500 calorie weekdays and anything i want weekends

Options

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    This is for real.. I combined the food lovers diet with calorie counting. I have never had an eating disorder and am only 20 lbs overweight trying to get ready for a beachside honeymoon. Im not hungry. I can add a midweek free. Day but i was a carboholic feeding on bread and now im eating healthy. Do u know how low in calories vegetables are if u dont put gunk all over them? Stop eating pre processed foods and eat fresh veggies and youll see this isnt that crazy. Look at the sample daily menu i edited into my first post...

Doesn't matter. You aren't eating enough.

If you're only 20 lbs overweight, you're really... seriously... SERIOUSLY going overboard here.

It took years to put on those 20 lbs. If you go to extremes to try to lose it, it'll just come back again. Find a healthy pattern of eating now, figure out the amount that YOUR BODY needs (I can just about guarantee that 1200 isn't going to be enough) and start from there.

And your first post is on the first page of the thread, right where you put it.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    . not worth it
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Not exactly the same as what you are doing but close enough

Skipping Meals (Not eating enough in a day) > Body in starvation mode > Overeating in next meal (weekends) > Weight Gain
  • Sandrita615
    Options
    April 5th ....not planning to diet on the honeymoon. Actually i can lose just 10 lbs n b good to go...
  • bethcw1
    bethcw1 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Eating about 500 calories during the week and whatever I wanted on weekends is actually how I managed to gain weight. I wasn't doing to lose weight, it was just because my work week was so busy. I spent 10-12+ hours a day working on top of a 2.5-3.0 hour round trip commute. I didn't eat breakfast or lunch and only ate a small dinner at around 9pm (if I was less tired than hungry at that point). Some days I didn't eat anything.

Then on the weekends I'd eat whatever....probably like 2000-3000 calories/day or more.

I managed to initially lose weight this way...not intentionally really. But then I started coming home ravenous and started raiding my kitchen for snacks as soon as I got home...then I cooked and ate dinner..around 9-10pm....still whatever I wanted on weekends.

I put on about 8lbs this way.

Pineygirl
    your post took the words right out of my mouth!!! This was/is my cycle.... Start my day with a coffee, and eat nothing until I came home at night, Ate a super huge dinner, but then snacked and ate whatever I wanted all weekend. I lost all my baby weight after my 3rd child this way, and then when I hit my lowest weight, it took me about 6 - 8 months to gain 20 lbs back. I had been eating this way for years though - I think the weight gain started because I am aging, and my metabolism is now changing. (never used to yo-yo or fluctuate in weight except for pregnancies)

I have just started tracking my food, and was surprised to see how few calories (of healthy food) I am ingesting. I am trying to eat MORE throughout the day, and not snack on empty junk food in the evening. As a result of cutting out refined sugars, and junk, I am down to about 600 - 900 calories a day. BUT - I am eating MORE of the healthier, nutrient rich food than I ever have before.

I am also very reluctant to move up to 1,200 calories a day. I hope to do this over a bit of time. Certainly not overnight, and I would be worried about how much more weight I would gain, since I am very sedentary, and it is very difficult to find time to work-out due to my 3 young kids, and full-time work schedule.

Sorry - I do not mean to hijack this thread, but I feel for the original poster who is being flamed, and it is sad to see her being treated with such little empathy or respect. I have found myself in the same eating habits, with really no intention of eating that way because I was worried about my weight or appearance. I am 39 years old, and have NEVER yo-yo'd with my weight, dieted, or had self confidence issues due to weight/appearance. I am smart, and educated, yet still found myself with these unhealthy habits.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    ahhh i see this is another "im going to ask peoples opinions but I have already made up my mind and anyone who disagrees is wrong" threads.

I'm out.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    April 5th ....not planning to diet on the honeymoon

While I don't think what you're doing is healthy, if your wedding is coming up you don't want to be doing anything too drastically different with diet or exercise a month out. I would strongly suggest trying to take in at least a little bit more food during the week (and maybe moderating a touch more on the weekend depending on how crazy you're going). After you get back from your honeymoon though, you should REALLY consider transitioning to a more moderate diet eating more calories.

Whether the food is healthy or not, 500 calories a day for an extended period of time is not. My 60 lb dog eats a lot more than that and isn't gaining weight.

ETA: trying to lose 10 lbs in a month when you're only 20lbs overweight is extremely ambitious, and probably won't have the visual impact you're expecting since a lot of it would have to be water weight.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I would be hungry, hungry, hungry..... sounds like a way to mess up the metabolism.
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    ahhh i see this is another "im going to ask peoples opinions but I have already made up my mind and anyone who disagrees is wrong" threads.

I'm out.

Ditto, keep doing what you're doing and you're not going to lose the weight you wish to..
  • corchy23
    corchy23 Posts: 41
    Options
    I sympathize, because once your eating becomes disordered like this, it's so hard to see what's really 'normal.' I did the unhealthy fasting thing to the point where it feels like 500 calories is a goal I really have to commit myself to achieving, and the recommended 1200 is like a dream to me...but I'm working on becoming healthy again so my advice is just to try to eat more. It used to be so easy for me to eat the calories I needed, but after almost a year of seeing how little I could allow myself to eat and still 'survive' it really warped my opinion. So I really feel you on the whole issue of it being hard to understand what you're doing 'wrong' when your body feels fine and functioning on significantly less food. I had had trained mine to survive on an embarrassingly small amount each day topped with working out....but that's just it....I was 'surviviving'....not really nurturing and taking care of myself and doing harm to my body in the long run. Just because I felt okay doing it didn't mean it was 'okay.' The body is complex, so eating so little is doing damage we don't even grasp.

