Emotional affair-need advice!

Options

Replies

• BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    maybe YOU drove him to it.

OUCH! :huh:

Yeah that's kind of sh***y!! Leave it to a guy to post that!
    If you don't personally know the OP, then why would it be ****ty? You don't believe a female can drive a male away?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

If thats true then he should LEAVE and not CHEAT. Man up!
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    You must talk to him. Only through an open line of communication you can find out what truly is going on. You need the truth in order to make a decision about what is right for you.
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Divorce. It's obvious that he 's repeating the same pattern so nothing has changed. You have the right to be loved and not be toyed with emotionally. God bless. Pray on it and do what's best for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Hearing one side of a story and making suggestions on it is being subjective and not objective. To be objective, we'd need to hear his side.
    Why? Well, it could well be he is a flat out cheater, or like a friend of mine who was very devoted to his wife, he got tired of being ignored/mentally abused by his wife and found comfort and speaking with another female who thought he was a good guy.

Point is, it's NOT always the guy.

IDEA Fitness member
    I completely agree with this statement....there's always three sides to these things...his, hers, and the actual truth!

That being said though...sneaking around and cheating is a cowardly and crappy thing for anyone (man or woman) to do. When you've made a committment to someone, you should get out, or at least start the process of getting out, before getting involved with anyone else.
    If a couple has been together for a long time, lots of times it's difficult to leave because of fear. I don't disagree with getting out if the issue doesn't seem it can be resolved, but for many who are in this situation, they have no idea on how to do it. Splitting up assets, who gets what, someone's got to live somewhere else, can they survive on just their own income..........

IDEA Fitness member
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options

While I wouldn't put it this way....I will say this...

it takes two to make a relationship and two to break it...

so NO MATTER WHAT you choose to do...work it out, walk away and start fresh somewhere else (which is what I did, so i'm not talking out of my *kitten* here)...please please please....be circumspect and honest with yourself enough to admit that problems happened on both ends and there are parts of you that can be strengthened, bettered and improved upon...

all i'm sayin is...you have a right to be mad, but not holier than thou...that can wreck you for the next round (be it with him or someone else)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

If you don't personally know the OP, then why would it be ****ty? You don't believe a female can drive a male away?

IDEA Fitness member

^^^^ Excellent response!!! What's with these guys taking it so personally and the nasty comments? We're all adults here. We both know that both men AND women cheat and treat each other badly in relationship. This isn't a man bashing thread. Jeeshhh...talk about over reacting!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

It's not ABOUT gender, and if it were the woman cheating, I'm willing to BET you'd put all the blame on "HER", even though men can drive women away TOO. Besides, she did not ASK whose fault it was. She ASKED how to HANDLE the situation. And you went ahead to incriminate the whole male gender by basically saying "Males have no self control. If we are unhappy in a relationship we can't HELP but to cheat and break a woman's heart.".

UM, how about if a guy is unhappy in a relationship, he takes an HONORABLE approach and either leaves the woman on better terms, or tries to work it out?
  • BflSaberfan
    Options
    Hearing one side of a story and making suggestions on it is being subjective and not objective. To be objective, we'd need to hear his side.
    Why? Well, it could well be he is a flat out cheater, or like a friend of mine who was very devoted to his wife, he got tired of being ignored/mentally abused by his wife and found comfort and speaking with another female who thought he was a good guy.

IDEA Fitness member
    I completely agree with this statement....there's always three sides to these things...his, hers, and the actual truth!

That being said though...sneaking around and cheating is a cowardly and crappy thing for anyone (man or woman) to do. When you've made a committment to someone, you should get out, or at least start the process of getting out, before getting involved with anyone else.
    If a couple has been together for a long time, lots of times it's difficult to leave because of fear. I don't disagree with getting out if the issue doesn't seem it can be resolved, but for many who are in this situation, they have no idea on how to do it. Splitting up assets, who gets what, someone's got to live somewhere else, can they survive on just their own income..........

IDEA Fitness member

Again I say MAN UP and LEAVE, dont cheat.
  • winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options
    Talk to HIM. You've been together 17 years so you know communication is key. Perhaps after, you will decide on counseling or divorce. But seriously, what is a bunch of strangers going to really be able to tell you? The best advice is to keep your relationship issues "in house"...or at least go see a counselor.

