Still think your 1200 or less diet is a good idea?

Options

Replies

• ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    there are likely as many people who complain it isn't working that eat 2k or even 1800 calories. context
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    If you are 5 feet or under and have a slow metabolism, then YES, 1200 will work just fine. If you are a guy and over 6 foot with muscles, then NO, it won't. I don't think you can just make a blanket statement that 1200 is "bad", any more than you can say 2000 is "good". For an inactive 55 year old woman who's 5 feet tall, YOUR diet could make her gain weight. HER diet would starve you. Really important to look at the individual, not just the number.
    I fall into the 1st line of criteria... 1200 calories still didn't work for me. I lost weight when I kicked my calories up by a couple of hundred.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I cosumed 1970 calories at dinner last night, including about three quarts of beer. :drinker: belch
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    It worked for me.

that's just sad....you could be eating so much more

I was being sarcastic, I actually eat about 3200 a day. :D

i was gonna say. I took a peek at your diary and it looks like you eat like a beast! Which leads me to think you train like a beast as well! :drinker:

I try to! I do enough to still lose roughly .5 lb a week, no sense in only eating 1200 calories for sure.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m7lcxdbN4V1ry10fwo1_250.gif
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's kinda depressing really. Were these just from the past hour?

nah, i've bookmarked them over time. just the ones i happen to come across. this is just the tip of the iceberg.

NO these WERE from the last hour. :angry:
    :happy: :happy: :happy: :tongue:
  • jenn012112
    Options
    if MFP is telling me to eat 1200/day should i up it? i want to gain muscle and lose fat... and dont want to end up stuck at my normal 124 lbs!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    if you undereat long enough you'll lose weight, I mean people with eating disorders do even the ones that don't purge, such as anorexia restricting type.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Cannot remember the last time I ate below 1200. Not since I have been on here anyway, could not and would not do it. Pointless doing it for most and counterproductive at best. Eat over 1600 daily, often over 2000, depending on my workout. But to each their own, I suppose. Great job providing all the evidence. I get majorly irritated sometimes by the number of that kind of thread turning up on a daily basis. They seem to reproduce at a rapid rate.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    if MFP is telling me to eat 1200/day should i up it? i want to gain muscle and lose fat... and dont want to end up stuck at my normal 124 lbs!

You'll have an extraordinarily difficult time to gain anything eating 1200 calories, unless you previous ate less than that chronically.

Muscle is gained with a calorie surplus, not deficit, except beginner gains.

MFP sets nearly everyone at 1200 calories which is below 99% of the population's BMR.

You should definitely eat more if you want to gain muscle.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

You expect to gain muscle on 1200 calories a day? You are joking, right ? You will be losing muscle on that big a deficit, not gaining. The only reference I know of where you can lose fat and gain muscle at the same time is on scooby's workshop site, and to do that involves lifting weights and eating at a very small deficit off your tdee.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    if you undereat long enough you'll lose weight, I mean people with eating disorders do even the ones that don't purge, such as anorexia restricting type.

Good point. We wouldn't want to spend all this hard work and discipline and end up looking like an anorexic, now would we?
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

You'll have an extraordinarily difficult time to gain anything eating 1200 calories, unless you previous ate less than that chronically.

MFP sets nearly everyone at 1200 calories which is below 99% of the population's BMR.

your muscles will strengthen which in turn will help you burn fat more to maintain them. It's bull that you need something like 2200 calories to lose fat while gaining muscle unless you want to body build, which we have alot of those people on here for some reason. I haven't been on a surplus, except for maybe 1 or 2 days a week going a bit over on calories for a month and somehow my muscles have firmed up. I guess I"m a witch or something.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

your muscles will strengthen which in turn will help you burn fat more to maintain them. It's bull that you need something like 2200 calories to lose fat while gaining muscle unless you want to body build, which we have alot of those people on here for some reason. I haven't been on a surplus, except for maybe 1 or 2 days a week going a bit over on calories for a month and somehow my muscles have firmed up. I guess I"m a witch or something.

Congratulations! You lost fat! Your muscles can't build something out of nothing. There has to be an energy surplus for that to happen.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

Firmed up muscles and getting stronger IS NOT THE SAME THING AS GAINING MUSCLE.

Why do people think that these are synonymous???
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

No.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options

Congratulations! You lost fat! Your muscles can't build something out of nothing. There has to be an energy surplus for that to happen.

This.
    There is a difference between building lean mass and losing fat so the lean mass you already have is more noticeable.
  • Lyadeia
    Options

Exactly. When you lose fat, firm muscle appears because the fat is not covering it up anymore. But building muscle requires energy, energy from food, and building something takes more than your metabolism ordinarily needs just to live.

Ever built Legos without said Legos? You can't just have the desire to do it and go through the motions and expect a lego building to appear out of nothing.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    with so much time on your hands, You could also do a search and find lots and lots of success stories of people eating 1200 cals and losing heaps of weight.
  • Lyadeia
    Options
    with so much time on your hands, You could also do a search and find lots and lots of success stories of people eating 1200 cals and losing heaps of weight.

No thanks, we'd rather eat and be healthy.