My new way of thinking of it, since I felt like I was functioning just fine when barely eating is that even though "I" might be functioning, my "body" isn't. It's working overtime and in harsh ways to make up for what it's being deprived of in order to give you that mask of "normal"

Just wanted to drop in with a little sympathy and encouragement since so many people think eating so little could be trolling. I know what it's like, I'm still in the brain space myself and trying to force calories down everyday, so I'm right there with you....but it's good for you in the long run! My advice is to stop thinking about it like a 'diet' and try to have healthy lifestyle :) Just TRY to eat more...that's the first step...that's where I'm at now!
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    To explain it the simplest, it's like putting premium gas in your car but only putting in three gallons and expecting to drive 500 miles. Even though you're eating healthy foods, it's still not enough fuel for your body and all the functions it needs to perform.

You're not going to find a better explanation. This is perfect.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    April 5th ....not planning to diet on the honeymoon. Actually i can lose just 10 lbs n b good to go...

How are you going to be "good to go" when you want to go back to eating normally? Please research what long term very low calorie eating does to one's metabolism and body. Why wouldn't you want to eat a decent amount of food, do some physical activity, and get healthy? Losing weight does not make someone healthy.
  • carissawhitworth
    Options
    No offense I dont mean to sound harsh or judgemental. But it sounds to me like you have a eating disorder. There is just no way your are not hungry or you wouldn't have to pick at a small salad three times through out the day. Soon enough you are gonna stop dropping pounds- and hit a plateau- because your body will need more. But since you have already associated food as the enemy... what is going ot happen to your weekend of bingeing that gets you through the week? You will either stop it completely and continue on 500 cals 7 days a week, or start purging out of extreme guilt. You can not live off of 500 cals a day. Just because you are losing weight it doesn't mean it is benneficial to your healthy. Ethiopian kids are skinny and mal nourished that doesnt mean we should eat like them(and they dont want to be skinny and mal nourished- you have the tools and the means to lose weight in a safe, nutritional and healthy mannor, you should take advantage of that opportunity). Skinny is not the goal- fit and healthy should be the goal. You NEED fat, protein, carbs and calories to function properly and nourish your body. Your weekly diet is the path to Anorexia. One day 500 cals will be too much to continue to lose. You will either lose will power and gain all you lost back or you will drop your calories even further or start purging. You need to seek help from a nutririonist or a doctor or a phsyciatrist. This is a serious issue. Your relationship with food is scary. 15 cucumber slices is not a meal- it's a facial treatment.
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    Wow.......500 calories! Thats not very much to eat.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    No offense I dont mean to sound harsh or judgemental. But it sounds to me like you have a eating disorder. There is just no way your are not hungry or you wouldn't have to pick at a small salad three times through out the day. Soon enough you are gonna stop dropping pounds- and hit a plateau- because your body will need more. But since you have already associated food as the enemy... what is going ot happen to your weekend of bingeing that gets you through the week? You will either stop it completely and continue on 500 cals 7 days a week, or start purging out of extreme guilt. You can not live off of 500 cals a day. Just because you are losing weight it doesn't mean it is benneficial to your healthy. Ethiopian kids are skinny and mal nourished that doesnt mean we should eat like them(and they dont want to be skinny and mal nourished- you have the tools and the means to lose weight in a safe, nutritional and healthy mannor, you should take advantage of that opportunity). Skinny is not the goal- fit and healthy should be the goal. You NEED fat, protein, carbs and calories to function properly and nourish your body. Your weekly diet is the path to Anorexia. One day 500 cals will be too much to continue to lose. You will either lose will power and gain all you lost back or you will drop your calories even further or start purging. You need to seek help from a nutririonist or a doctor or a phsyciatrist. This is a serious issue. Your relationship with food is scary. 15 cucumber slices is not a meal- it's a facial treatment.

I agree that you should see a registered dietician - you seem to be on track to have an eating disorder. The goal of weight loss should be to be fit and healthy, not simply to lose weight. I saw one poster say she gained weight doing this, and that's a very likely outcome because the body realizes it's not getting enough energy during the day, so it starts storing more as fat. You're killing your metabolism doing this - you have to eat more.
  • tdotgirl
    tdotgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Wondering you could possibly spread 500 calories a day in your diary. You should up your calories to at least 1200 a day

Good luck!
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    This is the craziet OP I have ever read.
  • WabanaLady
    WabanaLady Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    speaking for myself ,I need to eat 3 meals and at least 3 snacks everyday.I try to stay just under the 1200 calories,some days i slip up most days i do really well.For the sake of you;re health..up your calorie intake.Good luck
  • sdumma
    sdumma Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This is crazy... 500 calories a day that's it? If you really feel that is all you need you should think about talking to your doctor about that. You may have a legitimate mental health issue.
    Ouch!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just 1 question, if you're not hungry on 500 cals a day, why are you eating what you want on weekends?

You're only kidding yourself, no one else.
This discussion has been closed.