Sharing your personal issues with him with a bunch of strangers isn't really going to do you any good. We don't know the whole story and what we tell you could be something that you really shouldn't take to heart. Also, I'm sure he'd be pissed if he found out and if this "messaging" turned out to be nothing...then this post would end up being the something that causes an argument (if he found out...which, though to point out, if you want honesty, you should also be able to return.)

I absolutely agree with what you are saying!!! I'm just in such shock and need to vent and figure out my feelings. This kinda hit me in the gut

I actually think that if you can get your "OMFG WTF ARRRGGHHHH!!!!!" out to people who don't matter first, you're in a better, more settled position to confront the person who actually matters when the time comes.

^^Yep. Get it out, process it, decide how you feel and what you want to say before you get into that emotional conversation. AND...know you're not alone. By posting stuff like this you have the chance to hear that it's happened to others (it has) and that they ended it (we did) and survived (phenomenally).
  • zozo34
    zozo34 Posts: 2
    Options
    Go to counseling individual( both of you) and couple counseling. Try to work it out. 17 years is a long time to be together.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Call the producers of "Maury" and "Cheaters"
  • BflSaberfan
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

^^^^ Excellent response!!! What's with these guys taking it so personally and the nasty comments? We're all adults here. We both know that both men AND women cheat and treat each other badly in relationship. This isn't a man bashing thread. Jeeshhh...talk about over reacting!

I would guess by some of the responses they are justifying their own reasons for being unfaithful. There is absolutely no other reason to excuse or try to justify this type of behavior.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    None of us can tell you what to do because you will ultimately do what you want to do.

I can tell you what I would do, and personally, I would be on the phone with a divorce lawyer now (assuming you are married).
  • wantingmeback
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Hell yes!!
    Some do it on purpose to be the victim and Damn that's annoying but she seems to be genuinely hurt by this.... maybe I feel for her because I was there once in my life and I treated him like a king!!! That's why I chalked it up to his loss not mine, I never put up with that crap again... that was 12yrs ago now.
  • winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options

Bitter much?
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Hmm. You said "relationship", not "marriage."
    Sending the photos to his phone was a great idea.
    At least it will spark a needed confrontation.
    If you are not married, and have no assets in common, start making plans to go.
    Love is not enough, if the partner has now proven twice he cannot be trusted.
    If he begs and pleads to stay, then insist on counseling, on HIS nickel.
    If he refuses, then you know what you have to do.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    cheaterville.com is a good site to go to....you can post a story about your husband...and it may bring out the ones hes been seeing or whatever.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

i'd buy that once. not twice though.

and i'd say the same thing if the woman was cheating.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Get out of the relationship. You may love him, but he clearly does not respect you enough. You can find better.

I agree with the first part. He definitely is not respecting you and the marriage at this point. You need to move out and get away from the situation. There are obviously issues that you both need to address. Maybe over time you will figure it out and things will ultimately work, but right now isn't that time.

Having gone through some similar things in life, I can only wish you the best in a tough time. Remember, while things can never be the same, the strength in you will help you get through to something new - with or without him

Thoughts and prayers.
  • Skiing914
    Skiing914 Posts: 27
    Options
    Look, I'm not condoning his behavior and I don't know how old this man is. However, I am 48 and by this age, you learn a few things. First of all, you haven't said if you and he were married. If, after 17 years you're not, why? Second, it is human nature to want to be attractive to others, especially after being in a relationship for that long. Are you taking good care of yourself and presenting your best self to him? Do you compliment him and make him feel like he is the only man in the world you are attracted to? These things are very important to men, yet most of them won't ever tell you. I wouldn't suggest dumping him....yet. Take all things into consideration. We don't know you or your man and there are two sides to every relationship. Be honest with yourself and really take a serious, hard look at your relationship...the last 17 years and what it is today. Are your needs being met and are you meeting his? If he is happy with you, he won't be interested in anyone else. If you are honestly doing all you can to make him happy and he still has other women on the brain...it's time to get out. Don't waste another day!