Meat & non-eat meaters (READ ME)

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I've seen that beef consumption is going down but poultry is rising. Those birds are treated no better than the cattle.

That's it thou, it's the treatment of the animal right? So that's why you have to source the meat from the right place. Chickens I but roam freely and forage for their own diet.

Also....beef consumption is going down....obesity and heart disease going up.

correlation =/= causation
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I also raise chickens free range. We hunt and eat venision instead of beef. If we do buy beef it's straight from a friend's farm.

jealous. we're not all this fortunate.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I also raise chickens free range. We hunt and eat venision instead of beef. If we do buy beef it's straight from a friend's farm.

You can't source this why? I know of UK and USA grassfed organic pasteurised meat is available and is delivered to you
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I'm sure most all of you have heard of Morning Star foods.
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.
    Chicken nuggets, why not Morning Stars?
    So much less fat, no grease, all entirely healthy & delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

How has this post not been removed for advertising?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You can't source this why? I know of UK and USA grassfed organic pasteurised meat is available and is delivered to you

I do only eat grassfed, pasture raised, free range, etc, etc. I'd just rather raise them myself and or get it from someone I know like the poster I quoted.
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options

I do only eat grassfed, pasture raised, free range, etc, etc. I'd just rather raise them myself and or get it from someone I know like the poster I quoted.

Oh I see lol sorry I thought you were implying you weren't lucky enough to have that kind of meat. I too wish I could hunt for my own food. :)
  • bayoucitygirl
    bayoucitygirl Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?
    On a night you're going to have burgers, why not have a vege burger? They are so delicious.

Yes, pricey. But who has burgers every night? Who has chicken nuggets every night? I know I don't. Though Morning Star is delicious.. & It does tempt me to make one. Yummy yummy substitution ;)

Not going through all 16 pages, but here's my two cents -- the ingredients list. Most meat substitute stuff these days is frankenfood.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Because I raise my own pastured chickens and I eat them. I raise heritage breed Dominiques. They are naturally breeding, and I'm always going to have excess roosters. Always. I only need one rooster for every five to six hens to have maximum fertility. It's not really possible to rehome boys. Everyone wants girls for the eggs, but no one wants a bunch of roosters around that are going to fight. I kill them myself as humanely as possible. I know what they've had to eat their entire lives, I know where they've lived. I take responsibility for feeding myself and my family, and I feel good knowing that our food is clean. When we eat other meat, I buy from local farmers that I know and I approve of their standards.

I am always baffled by the phrase "humane killing".

I'm always baffled by people that think if they stop eating meat it will stop the inhumane treatment of animals on factory farms instead of actively trying to change it.

I am really confused by this comment.

Is your point that we should just eat meat because it won't put a stop to animal cruelty?

That seems like pretty broken logic...

If your point is that you think no one should be a vegetarian without waging some active war against animal cruelty, you still don't make any sense to me. People do what they can and shouldnt' be expected to give every last ounce they have for what they can do to be considered an effort.

Weirdness.

No, I'm saying put up or shut up. It's that simple. If you use the excuse that you don't eat meat because of the treatment, I think you should follow that up by trying to change it. If you don't eat meat because you don't want to or don't like it or can't, that's fine, just say that.

With all due respect, this is a little silly. The more people who eat an animal-free diet, the less the demand, the less animals are bred into the food industry. Even if people were to purchase LESS animal products and not adopt a completely animal-free lifestyle, they are still creating less demand. Not purchasing meat, eggs or cheese is the strongest vote a person can make for ending factory farming and animal suffering.

Of course, it helps to be involved in "activism", talking about the food animal industry to others (when asked, not unprovoked), helping to spread awareness, but ultimately, choosing not to purchase products that go against your morals is the biggest difference a single person can make.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Why not substitute?

1) Because meat tastes better
    2) Meat is cheaper
    3) Because fresh tastes better
    4) Because there's no downside to meat

The implication in "why not substitute" is "this frozen meat-free product, made with about 35 ingredients, is inherently better in some undefined way than ground beef."

My question to you is:

Why substitute?

exactly!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Must admit, I used to love Quorn, but heard some dodgy things about how it is produced from my brother, and also consider it highly processed, which has sort of put me off. Frustrating as there are a lot of Quorn products now, and I do like it, but to me, having free range, organic chicken breast seems healthier than having quorn these days.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of processed food
  • exile40
    exile40 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I love pig too much. Sorry
  • tino124
    tino124 Posts: 25
    Options
    To summarize:
    IMG_20130305_201311_014.jpg

IMG_20130305_201620_250.jpg
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Funny, every statistic I've seen has shown meat consumption in the US is rising, not falling.

As is carbohydrate and sugar consumption whilst fat intake levels drop yet we have far more obesity and heart disease!

ENERGY consumption is/has been rising... that's the culprit, not a particular macromolecule group.
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    To summarize:
    IMG_20130305_201311_014.jpg

IMG_20130305_201620_250.jpg

I like the way you handle your meat.
  • FitandFab33
    Options
    ^That sounded a LOT more creepy than I intended. But a rare steak is hard to find!
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I love morning star. Not a vegetarian but I will have a veggie burger or there sausage patties are DELISH!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

^ Because of that.

I think my chicken breast has fewer ingredients.
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time. I love morning star. Not a vegetarian but I will have a veggie burger or there sausage patties are DELISH!

ditto on the sausage patties!! and the links!!. I also like the 'chik' patties, and their burgers..they have these little broccoli bites too..omg.
    I must say i prefer their products to the boca brand! my boyfriend is a die-hard meat eater and he even likes the MorningStar products!

meat and animal products can be soo hard on your system..

morningstar wins.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I'd eat Morning Star vegan burgers if they ditched the questionable ingredients.

MorningStar Farms® Grillers® Vegan Veggie Burgers
    Ingredients:
    WATER, TEXTURED SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CORN OIL, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT, VEGETABLE GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS FROM VEGETABLE SOURCES, MALTODEXTRIN, SOY FIBER, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, POTATO STARCH, ONION POWDER, CARAMEL COLOR, DISODIUM INOSINATE, DISODIUM GUANYLATE, KONJAC FLOUR, SUNFLOWER OIL, SESAME SEED OIL, SOY SAUCE (WATER, SOYBEANS, WHEAT, SALT), CONCENTRATED ONION JUICE, ASCORBIC ACID, VINEGAR POWDER, CITRIC ACID, ASPARTIC ACID, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, MALIC ACID, SUCCINIC ACID, TARTARIC ACID, LACTIC ACID, WHEAT FLOUR, SOY LECITHIN.

^ Because of that.

I think my chicken breast has fewer ingredients.

your chicken only lists one ingredient, but it is not listed what your chicken ate, which is probably this ^^

i'm not hatin' on meat eaters, i'm just sayin'.

also, better than boxed patties, black bean, rice & mushroom burgers are so easy to make from scratch! why not bring a dozen to your next cookout?