Oil pulling??

Options

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    Are you supposed to log the oil? I may try this but I want to do it right.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The neti pot? That's supposed to be good for allergies. A doctor recommended it to me because I get them really really bad. I keep meaning to but I've procrastinated on it..lol.

I was recommended the neti pot for allergies too...I've never tried it though cause the thought of pouring water up my nose kinda freaks me out :laugh:

As for oil pulling, it seems almost as unpleasant as pouring water up your nose :sick:
    My step dad uses a neti pot when he gets a head cold. He swears he feels so much better after using it. I've watched him do it and it about made me gag. I don't think I could do it myself.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Oh, the Fat Flush lady wrote a book on it a year or two ago, can't remember her name. chia seed lady? cranberry water lady?
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    It's an ancient Indian method. Honestly some of you people should read up on something before commenting on how it's a fad like the Master Cleanse. :noway: And some people act like they are the top scientists or doctors in the world when responding in these kinds of threads - who makes you the health professional all of a sudden? :laugh:

I've heard amazing things about this method. It cleared up a girl's skin that I know really well. I strongly believe in many ancient health methods. Our ancestors knew a lot more than we give them credit for.

Our ancestors also thought putting leaches onto a body would bleed out illness. I'll take my chances with modern medicine.

They still use leeches.
    Are leeches being used in modern medicine?
    by Chris Opfer

Leeches have been used in medical procedures since ancient times. Sometimes effectively, sometimes not.

"Leeches!!" Anyone who remembers the scene in the 1986 classic movie "Stand by Me" -- in which the young River Phoenix, Corey Feldman and Jerry O'Connell flail and screech in the mud, flinging the blood-sucking creatures from their arms, backs, legs and...other places -- is justified in believing that these slimy, segmented worms' sole reason for existing is to make people recoil in disgust at the very sight of them. But believe it or not, leeches also serve an important purpose in the medical field.
    In ancient Greece and 19th-century Europe, leeches were the predominant medical device for bloodletting, a procedure by which practitioners sought to help balance the body's "humors" (phlegm, blood and bile) by simply allowing the subject to bleed for a bit. Bloodletting was prescribed to treat a variety of conditions, from a black eye, headache and fever to obesity and melancholia, and in 1883, French medical professionals imported more than 40 million leeches for this purpose [sources: Rubin, Mestel].

These days, leeches are used to help heal skin grafts -- the process for treating burns in which blood tissue is transferred from one part of the body to another -- by removing blood pooled under the graft and restoring blood circulation in blocked veins. They've also been used in reattaching fingers and other body parts [sources: MSNBC, PBS].

To feed, a leech attaches itself to a human or animal through suckers at each end of its body and then eats its host's blood. Leeches can eat six to eight times their body weight, but rather than sinking to the bottom of the body of water they live in because of such a fully belly, leeches produce a natural anticoagulant or blood thinner, which keeps the blood in them from thickening and clotting and allows them to stay mobile [source: PBS].

The anticoagulant is also useful to patients in a grafting or reattachment procedure. A doctor attaches a leech to the skin near the graft or reconnected digit. As the leech feeds, it releases the blood thinner into the patient's soft tissue, preventing clotting and allowing for continuous blood circulation, which is necessary for the procedure to be successful. When the leech fills with blood, it eventually falls off, but the patient continues to bleed, allowing for continued circulation and new vein growth.

Depending on the nature of the procedure, leeches are typically used constantly (replaced as they drop off every 20 minutes or so) for up to two days and then often intermittently for a few days following the procedure [sources: PBS, Rubin].
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    They used to bleed people too, folks. As to Neti pots - people have died from bacterial infections resulting from using dirty Neti pots. That's the second I stopped doing it. As for swishing a mouth full of oil - there are better, less funky ways to kill bacteria in your mouth. But, as always, whatever turns you on. :smile:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    This thread is a disappointment.

I thought 'Oil Pulling' was a euphemism. :frown:
  • Mlkmaid
    Options
    This thread is a disappointment.

