Do you log your fruits & veggies?

Options

Replies

• mom9198
    mom9198 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Calories, no matter where they come from, can add pounds. I add EVERYTHING so I'm not deluded into thinking I still have massive calories I can eat. In my opinion, there's no point in not logging everything. Might as well not log anything if I'm not logging all my foods. This keeps me on track.
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    They're not free, really. A banana has an average of 100 calories. An apple has around 80. Veggies tend to be really low calorie, but you're probably shooting yourself in the foot by not logging those things, especially the fruit.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Free?
    I log everything. I keep track of fiber and calcium on my diary, and veggies and fruits all have lots of glorious fiber, and many veggies have calcium. I want to know what I'm getting. I want to claim it. I want to be able to look back at my week of month and say "Look at that! There is is! There's my healthy choice right there."
  • shadowfeet33
    shadowfeet33 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If I'm eating a piece of fruit or a salad, I log it. If I'm throwing a tiny bit of onion into my eggs or something like that, probably not.
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I do log everything, but if you didn't feel like logging them to encourage yourself to eat more of them - I think you should go for it!
    I'm going to assume that if you find that you aren't losing weight with your plan, then you are smart enough to re-assess your logging strategy. :)
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    if you eat more calories than you burn then you'll get fatter.
    doesn't matter whether those calories are from peas or pie.

i record my veges to keep track of fibre & protein.
  • ShoshanahM
    ShoshanahM Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Beyond just worrying about your calorie count, isn't it also nice to see all the good choices you've made in the day? When I log everything, I can see that I'm running short on fruits and veggies, or pat myself on the back when I got a good variety of them into my day.

I don't entirely agree that 220 calories of grapes is completely equal to 220 calories of ice cream. Yes, it's 220 calories, but they each carry their own nutritional benefits and drawbacks. Grapes carry their natural sugar bound to their own fiber, which helps the liver metabolize the sugar. They have a higher sugar to fiber ratio than other fruits, but they don't carry a load of saturated fat, like ice cream does. If fill my 1400 calories per day with fried chicken and Skittles, I'd be a less healthier person than someone who ate 1400 calories of lean protein, whole grains, fruit and veg. The benefit of filling up on those fruits and vegetables is that they can take up more space on your plate, but tick fewer calories up on your count.
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I always log fruit and sometimes vegetables depending on what type and how much. If it's diced bell peppers and a few mushrooms I'm tossing into an omelet, then no. But if it's part of a salad or an actual serving, then yes.
  • Icanhazsugarnow
    Options
    I log everything. Except lettuce. There's only 1 calorie in a leaf, so you can eat as much as you want and it won't make a difference.
  • cdswicky
    cdswicky Posts: 43
    Options
    I've only been a member for about two weeks, so I'm still in the gung-ho stage and record everything that enters my mouth, right down to my metamucil at night. So yeah, In my oppinion it's probably a good idea to record even fruits and veggies,. One thing that I think should be mentioned: we are all on our own healthy eating journey and what works for one may not work for another. Just pat yourself on your back for venturing into this world of taking charge of your weight. If NOT counting your fruits and veggies, helps ease you into it, then I say, do what works. Ultimately it comes down to making right food choices...and per my nutritionist, fruits and veggies are always "right on" food choices.

Good luck.
  • yvnursechick
    yvnursechick Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I log eveythng it adds up. even my vitamins
  • cdswicky
    cdswicky Posts: 43
    Options
    Shoshanah-
    It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders regarding this healthy eating stuff. I agree, calories are comparable, but not equal. Grapes and icrecream...same calories, maybe....but same nutrients...I think not.
  • jazzerkaren
    jazzerkaren Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I log fruits because of the sugar but I don't log the lettuce in my salads..,.just the toppings.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    They aren't really free, even if you don't count them. They can add up in calories quite quickly. I would rather go over my calories with fruits and veggies over anything else, but just because I ignore them doesn't mean they aren't there.
  • andyhat1027
    Options
    I did 6 weeks of logging EVERYTHING I ate. Now, I know what I can get by without logging. When I'm hungry and I eat a late zucchini snack, I don't need to put it in. For me, MFP is for breakfast and lunch so I know what I should make for dinner. I rarely go back and look at what I've eaten (unless I get an upset stomach or something like that where it could be helpful). In my mind, every day has to be a step in the right direction. Some steps are bigger but every day should be moving in the right direction. Once you know how many calories things are, I don't see the need to log them as much but every once in a while, I come back for a week or two and just log everything to make sure I'm still on target.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Snacking on fruit all day can leave you with hundreds of unaccounted for calories.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    If I bite it, I write it.
    Nothing is free, fruits & veggies have calories, carbs, sugar etc
    It all adds up. If it works for you, great. If you aren't losing, you might want to change the way you're eating.
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I actually have shed 45 lbs without logging fruits or veg, it works for me!

Portion control is huge (I don't sit there and snack on fruit all day), and it's not all about calories, people! In my opinion the nutritional benefit of fruit and veggies outweigh their calorie count. But, I understand how this wouldn't work for everyone.

Thank you, I enjoyed reading all of your responses (even the snooty ones =P)! Enjoy the journey.
  • leaann1967
    Options
    yes i do log all fruits and veggies. they also have calories. therefore if i don't log them I tend to think I still have more calories in the bank for the day. when i dont
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If I eat it, I log it. It really is that simple.