To the lifters...would you be annoyed if...

Options
Lisah8969
Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
Ok...I just started a lifting routine. Currently only doing 60 pounds on the bench press and yes, my arms are stressed on the last couple reps (do 2 sets of 10/12 reps). I would like to try and up the amount by 5 or 10 pounds, but I don't have someone to spot me and really don't want to drop it on my chest. So to all the lifters, how annoyed would you be if while you were between sets of something else or just standing around, I asked you to spot me so I could try and safely lift my measely 65 pounds (after you have just finished 3 or 4 times that much)? And I'm not that hot looking girl you are hoping will talk to you...i'm the lady in her 40s just trying to get in some exercise. Thanks.

Replies

• BreakingOath
    BreakingOath Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be annoyed. I actually offer to spot people because I'd rather people not get hurt lol. And I often need a spotter since I have no friends to lift with.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    No, I wouldn't be annoyed.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Not annoyed at all.

that's just part of being involved in the community at the gym. People should be more than happy to help you out.
  • jackaroo21
    jackaroo21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    No problem spotting someone at all. However i move up weight in the bench without a spotter right now. I do starting strength. 3 sets of five reps across. Add weight each time i bench
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Good question because I've often wondered the same thing.

I wouldn't mind helping, BUT it must be crystal clear that I'm between sets and in my rest period. I would gladly be a spotter but then I need to get right back to my lifting program, no time for chit-chat until my next rest period.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Not even a little bit. I'd rather ask you to be a spotter for you than watch your head become smashed beneath the weight you're trying to lift. THAT would annoy me. LOL.
  • LMurrieta540
    Options
    I work for a gym, and I know at our gym we are more like a family, cheering on eachother. I haven't seen anyone get annoyed bc someone asked them to spot them no matter the weight. Everyone's stength is different and its better to be safe than sorry, Try to shoot for a 1 rep max
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ok...I just started a lifting routine. Currently only doing 60 pounds on the bench press and yes, my arms are stressed on the last couple reps (do 2 sets of 10/12 reps). I would like to try and up the amount by 5 or 10 pounds, but I don't have someone to spot me and really don't want to drop it on my chest. So to all the lifters, how annoyed would you be if while you were between sets of something else or just standing around, I asked you to spot me so I could try and safely lift my measely 65 pounds (after you have just finished 3 or 4 times that much)? And I'm not that hot looking girl you are hoping will talk to you...i'm the lady in her 40s just trying to get in some exercise. Thanks.

That's what you're supposed to do.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    People do it all the time for one another at my gym. I would guess that as long as someone is taking a break and you let them help you and get right back to it, then ask away. I've never heard anyone refuse to help. Most guys are very helpful in the weight room when I am there (a 40 year old just trying to work out too). Luckily my son or fiance usually can lift with me, but I know either one of them would gladly help someone out.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Also, until you're getting close to a 1 rep max, it's fine to move the weight up by yourself, just be cautious and rack the bar 1-2 reps shy of failure.

If you're hitting 65x10 now, shoot for 70 for reps next time, and just rack it if you're uncertain about the next rep.
  • Adrini
    Adrini Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    And here I was being proud of my 45 pounds. I'll work on upping that.
  • QuickShot18
    QuickShot18 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't have any problem helping you, or anyone else, needing a spot on their lifts. It's what we do! :)
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I always ask someone to spot me at the gym the first time i increase weights, mainly because the other girls i go with would not be able to catch the weigths if they fell. Its gotten to the point some of the people ask me if i need them as a spotter today before they leave the gym. I think it would be a lot more annoying for you to drop the weight on your head and have a medical emergency where that part of the gym needs to be closed while they wait for medical help.
  • Lisah8969
    Options
    Also, until you're getting close to a 1 rep max, it's fine to move the weight up by yourself, just be cautious and rack the bar 1-2 reps shy of failure.

If you're hitting 65x10 now, shoot for 70 for reps next time, and just rack it if you're uncertain about the next rep.

Good advice. I have to get out of my mind that I "must" do a certain number of reps every time.

Thanks to everyone! I am definitely not chit chatty so I won't hold anyone up, but good to know I won't be annoying either.
  • fishlover888
    Options
    I would be flattered honestly to be asked. The only reason I would say no is if I was in a huge hurry for some weird reason, but I have to rest between sets anyway so why not help someone out?!

@Adrini - be proud of your 45 lbs! That means you can use the oly bar!
  • Lisah8969
    Options
    I always ask someone to spot me at the gym the first time i increase weights, mainly because the other girls i go with would not be able to catch the weigths if they fell. Its gotten to the point some of the people ask me if i need them as a spotter today before they leave the gym. I think it would be a lot more annoying for you to drop the weight on your head and have a medical emergency where that part of the gym needs to be closed while they wait for medical help.

:laugh: That's just the image I will keep in mind when I think I can't ask for help! :laugh:
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Heck, I'd be so happy just seeing another woman my age in the weight room I'd probably thank you for asking. But yeah, ask away. Every once in awhile someone will be rude about it, but that's their problem, not yours. (And sometimes they aren't rude, but still have some other reason not to spot you right then, don't take it personally.)
  • nberr
    nberr Posts: 29
    Options
    I've been asked and I didn't mind
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be annoyed. It doesn't matter what weight you are lifting.

But, and I might get flack for this here, I would actually suggest focusing on lifting a weight that challenges you with good form instead of trying for a weight where you risk failure. I have been lifting on my own, without a spotter, and I've been making gains without ever being close to hurting myself. Just my 2c.
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You can also drag a bench into the squat rack and set up the safety pins so you won't be pinned if you can't get the bar up. I do this all the time because I hate having to ask for a spotter and because I have gotten pinned by the bar before!