Grocery list Must haves

Options
LisaLamb1
LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
I try to do all my shopping on Sundays to be ready for the week - what are your must haves? I usually buy the same things every week:

WW Bread, Canned (Boneless/Skinless) Wild salmon, greek yogurt, deli turkey, veggies (celery, cucumber, carrots) for snacks, apples, bananas, mixed greens, WW pitas, chicken and eggs. Looking for some new and exciting foods.

What are your staples and favorites?

Replies

• Sandraleigh87
    Sandraleigh87 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and a slice of american cheese on an english muffin is awesome!!! Also smoothies with vanilla protein powder, almond milk, frozen strawberries and blueberries, and ice (greek yogurt or quacker oats can be mixed in too)...yum! Bananas with natural peanut butter. Cottage cheese. There are a couple simple ideas.
  • LisaLamb1
    Options
    Egg whites and a slice of american cheese on an english muffin is awesome!!! Also smoothies with vanilla protein powder, almond milk, frozen strawberries and blueberries, and ice (greek yogurt or quacker oats can be mixed in too)...yum! Bananas with natural peanut butter. Cottage cheese. There are a couple simple ideas.

Thanks!
  • Browneyedgirl4
    Browneyedgirl4 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sandraleigh87 about the smoothie. I have recently started adding Organic spinach, the strawberries and blueberries cover the spinach flavor. Just another way to get in some extra vitamins. Good luck!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    weight watcher wraps, pastrami, 1% milk, cheese if I don't have some, whatever fruits and vegetables are on sale and/or are part of my meal menu ideas, canned tuna, whatever lean meats and fish that might be on sale
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I keep my pantry stocked with vegetable broth and canned diced tomatoes because I like to make vegan soups and stews. I prefer the "No-Chicken Broth" by Imagine. It's not as sweet as other veggie broths.

This week I tried a new dish: Zucchini, Great Northern beans (white), onions and Italian seasonings with a little vegetable broth and canned tomatoes. It was so yummy, I didn't even miss the pasta. I made 7 cups, so over the course of a few days, when I reheated I changed it up. Once I added spinach, another time red peppers, and another time peas and potatoes.

My other staple is low fat hummus by Oasis Mediterranean Cuisine. I use it for sandwich spread or veggie dip.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, I buy zucchini pretty much every time I go to the store. It is extremely versatile, filling, and low calorie. I like it cooked in stir fry with teriyaki sauce, cooked in garlic and olive oil with parmesan cheese on top, added to an omelet, and so much more.

Eggs (or egg beaters or both)

OroWheat Sandwich thins. A hundred calories of delicious bread with tons of fiber.

Fresh Salmon (at 7.99/lb at my local grocery store) Amazing, tons of protein and can be cooked with just lemon and pepper on top or with something like a raspberry chipotle sauce.

Chicken breast meat (either whole chicken breasts or the tenders whichever are cheaper)

Frozen fruits to put in oatmeal especially berries. Cheaper than fresh, keep for longer, can be thrown in oatmeal or yogurt. In yogurt they will keep it cool for quite a while, in oatmeal, they cook with the oatmeal. Also can be used as a dessert alternative, cook with a little brown sugar.

Frozen veggies. Sometimes, I just feel too lazy to cook fresh veggies and other times, I run out and don't want to have to go to the store yet.

Canned (or packaged tuna). I like tuna melts with the OroWheat sandwich thins an ultra thin slice of swiss cheese (220 calories of amazing for the sandwich)

Cheese. I either buy it in the Sargento ultra thin slices or a block. Shredded cheese goes a long way for the calories and I find that shredding it myself with a micro planar gives me a nice fine shred I can spread all over a couple servings of eggs or bread, etc...

Oatmeal. I buy the minute or steel cut in canisters. It is cheaper and just as easy to carry around with some tuperware. Also can be added to some frozen fruit and brown sugar and cooked to resemble a fruit crisp for relatively low calories.

Pork loin. Can be cooked in a variety of ways, it is a leaner meat and delicious.

Baby carrots. I like them with hummus or cooked in a stir fry or as a snack by themselves

Apples. I have found that I am hungrier for apples lately (not sure why)

Uncle Ben's Brown ready rice. Takes 90 seconds to cook, I portion it out by weight and can get several servings from a single package and I can add it when I want more calories or feel like eating something carb loaded.

Sweet Potatoes. I can bake them whole or chop them up into "fries" toss in olive oil and rosemary and then cook for 20 minutes (350-400F) and have delicious sweet and salty fries full of fiber.

I think those are the things I try to make sure I have around. Hope that is helpful :)

Edited to add: Extra virgin olive oil. Couldn't go a week without it.
  • LisaLamb1
    Options
    I keep my pantry stocked with vegetable broth and canned diced tomatoes because I like to make vegan soups and stews. I prefer the "No-Chicken Broth" by Imagine. It's not as sweet as other veggie broths.

This week I tried a new dish: Zucchini, Great Northern beans (white), onions and Italian seasonings with a little vegetable broth and canned tomatoes. It was so yummy, I didn't even miss the pasta. I made 7 cups, so over the course of a few days, when I reheated I changed it up. Once I added spinach, another time red peppers, and another time peas and potatoes.

My other staple is low fat hummus by Oasis Mediterranean Cuisine. I use it for sandwich spread or veggie dip.

The white bean dish sounds awesome! I was thinking of attempting to make dahl this week (I have an indian friend to help me!)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Cheap proteinz.

8533882158_9f92e3f8db_c.jpg

Get that and potatoes, and you've pretty much got nachos. Or just steak and potatoes. Either/or, deliciousness on a budget.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Cucumber, Bananas, Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, CHOCOLATE.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • LisaLamb1
    Options
    Zucchini, I buy zucchini pretty much every time I go to the store. It is extremely versatile, filling, and low calorie. I like it cooked in stir fry with teriyaki sauce, cooked in garlic and olive oil with parmesan cheese on top, added to an omelet, and so much more.

Eggs (or egg beaters or both)

OroWheat Sandwich thins. A hundred calories of delicious bread with tons of fiber.

Fresh Salmon (at 7.99/lb at my local grocery store) Amazing, tons of protein and can be cooked with just lemon and pepper on top or with something like a raspberry chipotle sauce.

Chicken breast meat (either whole chicken breasts or the tenders whichever are cheaper)

Frozen fruits to put in oatmeal especially berries. Cheaper than fresh, keep for longer, can be thrown in oatmeal or yogurt. In yogurt they will keep it cool for quite a while, in oatmeal, they cook with the oatmeal. Also can be used as a dessert alternative, cook with a little brown sugar.

Frozen veggies. Sometimes, I just feel too lazy to cook fresh veggies and other times, I run out and don't want to have to go to the store yet.

Canned (or packaged tuna). I like tuna melts with the OroWheat sandwich thins an ultra thin slice of swiss cheese (220 calories of amazing for the sandwich)

Cheese. I either buy it in the Sargento ultra thin slices or a block. Shredded cheese goes a long way for the calories and I find that shredding it myself with a micro planar gives me a nice fine shred I can spread all over a couple servings of eggs or bread, etc...

Oatmeal. I buy the minute or steel cut in canisters. It is cheaper and just as easy to carry around with some tuperware. Also can be added to some frozen fruit and brown sugar and cooked to resemble a fruit crisp for relatively low calories.

Pork loin. Can be cooked in a variety of ways, it is a leaner meat and delicious.

Baby carrots. I like them with hummus or cooked in a stir fry or as a snack by themselves

Apples. I have found that I am hungrier for apples lately (not sure why)

Uncle Ben's Brown ready rice. Takes 90 seconds to cook, I portion it out by weight and can get several servings from a single package and I can add it when I want more calories or feel like eating something carb loaded.

Sweet Potatoes. I can bake them whole or chop them up into "fries" toss in olive oil and rosemary and then cook for 20 minutes (350-400F) and have delicious sweet and salty fries full of fiber.

I think those are the things I try to make sure I have around. Hope that is helpful :)

Very helpful - Thank you!!!
  • LisaLamb1
    Options
    Cucumber, Bananas, Sara Lee 45 calorie bread, CHOCOLATE.

I don't think we get Sara Lee bread in Canada, but I know we have Chocolate!!!
  • LisaLamb1
    Options
    Cheap proteinz.

8533882158_9f92e3f8db_c.jpg

Get that and potatoes, and you've pretty much got nachos. Or just steak and potatoes. Either/or, deliciousness on a budget.

I don't mind spending money on meat, we have a great butcher just up the road, but steak and potatos - great staple! THANKS
  • iveyroze3
    iveyroze3 Posts: 89
    Options
    I like Flat Out brand wraps. ( 100 cal,low carb,good fiber ) Usually with chicken or turkey, sometimes swiss or Gouda cheese and I use Hellmans Olive Oil mayo. Not skimping and using fat free. Yuk

Fuji apples and cheddar~~~Natural peanut butter````Optimum Nutrition double chocolate protein powder~PB2 is a low cal mix in dry peanut butter to add to shakes

Hummus with garlic and baby carrots. I make egg salad or just boiled eggs

Broccoli, Weight control oatmeal ,Flax seed added to it and sometimes to my shakes

Natural applesauce

Mixed greens with fresh mozarella and cherry tomatoes. I use Bolt house Farms yogurt dressing Ranch flavor ( 45 Cal for 2 Tbsp and tastes great )

Cottage cheese and pineapple

Bluberries
  • mfahadaijaz
    mfahadaijaz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    1) Baby Carrots for Vit A
    2) Canned Red Kidney Beans for Iron
    3) Dried Apricots - ONE OF THE BEST SNAKS - Full of Iron, Vit A, Vit C, Potassium, Carbs and bits of Calcium and Protiens
    4) Canned White Boiled Beans for high amounts of Potassium, Iron and Calcium.. has some protiens as well
    5) Fish ANY - best and healthiest source of protiens

My Analysis:

We eat good amounts of protiens, sodium, carbs, sugars, fats etc. in our daily normal diet but we lack Iron, Vitamins and Potassium.

We need more potassium (White Beans) so that we dont feel lazy and hyper tensed.

Iron (red or white beans) should be consumed with VitC (pineapples) as Iron is absorbed in body well enough if taken in with VitC.

My Suggestion to All: EAT DRIED APPRICOTS AND HONEY DAILY AS BOTH OF THEM CONTAINS HIGH AMOUNTS OF ALMOST EVERY NEEDED NUTRIENT!
  • Reinventing_Joi
    Options
    Ahhh, grocery shopping... $197.00 later...

My musthaves are: Morningstar breakfast patties, Eggs, Tofurky italian sausages and shrimp for my Tony Chacheres' Veggie Jambalaya! I add stewed tomatoes to the mix. I make smart ground tacos w/out cheese! I also must have whole wheat pasta! I add the fake meat to my spaghetti sauce as well. I think this adds the protein without exceeding my fat percentage. Skinny cow ice cream sandwiches...leafy veggies, spinach, basil, tomatoes, lime flavored sparkling water :-)
  • LisaLamb1
    Options
    I like Flat Out brand wraps. ( 100 cal,low carb,good fiber ) Usually with chicken or turkey, sometimes swiss or Gouda cheese and I use Hellmans Olive Oil mayo. Not skimping and using fat free. Yuk

Fuji apples and cheddar~~~Natural peanut butter````Optimum Nutrition double chocolate protein powder~PB2 is a low cal mix in dry peanut butter to add to shakes

Hummus with garlic and baby carrots. I make egg salad or just boiled eggs

Broccoli, Weight control oatmeal ,Flax seed added to it and sometimes to my shakes

Natural applesauce

Mixed greens with fresh mozarella and cherry tomatoes. I use Bolt house Farms yogurt dressing Ranch flavor ( 45 Cal for 2 Tbsp and tastes great )

Cottage cheese and pineapple

Bluberries

Natural Applesauce, adding that to my list right now!

Can you buy PB2 in stores or only on line?
  • LisaLamb1
    Options
    1) Baby Carrots for Vit A
    2) Canned Red Kidney Beans for Iron
    3) Dried Apricots - ONE OF THE BEST SNAKS - Full of Iron, Vit A, Vit C, Potassium, Carbs and bits of Calcium and Protiens
    4) Canned White Boiled Beans for high amounts of Potassium, Iron and Calcium.. has some protiens as well
    5) Fish ANY - best and healthiest source of protiens

My Analysis:

We eat good amounts of protiens, sodium, carbs, sugars, fats etc. in our daily normal diet but we lack Iron, Vitamins and Potassium.

We need more potassium (White Beans) so that we dont feel lazy and hyper tensed.

Iron (red or white beans) should be consumed with VitC (pineapples) as Iron is absorbed in body well enough if taken in with VitC.

My Suggestion to All: EAT DRIED APPRICOTS AND HONEY DAILY AS BOTH OF THEM CONTAINS HIGH AMOUNTS OF ALMOST EVERY NEEDED NUTRIENT!

And adding dried apricots now too!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Milk
    Greek yogurt
    Berries
    Ice cream
    Veggies such as brussell sprouts. mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli and asparagus
    Bread rolls
    Coffee
    Avocados
    Nuts/seeds and nut/seed butters
    Gardein products
    Tofu
    Edamame (dried and fresh)
    Primal Strips (veggie jerky)
    Luna cookie dough bars
    Cheese
    Eggs
    Did I mention ice cream?
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Milk
    Greek Yogurt
    Lots of veggies almost always including brussel sprouts, mixed greens, spinach, avocados, peppers
    Sweet Potatoes (lots of them)
    Apples
    Bananas
    Berries (right now i'm on a blueberry kick)
    Lite shredded cheese
    Black beans
    Whole wheat wraps
    whole wheat bread
    Whole wheat english muffins
    Granola
    Ground turkey
    Chicken breast
    Ground Beef
    Salmon

Obviously there are things I buy in bulk or that I don't buy every time I go to the store like almonds, peanut butter, oats, brown rice, black beans, diced tomatoes, chicken broth...