Has anyone just lost at home?

Options
scythswife
scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
Has anyone accomplished their goals at home without any special equipment? All I have r dvds and some resistance bands and free weights. Looking to see if anyone has completed or how far u could get in ur journey that way when gyms and buying machines isn't possible.

Replies

• pukinrainbows
    Options
    yes, i started a month ago doing exercise just at home and lost 15lbs for now. I'm doing programs like "rockin body" and "insanity workout" by Shaun T. I recommend it :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Goodness you dont NEED a gym! Home DVDs, go jogging or walking, just dancing to your favourite songs.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I haven't stepped foot in a gym since I was 23 years old. I have lost with all at home workouts, the eliptical and running. My favorties are kickboxing cardio by Jill Coleman. Gets my heart rate up higher than any treadmill and leg press!
  • charmarbobar
    charmarbobar Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30lbs without any "special" equipment....I used Jillian Michaels workouts, jogging outside and Wii EA Active.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes. Walking, then running, yoga and body weight exercises for resistance. I eventually managed to borrow a set of weights, but there is a lot you can do if you google "body weight exercises". Nerdfitness.com is a good place to start too. The fact that you already have resistance bands and some weights - there will be loads you can do. There are also a lot of free videos on youtube and sites like bodyrock.tv.

For walking and running, you just need appropriate footwear and somewhere to go. Obviously, it depends what your goals are, but you can go a long way without machines or a gym membership. For losing weight, you don't actually need to exercise at all, but for health and fitness, maintaining muscle etc, it sound like you already have everything you need.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Yup, haven't stepped foot in a gym in over 2 years. I've lost ~35lbs in the last 5 months by eating healthy and exercising in my living room.

Started with a few games on the Wii (Just Dance 2, Cardio Boxing, etc), and I already owned Tae Bo and Zumba on DVD. After doing the 30 Day Shred, I'm hooked on many of Jillian Michael's DVD work-outs. They've done wonders for my body shape and fitness level!

I've slowly acquired some little equipment, like a balance ball (which I don't use much), yoga mats, resistance bands (also haven't used much yet), and recently bought a bench for 5 bucks at a fair. A copy of New Rules for Lifting For Women is on it's way, and I'm saving up for a good set of adjustable weights. I plan on following the plan and incorporating some heavy lifting into my routine.

All in all, cheaper and for me, much more convenient that owning a gym membership.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I lost all of my baby weight at home (over 30 pounds down to 105 pounds) with dumbbells and dvds. Diet is #1. However once I got "skinny" I decided to take it to the next level and get fit...now I need a gym because I lift weights 3-4 times a week.
  • faeriewings1
    faeriewings1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost 18 kilos at home. Running, HIIT, getting strength workouts from Womens Health Mag, DVD's, etc. I have small children so mostly had to wait until after 7.30pm as well. I've only joined a gym recently because I needed a squat rack.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    We are in retirement, living on a fixed income. A gym membership is not in our budget. Our only form of exercise during weight loss and now maintenance is WALKING. We walk daily outside or if the weather is an issue, at the mall.

Marie
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You have DVDs, resistance bands and free weights. You are starting out with more than a lot of people do. That, with calorie restriction, will definitely get results.

ETA: I lost 12 lbs without exercising at all (because I couldn't), just with calorie restricting. Now that I can exercise, it's coming off a bit quicker.
  • lois4468
    lois4468 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Lost over 50 pounds with just watching calories and walking. No special equipment here andno gym. If you have Thrift stores or can go to estate auctions they are good places to get equipment really cheap sometimes. I am in MN and got an exercise bike for $2.50. I try to use it now since can't walk in the cold and snow. Good luck!
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have never stepped foot in a gym. I did buy a treadmill though and some other used exquipment but the majority of my exercise and weight loss comes from my food (portion coltrol) and eating at a deficit, workout videos and my treadmill. But you could walk o run outside instead of buying a treadmill.
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have! Dumbells, DVD's, however I did purchase an Elliptical.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Almost 25 lbs down, and I haven't been to a gym or the YMCA. I've accomplished everything just by walking, playing Just Dance and Zumba on the Wii and a few assorted DVDs or On-Demand shows.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've done everything from home with some weights, dvds, yoga mat, etc. Just simple at home stuff. I lost 10 lbs before joining mfp and I've lost 5 (will be more on sunday when I weigh-in!) lbs since I started here.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 stone through at home DVDs and running - I have joined a gym now, but you definitely don't NEED one.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    yup. lost 85lbs with just running shoes and diet
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    That's how I am doing mine. I use my bike, dvds (or Youtube), stretch bands, walking with Leslie Sansone, and 30 day shred(I don't use everyday yet). It is possible.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Me :) I walk around 2-3 miles 3-4 times a week, and do free weights at home, as well as some heavier cardio around twice a week. Lost around 11 pounds in 7 weeks, so far. :)
  • daxazo
    daxazo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use Just Dance on the Wii, a kettlebell, and some dumb bells. I have a few fitness videos I do once in awhile in place of the Wii. I exercise about 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week.