Parents, how often do you go out?

Options

Replies

• cupcakesnomore
    Options
    I have an 11 yo, 8 yo & 5 yo. We try to go out once a month. Lately it's been every other week. Tonight we're going out but it's to Panera and to run some errands at the mall. I hardly see my hubby Sun-Thur because of our hectic schedules, so it's nice to have a break together.
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I had 2 children and my husband and I at the time they were growing up never did anything separate from the kids. He was the stepfather. I had often times wanted to spend a romantic weekend together, but it never happened. I ended up divorcing him because he was gay. So, my answer doesn't count.
  • vkc1978
    vkc1978 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Everyones situation is different, the people judging you for going out once a week just have a different scenario than you. The only thing that matters is, does your little one feel left out or alone or forgotten when you go out, or are they quite happy (like my little one) to ditch mom and dad and go spend the night with Grandma or her cousins?

We have 5 between the two of us, aged 23, 21, 20 and 17, and a 5yr old princess... and we go out together about once or twice a month, but we also go out on our own for girls' night/guys' nights about once or twice a month too.
  • iamspdd
    iamspdd Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom of a 4 year old. I went out once. LOL No just kiddin'. I don't go out regularly. If something really cool is happening and I can't take her with me I will go out. This could be 4 times a year tops. I really don't want to spend extra money on a babysitter and my parents live an hour away. It doesn't bug me at all. Just makes going out extra special.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Kids ages 8, almost 4 & 1. We have gone out together twice in the last 7 months because we moved 12 hours from family. Each of us go to the gym 2-3 times a week though. Before, we used to go out twice a week or so together.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    We have a 6 year old and 2 year old.. we go out maybe once every couple of months?
  • janahcarter
    janahcarter Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have a 2 year old son. We go out maybe 3 to 4 times a month. Most of those times we are going out with friends and will be home really late or we just stay at our friend's house. My in-laws live right up the road (literally. Their house is so close I can see what color clothing they're wearing when they're on their front porch.) and my son stays the night with them. Do I feel guilty about it? Heck no. I stay home with my son and I know he loves getting to spend time with Papa and Nanny. If my husband and I didn't get to get out of the house without our boy every once in a while, I'm pretty sure I'd go nuts.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My kids are all grown now. I was a stay at home mom for several years. We would go out together by ourselves once a year on our wedding anniversary. Once the kids all got in school we would go to breakfast once a week. My husband worked the swing shift while our kids were young, so we had the mornings to ourselves. I would go to lunch and shopping with my sister a few times a year. My husband would go play golf a few times a year. Neither one of us are big on going out with friends. We would rather be with each other and with our family. Now every night is date night. On winter nights we just cuddle up on the couch and watch our tv shows or a netflix movie in front of the fire.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    Maybe once or twice a month together. My husband goes out every Friday night with his friends. I prefer to go out alone on a Sunday for a pedicure and shopping. But I have quite a few friends that go out weekly and do exactly what you are doing and I don't see a problem with it at all. If my parents and his parents were close by, we'd probably do the same.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    never hahah. maybe a few times a year. kids are 7 and 10 so theres sports and homework after school, etc etc
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    When I was little, my parents went out every Saturday night. I loved having a babysitter.
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Go out? What's that?
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have a poker night every Thursday I go to just for guys.

A men's support group on Wednesdays.

I play ball hockey with my 16 year old on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights.

The other nights I'm usually at the gym.

We go out for lunch together as we work close by each other. About every 2 weeks we catch a movie or go for a walk. Our kids are 16 and 14 though so it's easier for them to be off doing their own thing. :)

We also lock the door for some "quiet time" every once in awhile. :blushing: :smooched: :smokin:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I go out once or twice a week. Heathen.
  • Showmm
    Showmm Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    My kids are 6 and 3 and we go out together probably once a month, but as my husband travels a lot for work and I sometimes have volunteer work to do in the evenings or a meet-up with friends, we probably use a babysitter every two to three weeks, sometimes more.

If we had family in the same country as us, you bet we'd go out more often now.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Twice a year maybe.

Sad,I know.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    My kids are 9, 7, 2, & 1. We haven't gone out alone in a year. He started a new job and is gone a lot. We also don't live too close to family and he is rarely here on the weekend when it would be easier to get rid of the kids for a night.
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments! And somehow no one bashing me/ my parenting. Thanks !!

I have to applaud those of you who never get a break! I love my son more than anything and gladly spend all my time with him but its so nice to be crystal sometimes, not just momma. When I worked days and he worked nights we were passing trains, I work 6 a to 4 p he worked 3 to 11 p. It was really rough on our relationship its so nice getting to go out weekly now he works days too!

I was starting to feel guilty then got that comment from an aquaintance and started feeling bad. Our son begs to go to grandmas, his 4 cousins live there. So im glad no one thinks poorly!
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    The youngest turns 18 tomorrow, so it has been some time since we have needed a babysitter but...

We were rarely able to afford a babysitter AND movies/meal out/recreation so that kind of thing was maybe 3-4 times a year. We did turn must-do events like grocery shopping into a night out from the kids and either trade with friends or ask grandparents.
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    We go out whenever his mom takes the kids - during the winter it is once a month or so.
    During the summer she has them more often because she helps with daycare.
    I haven't been to the gym lately - but when I go, I take the kids because my oldest can do the gym thing with me and the youngest actually likes the child care there. After, we hit the pool together.
    I don't go out a lot without him and he doesn't do much out without me but when he does, it is usually just to the store or to have a couple drinks with my brother..