I thought 'Oil Pulling' was a euphemism. :frown:

Oh no you di-int! :)
  • fae14
    fae14 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My main question is, do you switch from 5w30 in the winter to 10w30 in the summer, or can you just use the same weight year round? On a related note, I'm also curious as to whether I should switch to something like, Pennzoil High-Mileage Synthetic Blend as I get older?

I am gonna guess you don't watch TLC shows, but there is a new show advertized called "Gypsy Sisters" and they use motor oil as tanning oil. Gross.

Adding that show to my playlist right now!

Oh my gosh! I saw that! What's weird is that it seemed to work. Nothing like frying yourself in the sun for beauty...
  • Mlkmaid
    Options
    Just think about it logically for a minute. How is swishing an oily substance around your mouth going to cleanse you? Can your body really suck all the bad stuff out of your body through your tongue in cheek howls?

EXACTLY. And what you're actually doing is creating "soap" in your mouth since the oil and saliva emulsifies. So you're just really deep cleaning your teeth and gums. LOOK - good oral hygiene has been known for decades to improve over all health but there are easier ways to do it then running around with oil in your mouth for 20 minutes. What's wrong with brush, floss, and Listerine? Ancients did these things because they didn't have a Walgreen's on every corner. LOL.
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I tried it ... even though I do floss, brush and what not, I have sensitive gums and they bleed a lot.
    I read about the oil pulling and decided to give it a try.
    Bought organic sesame oil and, even though grossed out by the thought of swishing oil, I gave it a go.
    First time, I lasted a minute then the gag reflex set in ... anyways, I kept going.
    Now I do it for about 15minutes every morning.
    My gums are not bleeding anymore and they even look better.
    Since the oil pulling is the only thing that I have changed in my daily routine I do believe that it helps.

So, now y'all can go ahead and make fun of me ... :tongue:
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

.....First time, I lasted a minute then the gag reflex set in ... anyways, I kept going.

I wonder how many creepy FRs you are gonna get now.....Thank me later....:drinker:
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

.....First time, I lasted a minute then the gag reflex set in ... anyways, I kept going.

I wonder how many creepy FRs you are gonna get now.....Thank me later....:drinker:

LOL ... we'll see :ohwell:
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Wow....thanks everyone for being so polite....

IKR.....people can be really insensitive :frown:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Wow....thanks everyone for being so polite....

IKR.....people can be really insensitive :frown:

Sensitive is how you explain to an almost grown child that there really is no santa claus. But when it's a grown adult who believes in santa claus.... that's sort of awkward.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    They used to bleed people too, folks. As to Neti pots - people have died from bacterial infections resulting from using dirty Neti pots. That's the second I stopped doing it. As for swishing a mouth full of oil - there are better, less funky ways to kill bacteria in your mouth. But, as always, whatever turns you on. :smile:

So make sure you clean your neti pot.

People have died fromg eating too.. driving... crossing the street... running.. etc... Doesn't mean you should do it.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have a couple bridges for sale cheap, interested?
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I read about this a few years ago. Supposedly it does have some good effects on dental issues. I don't have a link unfortunately but something out there I read said it's supposed to work to "remove toxins" because of the sublingual contact - sort of like the way sublingual medications are supposed to diffuse through the mucous membranes under the tongue and into the bloodstream, oil pulling is supposed to do the reverse and pull "toxins" out of the bloodstream. Which seems a little hard to believe, assuming you really think there are mysterious toxins to be removed in the first place.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Indian dental secret?

teeth2.jpg

That's sold it to me. I'll take three.

And it instantly cures a screwed immune system by magicking out the pesky immune system components that are attacking my joint, but then unmagicks them to deal with any infections that may be about. Amazing. Just how did you say this works again?

Oh yeah, ancient Indian magic.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I heard about it over a year ago.
    I didn't try it. I don't think I have the patience.
    I hope it works for you!
  • lrbassmom
    lrbassmom Posts: 123
    Options
    Neti Pot... make sure you use distilled water! Tap water has microbes and bacteria in it, albeit small amounts. Use distilled water and you'll be good. It works wonders for seasonal allergies and will clear up a snotty head and prevent getting a sinus infection from the crud.