To the lifters...would you be annoyed if...

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I always ask someone to spot me at the gym the first time i increase weights, mainly because the other girls i go with would not be able to catch the weigths if they fell. Its gotten to the point some of the people ask me if i need them as a spotter today before they leave the gym. I think it would be a lot more annoying for you to drop the weight on your head and have a medical emergency where that part of the gym needs to be closed while they wait for medical help.

No spotter can "catch" the weights if they fell. They're not there for that. The spotter is there to provide some extra oomph on a rep that you can't complete. Even a weak person can spot a person doing a big bench press.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Great thread, thanks for asking this question. I was wondering too.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Nope, not annoying at all! It's part of lifting. :)

I had my trainer spot a 1/2-get-up weight increase to 22 lbs. :laugh:
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    Absolutely not!!!! You'll likely even make some cool friends. :)
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I round up 3 guys regularly to spot me squatting...

i've never had anyone who was annoyed/refused to help.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to ask for a spot when one is needed. Either from another lifter or the staff at the gym.

It is the person that has a problem with you asking them that is the jerk, not you for asking.

Make sure you tell your spotter how you want to be helped though. Tell them the number of reps you want to try and if you want them to grab the bar off or just assist you if you struggle.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I would be glad to help...no annoyance at all.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Not the slightest. I am proud of everyone that has the courage to walk through the doors of the gym. it can be intimidating.

I seek to be an encouragement.

plus, the lifting community has a sense of 'togetherness'. I have never had someone balk at my request.

btw, if you don't get the spot, you will either:
    * get hurt or
    * limit your progress

(bot don't lift to fatigue every set, every day...)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Asking for a spot, and spotting someone when asked, is the most basic courtesy in a weight room. doesn't matter who the spotter or spottee is
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Nope, not annoyed at all. As a matter of fact, if i see you struggling i will offer some assistance, which some ppl tend to be annoyed by WTH
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I spot all of the time when I'm between sets...you ask, I spot.
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Not at all
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Not at all.. safety of everyone is really important to me when I am at the gym
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    This thread would be a lot more interesting if someone said "Yes, I would be annoyed. I'm there for myself not for you."
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Ok...I just started a lifting routine. Currently only doing 60 pounds on the bench press and yes, my arms are stressed on the last couple reps (do 2 sets of 10/12 reps). I would like to try and up the amount by 5 or 10 pounds, but I don't have someone to spot me and really don't want to drop it on my chest. So to all the lifters, how annoyed would you be if while you were between sets of something else or just standing around, I asked you to spot me so I could try and safely lift my measely 65 pounds (after you have just finished 3 or 4 times that much)? And I'm not that hot looking girl you are hoping will talk to you...i'm the lady in her 40s just trying to get in some exercise. Thanks.

I would annoyed if you didnt ask and tried it yourself, then needed help getting the weight back up after almost killing yourself.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    <- n00b
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    great question. i would love if someone asked me to spot them, or vice versa.
  • mike667grace
    Options
    Ok...I just started a lifting routine. Currently only doing 60 pounds on the bench press and yes, my arms are stressed on the last couple reps (do 2 sets of 10/12 reps). I would like to try and up the amount by 5 or 10 pounds, but I don't have someone to spot me and really don't want to drop it on my chest. So to all the lifters, how annoyed would you be if while you were between sets of something else or just standing around, I asked you to spot me so I could try and safely lift my measely 65 pounds (after you have just finished 3 or 4 times that much)? And I'm not that hot looking girl you are hoping will talk to you...i'm the lady in her 40s just trying to get in some exercise. Thanks.

wouldn't annoy any real lifter. We'd rather help than see anyone hurt.
    :drinker: besides, i hardly lift that much myself, and usually smaller, so why would it be measly? think of this when you think that way,
    "do i value myself enough to admit when i'm doing well?"
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be annoyed at all - I would encourage you for sure
  • neva4saken
    neva4saken Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I do not think most people would be annoyed. I was raised to be a gentleman so if asked it wouldn't annoy me at all, I'd rather that than hearing a scream of help or pain and agony. Not to mention I have people all the time male/female to ask me in the gym to show them an exercise I am doing. Or if they are doing an exercise incorrectly and their in danger of hurting themselves I will politely interupt and help them the right way, they are always appreciative. We all have needed help at one point in time.