Replies

• smooshe
    smooshe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    that's an awesome idea!!!
  • jendendra
    jendendra Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Regarding buying new clothes: When I got to the point of needing a different size, hoping there would be more sizes to drop ahead, I decided to buy my replacement clothes at thrift stores so that I had the right size, but didn't spend a lot of money. Then, as I drop another size, I donate them back to the thrift store. When I finally reach my goal, I'll buy more new clothes since I won't have to get rid of them so soon.
  • lexus2134
    lexus2134 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    When you fail and gain it back..and then you feel stupid going public with your effort to lose weight again. I feel like people look at me like I'm not going to be able to keep up with it..

^^^ Yes!
    I gained a bit back and now I feel like I should keep it to myself that I am trying to lose weight again!
    Also when others see me eat something not technically 'healthy' they think it is their place to tell me I shouldn't be eating that because I am on a diet. It is none of their business!
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    Hair loss. My doctor said the weight loss was a shock to my body and it's common to experience sudden hair loss after a dramatic weight loss. I had never heard anyone talk about this so it was quite distressing for me, but it's only temporary. The hair loss stops after 4-5 months. Thank goodness I had a lot of hair to begin with or I'd be nearly bald. I lost a lot of hair.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Regarding buying new clothes: When I got to the point of needing a different size, hoping there would be more sizes to drop ahead, I decided to buy my replacement clothes at thrift stores so that I had the right size, but didn't spend a lot of money. Then, as I drop another size, I donate them back to the thrift store. When I finally reach my goal, I'll buy more new clothes since I won't have to get rid of them so soon.

I'm trying to keep my "in progress" buys as few as possible, and I'm having my work clothes altered a little at a time. Since my suits had two pairs of pants each, I had one altered, and left one... this way I can have some that are wearable and some that I can have taken in to the new size...

I took those to a proper tailor to have altered, as they're custom suits, and the $20 alteration is a bargain compared to full price.

I have looked up methods to save some of my XXL sized humorous / band / event t-shirts that I want to keep, and think I can get those modified for less at my dry cleaner... Those will wait a while yet.

I did make the mistake of buying a pair of jeans that were just one size smaller... they fall off me now. Thankfully they were Old Navy sale jeans, so they're going into the goodwill donation bin.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    How cold I would be.
    How I would suffer from constipation (which was not common before).
    How my clothes would fit better in some places, and worse in other places.
    How I would think I hadn't lost any weight at all when looking in the mirror.
    How patience is the real challenge, not the workouts.
    How my body would drop weight like crazy in my stomach, but very little in my thighs.
    How I would get little bruises all over my legs from walking and what I suspect to be anemia.
    How much I would enjoy and come to depend on my walks for stress relief.
  • strawberrychild
    Options
    One thing that pissed me off about losing weight is that everyone else around me seemed to only comment on that every time i saw them for like 6 months, like you can't remember my accomplishments in college or that i have a job or even that i'm a moderately nice person.; all they cared to comment on was "wow, you lost so much weight! you look great!". like was that the only you cared to remember about me was my weight? why do you care if i was fat? i still contribute to society in other ways butt munchers! i guess it goes to show how people really feel about you, ya know?
  • denisemuill
    denisemuill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That is becuase it highlights to them thier own poor eating habit and lack of portion control
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Flab rolls and the loss of them. My neck was so fat that I had rolls (ashamed to admit that!) and as I've lost weight the rolls have straightened out and my skin, where the flab roll used to be, is creased and it looks a slightly different colour too. I think this is due to being folded over for so long but I never dreamed of that when I started this weight loss journey...
  • allstatemom
    allstatemom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    When I was no longer the fat friend, my skinny friends started making crappy remarks about what I ate, how I ate, when I ate, how I exercised, when I exercised, where I exercised.

Time to find new friends!

I did. What a stink that caused.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Losing my best friend :-(

She was gaining weight and I was losing it, and I think that really bothered her because until recently, I had always been bigger/weighed more than she did. She'd suggest we go to Weight Watchers together because "one of [her] friends had lost 100lbs the year before with the help of WW", and I had already lost 100lbs the year before, but I guess she didn't realize it.

I had lap band surgery and she told me to reverse it because it was causing me "so many problems" (her words), but the truth is that I had lost weight with the help of the band that I needed to lose my whole life and was FINALLY no longer obese. Her total lack of support in my weight loss tore us apart, and we haven't spoken in a year. It's rough, but I have some really awesome/supportive friends too, and I am so thankful for that :)
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Totally AGREE!!!! It's even worse when u plateau and you just can't get passed that hump. Ur so addicted to the great feeling of "I hit this milestone" and then.....ur stuck...and ur stuck for 2 weeks...and then u go up a pound....and then u go down a pound....and ur stuck again!!!!

I HATE when this happens.

ME TOO. Or when you get 5-10lbs away from your goal and become complacent and either stay there or gain - grrrr!
  • teresab101
    teresab101 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    saved for later
  • denisemuill
    denisemuill Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Super True....my husband wants more of it and I am more interested.
  • funsized045
    Options
    The really awkward silence when you've slipped up and gained back a few pounds and everyone assumes you've given up. When someone you always considered to be big says you're bigger than them. People getting upset that you aren't pigging out on the dessert they made because you're trying to get healthy. AND GOOD GOD NOTHING FITS FOR MORE THAN A WEEK!
  • andreamarieroberts
    andreamarieroberts Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The emotional side effects that come when you stop allowing yourself to eat as a coping mechanism.... Unpleasant feelings and issues come out And you have to face them

OMFG THIS THIS THIS
  • Prettyinpaisley
    Prettyinpaisley Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    One thing that pissed me off about losing weight is that everyone else around me seemed to only comment on that every time i saw them for like 6 months, like you can't remember my accomplishments in college or that i have a job or even that i'm a moderately nice person.; all they cared to comment on was "wow, you lost so much weight! you look great!". like was that the only you cared to remember about me was my weight? why do you care if i was fat? i still contribute to society in other ways butt munchers! i guess it goes to show how people really feel about you, ya know?

Agreed! I hear "You look SO great." and I always think in my head "Thanks for the reminder that I looked awful before, and for only valuing me on my appearance." Sometimes the positive comments, regardless of the intent behind them, can make me feel just as insecure about my body.

Maybe it's just me, but it's weird that once you lose weight, everyone wants to talk about your body/appearance.
  • lulu3561
    lulu3561 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Realizing and facing the fact that losing the weight doesn't make the emotional scars go away. The more you lose the bigger fear of failure and gaining it back. I have to keep telling myself look at how far I've come and remember all the OMG's I get when I show people my before picture.
  • andreae13
    andreae13 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Realizing that the only reason you got fat in the first place was to disappear. Then as you lose the weight, you lose a great protective shield and have to deal with the many things you were hiding from.

This exactly! I've yo-yo dieted since I was put on my first diet at 9 years old. I've always regained the weight plus more. This time I wanted things to be different and I knew the only way that was going to happen was to fix the reasons why I was overweight. Fortunately my insurance covers therapy and I have been seeing a shrink through my whole 2 year journey. It took about a year for me to realize this reason above was actually why I had been regaining the weight every single time. When I finally realized the fear and tackled it head on it was a completely freeing moment in my life. I now know for a fact I will never gain my weight back again, and I have never had that feeling before. It is very exciting!
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Is this thread locked, and why?