Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options

Replies

• AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Why don't I substitute? Because I like regular burgers and nuggets. Meat is not evil.
    She was obviously saying that meat is pure evil and that you're the spawn of Satan himself if you eat meat, and certainly not just saying that you can save a few calories if you substitute the veggie alternative now and again.

Always so nice to see reading comprehension in action.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.

Why don't I substitute? Because I like regular burgers and nuggets. Meat is not evil.
    She was obviously saying that meat is pure evil and that you're the spawn of Satan himself if you eat meat, and certainly not just saying that you can save a few calories if you substitute the veggie alternative now and again.

Always so nice to see reading comprehension in action.

Actually, I am Satan's spawn. And she asked "Why not substitute?" in her post, so I answered.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Why not substitute?

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

I don't think a single thing of Morningstar Farms is gluten free. My mother loves their veggie breakfast sausage and its all off limits to me. (celiac disease)

Seriously, if you laid out nothing but Morningstar Farms to eat, I'd have to go eat somewhere else. It's easy to make things like bean burgers yourself, why bother with their crap?
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    You have utterly abused the use of (READ ME). I am going to deliberately never, ever replace any meat with a vegetarian substitute for this reason alone. I had a recipe for red bean lasagna saved, but now? When Hades freezes over.

Congratulations.

LMBO
  • rm7161
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to go vegetarian if that is your conscience, but I can think of a zillion better ways to do it besides Morningstar Farms!

Also burgers made with freshly ground meat that you ground yourself are delicious and not particularly unhealthy either. (huzzah for a meat grinder attachment on the kitchenaid, yus... the only way I will eat a burger is to know what meat went into the grind beforehand)

But, a well prepared black bean burger is also delicious! I've made both and I like both... depends on what my mood is as to what I eat. But I know what it WON'T be, and that's something from the Morningstar Farms line :P
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

I don't think a single thing of Morningstar Farms is gluten free. My mother loves their veggie breakfast sausage and its all off limits to me. (celiac disease)

Seriously, if you laid out nothing but Morningstar Farms to eat, I'd have to go eat somewhere else. It's easy to make things like bean burgers yourself, why bother with their crap?

you know what? somehow I imagine the OP wasn't talking about people with celiac!
  • rm7161
    Options

you know what? somehow I imagine the OP wasn't talking about people with celiac!

pats you on the head for your daily attention rush.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I'm kind of with Reddy on that. The OP wasn't really targeting anyone with a specific illness. She just put out an idea for a meat substitute. The beef I have with that (no pun intended :P) is the way she put that eating meat is less healthy then eating Morningstar or Boca and instead of eating meat, you should eat those items.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute your veggie burger for meat? It's natural, full of protein, and DELICIOUS!!

I'd say depends what kinda meat you get...lol

But honestly, I say to each their own. Why cut out meat if you like it?
    I really don't enjoy meat, and am currently transitioning to going back vegetarian, so I obviously prefer Morning Star/Boca over meat.

Just doesn't make sense to not eat something you enjoy for probably no benefits over the other.

**Edited for ADD and not finishing my sentence lol
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I'm kind of with Reddy on that. The OP wasn't really targeting anyone with a specific illness. She just put out an idea for a meat substitute. The beef I have with that (no pun intended :P) is the way she put that eating meat is less healthy then eating Morningstar or Boca and instead of eating meat, you should eat those items.

I have similar beef. :P
  • rm7161
    Options

I don't think they are more healthy than eating meat... its faux food in the worst sense. High sodium, soy galore.

If you were to say, processed meat, then yes... you'd be right. But not any meat. And my post had a follow up... gluten is just one. Others can't do the soy, even more people can't handle the sodium and they are marketed towards people trying to be "heart healthy", high sodium is not heart healthy.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Why eat "fake" food when I can have real, tasty meat?

I prefer to eat real foods over fake foods though I still do indulge to an extent.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I don't think they are more healthy than eating meat... its faux food in the worst sense. High sodium, soy galore.

If you were to say, processed meat, then yes... you'd be right. But not any meat.

right, we all agree on that.

the point was that to play martyr about your celiac disease was completely random, unnecessary, and not something the OP ever even insinuated or referred to.

processed veggie burgers are absolutely no better than much less processed ground beef. (although with the nuggets it may be a wash. lol)
  • rm7161
    Options

If you were to say, processed meat, then yes... you'd be right. But not any meat.

right, we all agree on that.

the point was that to play martyr about your celiac disease was completely random, unnecessary, and not something the OP ever even insinuated or referred to.

processed veggie burgers are absolutely no better than much less processed ground beef. (although with the nuggets it may be a wash. lol)

Whatever floats your boat, I see it as raising awareness as to how this company makes their products. Gluten, soy, sodium... take your pick, there's a lot of questionable stuff to pick at in those foods.

But my main point, the thing that really makes me wonder about the OP -- is why she just didn't think about cooking something from a recipe? Her post came off nearly like an ad for the product, which I am sure was not intended but reminded me a bit of the people hawking those things when I've been in Costco pushing it away from me when they try to hand it out.
  • rm7161
    Options
    So again...

"Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?" Well, in my case, answering her question...gluten is why not Morningstars. Sodium is why not Morningstars for others, soy is why not Morningstars for yet more... Corn was mentioned in this thread too, which is why not morningstar's for that particular person. But hey, everyone has to drag their personal issues with individuals into the thread :P

Substitution... sure, I've made vegetarian stuff for people who don't eat meat. I have no problems at all with it. I make substitute items quite a bit, from scratch. And until it was turned into "all about me" ... this is what I meant. Why not buy stuff and make it yourself? It's healthier, tastier, you can make it in bulk and freeze it for later, for less money than Morningstar's... just saying.

People immediately thought Morningstar vs. meat... which to me seems like a false dichotomy (awaits someone to bash me for being logical while female). I am saying, why Morningstar vs. doing it yourself.
  • AlanTuring
    AlanTuring Posts: 159
    Options
    (awaits someone to bash me for being logical while female)
    Whenever you're making a stupid argument, make sure to throw in some red herrings to help cover up your stupid argument.

Yes, your celiac is a decent reason, but this thread is obviously aimed at the population that are already willing to eat processed foods, as is evidenced by the inclusion of chicken nuggets in the OP. If you're already eating frozen chicken nuggets anyway, it makes sense to swap in something from Morningstar once or twice a week to cut out some calories. Your disease makes you have to be hyper aware of gluten and so you eat nothing but the healthiest and best things in the world, but there are plenty of people who don't care nearly as much, and that's obviously who the thread is for.

The idea that you have to go on and on about how superior your way of eating is and then attack the first person who says something about it over "looking for attention" is pretty hilariously ironic.
  • ajhugz
    ajhugz Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    animal fat is better for you than processed food....
  • ScrambledMeggs610
    Options
    Delicious they are, just this afternoon I had a Morning Star martini before I slaughtered my dinner.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Dried beans are so cheap, so make your own. There are all kinds of recipies on line for veggie burgers on line.
    At one time I had a tupperware hamburger press. I wish I had it now to make it so they do not fall apart.
    The chemicals in prepared foods are poisons to me, expecially MSG, nitrates, and sulphates.
    And all that salt can raise blood pressure.

Newest medical research is saying that dairy, meat, and even fish have high metal content that oxidizes in the brain and causes Altizheimers. Iron, zinc, and copper mainly should not be taken in supplements and get in too high concentrates from animal products.

I run anemic and take iron. Perhaps I should just eat spinach daily.
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    "How do you know when someone's a vegetarian? Don't worry they'll tell you."

lolololololololol