and stop comparing everyone to you. For the rest of you who actually had something helpful and intelligent to contribute to this thread, Thank you!
  • kelcro40
    Options
    no, just no...

this is not exercise..this is just daily activity..

I walk up and down the stairs at work 20 times a day ..I do not count that as exercise...

No, this is not daily activity. I do not go shopping at the mall and walk for the most part of 4 hours. I do not count weekly shopping trips to walmart etc. I was also toting bags of clothes, shoes

Why don't you just do what you want to do and not ask for opinions that you really don't care about?

Ummm so a trip to the mall counts, but a trip to walmart does not? I am missing something here...?

You really should not log daily activities - shopping, work, cleaning, walking to car, etc....as "exercise" just my opinion...

No, walmart trips are my normal routine. Are you reading what I am posting? The mall trip for almost 4 hours was more than I normally do in a week. Clear yet?

no, walking around the mall is not exercise sorry .it just is not..

I went to the mall last weekend and walked around for two hours..that is not exercise..that is something I did during the day aka daily activity...

Yes, walking is exercise. I go to the gym and bust *kitten* on the treadmill at an incline at 4 mph and I am pretty sure that is exercise. And yes, for the third time, it (an almost 4 hour shopping trip most of which I was walking albeit slower than 4 mph) is over and above what I would normally do on any day, therefor it is NOT normal daily activity. Thanks for your input though.

Why don't you just do what you want to do and not waste our time asking for opinions you don't care about?

Why don't you get over yourself? I asked for opinions knowing there would be so me people incapable of reading and or understanding what I was asking about. I'd say thanks for your time, but it was indeed a waste.
  • kelcro40
    Options
    And for anyone who wants to reply to me personally, dont waste your time. I got what I needed from the thread and am done here :)
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    no, just no...

this is not exercise..this is just daily activity..

I walk up and down the stairs at work 20 times a day ..I do not count that as exercise...

I wouldn't count shopping either BUT I went shopping for kettleball weights the other day and tried out several different weights.

Does that count?:wink: