Has anyone just lost at home?

Options

Replies

• EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I lost about 12 pounds so far. I mostly use my 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michael's but I also use my treadmill once in a while but I give most credit for my weight loss to the dvd. I only use some dumbbells and a yoga mat for it. Haven't gone to the gym yet! Oh, I did start my workout at the very being with Zumba on my ps3.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have not set foot in a gym. I do videos (30 day shred, ripped in 30, rockin body, power 90) and walk and ride a bike.
  • HappyNinjaStar
    HappyNinjaStar Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    53.6 lbs lost (almost at goal), haven't set foot in a gym. Most of it is from running (started with the couch to 5k) and I do some strength training videos
  • helengetshealthy
    helengetshealthy Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I agree, you can get results at home with no equipment! Here's a link that has a load of youtube videos of workouts, there's some really good ones in there: http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2013/01/25-of-best-you-tube-workout-videos.html
  • WindyJenny
    WindyJenny Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Because I am starting out so much heavier than others, DVDs like Insanity and 30 Day Shred are unrealistic. My knees can't handle that kind of impact. But that does NOT mean I can't get in a strenuous workout at home!

I commandeered my son's mini trampoline, or rebounder, and I jog on it every day with a set of light hand weights. I do wall push ups, ab crunches while leaning back on the rebounder, and every evening I do side-to-side stepping and light bouncing on the rebounder while watching TV. It's so low impact that my joints aren't affected, but boy are my muscles feeling it! My husband said he can see that my butt is getting smaller already (and I've only lost 25 pounds so far).

There are lots of ways to get in a great workout at home with inexpensive, little or no equipment. They key is finding something you enjoy and can maintain for the long term.

You can do it. :)
  • cassiegal724
    cassiegal724 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    YES! I do not like the gym, but I love love love love love Jillian Michaels. I've lost 22 lbs and loads and loads of inches working out at home with Jillian, doing yoga or pilates with the ladies on my lunch break in a conference room at work, and walking/jogging with the pup. Haven't stepped foot in a gym in years and I never got results when I did go to the gym because I was just plugging away at the treadmill or stationary bike and not including resistance training or pushing myself. I don't think I ever sweat at a gym. You have all the tools you need.

Haven't posted in a while, but my blog has a photo of my progress as of two months ago: http://spunkyrev.wordpress.com/. It includes photos and stats, I've lost 10 more lbs since then!

I've lost 87 lbs total, but the first 60 - 70 were only with diet adjustments, no consistent exercise.
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    I hope so!

I currently can't afford gym membership or expensive equipment and thought I was done for in terms of being able to exercise appropriately. But, I've managed to find a routine that will at least get me started. I currently alternate either running (doing C25k) or the nerdfitness bodyweight routine first thing in the morning. Here's hoping I'll get some results from it!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    YES!! Insanity doesn't take any equipment.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I hope so!

I currently can't afford gym membership or expensive equipment and thought I was done for in terms of being able to exercise appropriately.
    That's why it's such a good question. Nothing at all wrong with joining a gym for people that want to and can afford it but I would hate for anyone to think getting fit is expensive. It need not be.
  • LaurieT907
    LaurieT907 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yep! I love working out at home--I've had good luck with p90x and Jillian Michaels dvds. I also have been running outside. Only time I've gone to the gym lately is for early, early am runs.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a bunch of Jillian vids that I do at home, and I couple it with jogging at a nearby park. The first time around I went from 144lbs to 122lbs. Then life happened and I put a lot of the weight back on so I'm doing it all over again. But you certainly do not need a gym. Your body and surroundings can act as your own gym.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    Hi! I lost most of my weight with home workouts. I did a lot of workout DVDs too. At first I did use an exercise bike, but honestly I think the DVDs were a lot more effective. I did workouts with both cardio and body weight based strength training (push ups, body weight squats, etc). I lost about 70 lbs in about 14 months without a gym or any equipment other than that exercise bike and dumbbells. I joined the gym at that point and I love it too. I still workout at home 2 nights per week, but now with 20 lb dumbbells. :)

The most important thing is your food whether you exercise at home or the gym.
  • MaryD4900
    MaryD4900 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Check out Tone It Up- they have a lot of good free workouts online http://toneitup.com/fitness.php?fitness_subcategory=Fitness Videos

You can YouTube search for them as well and it will pull up older workouts
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18lbs doing Stair Stepper Machine at home,Billy Blanks-Ab Bootcamp,Billy Blanks Jr Dance Party Bootcamp,Sweatin in the Spirit Gospel Workout,and Kettlenetics and I also have some heavier kettlebells and barbells for strength training. Is definently accomplishable at home. I actually think I get a better workout at home cuz I think I work harder without alot of super skinny people watching me.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 lbs at first, and now have been cycling bulking/cutting, gaining 20 lbs of muscle and dropping my fat a little lower.

With nothing more than some running shoes, a pullup bar, a yoga mat + dvd's, 10 lb ankle weights, sets of 15, 25, and 35 lb dumbbells (acquired over time), and a set of homemade pvc parallettes (basically bigger pushup handles).

I recently added an adjustable weight vest (up to 60 lb), an ab wheel, and some gymnastics rings to my collection of stuff (too new to really have much impact on results yet).

I have no desire to ever join a gym. I feel my workouts would be less effective, it would cost money that I din't need ot spend, and it would waste my time traveling to and from.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Has anyone accomplished their goals at home without any special equipment? All I have r dvds and some resistance bands and free weights. Looking to see if anyone has completed or how far u could get in ur journey that way when gyms and buying machines isn't possible.

Absolutely! Weight loss is achieved through calorie deficit. Stay within your calorie goal and you'll lose weight - no gym required. "It's 80% diet, 20% exercise".
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    A chin up bar, kettlebell and running shoes. I HATE gyms.

PS: I have sandbags from 40-150 pounds that I use for some strength stuff.
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    yes, i started a month ago doing exercise just at home and lost 15lbs for now. I'm doing programs like "rockin body" and "insanity workout" by Shaun T. I recommend it :)

Exact same here, down 24lbs in 8 weeks. Stretched the first 30 days over the 8 weeks, now Monday I'll be starting over on the full schedule. Sneakers and a sports bra were really all I needed.

I couldn't be happier with the Beachbody product. I will admit the garish infomercials deterred me for some time. They have all kinds of videos for different levels.

I use Vega One nutritional shakes with the Vega Sport protein after working out with unsweetened coconut milk and fruit. I always work out first thing in a carb depleted state.

So far so good!
  • shubec85
    shubec85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    youtube has TONS of full workout videos. Same with Pintrest if you are on there, they have tons of workout programs for at home. Get videos from the library too! :wink:
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I have never stepped into a gym ........back in 09/2010 I lost 78lbs with this site fell off the wagon and since I have been back I lost 11 lbs since Jan 25th all from home .........walking with leslie sansone..using my "total gym" tried rockin body but hurt my knee and hip so that will have to wait a bit