Grocery list Must haves

Options

Replies

• RM10003
    RM10003 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I keep my pantry stocked with vegetable broth and canned diced tomatoes because I like to make vegan soups and stews. I prefer the "No-Chicken Broth" by Imagine. It's not as sweet as other veggie broths.

My other staple is low fat hummus by Oasis Mediterranean Cuisine. I use it for sandwich spread or veggie dip.

My mother was telling me about the No-Chicken Broth when I was whining to her about the taste of the Trader Joe's Low-Sodium Veggie Broth (too carrot/tomato-heavy, not good for a more delicately flavored soup). Thanks for the reminder!

Do you ever make your own hummus? I've recently discovered how amazing the pressure cooker is for cooking dried chickpeas--absolutely no soak needed. I generally make a batch of hummus on the weekend to snack on over the week. This week's version includes sweet potato and curry powder, which is a little odd, but it's good to mix it up every once in a while.
  • veganpancakes
    Options
    Granola
    bell peppers
    spinach/kale
    banana
    carrots
    blueberries<3
    avocado
    cucumber
    peanut butter
    firm tofu
    sometimes Gardein meat substitutes
    whole wheat bread
    PISTACHIOS
    almond milk (unsweet and unflavored)
    dried or canned beans/lentils
    whole wheat pastas
    brown rice
    Luna bars
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I don't eat the same things every week... I would get bored out of my skull eating the same foods all the time.

Yeah man I see people do that when I look at their diaries. I would cry.

People have my list generally covered, but I don't buy bread because I make my own! Got a 10-lb bag of WW flour at Costco. This week I'm going to try my hand at making pita.
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    eggs, chicken breast, brown rice, frozen veggies, spinach, peppers, apples, mangos, grapefruit, strawberries, vanilla chobani, bananas, oatmeal, whole grain bread, morningstar veggie burgers, peanut butter
  • ericadawn92
    ericadawn92 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Probably the #1 thing on my list is Greek yogurt :D after that...

Eggs
    Egg whites
    Low fat cottage cheese
    Shredded cheese (usually reduced fat)
    Light string cheese (great snack)
    Ultra thin cheese slices (I don't need more than one for a normal sandwhich...get sharp cheddar for more flavor)
    Veggies (carrots, lettuce, SPINACH, zucchini, asparagus, BELL PEPPERS, onions, mushrooms, BROCCOLI, PEAS, corn--but broccoli, peas, and corn frozen)
    Fruit (APPLES, BANANAS, kiwi, CLEMENTINES, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries --usually buy the berries frozen cause it's cheaper)
    Potatoes
    Sliced turkey
    Salami
    Chicken breast
    Ground turkey (as lean as I can afford)
    Tilapia
    Swai
    Salmon (if I can afford it)
    Village Hearth Light 12 Grain Bread (only 40 cals a slice)
    Thomas Bagel Thins (Everything or 100% Whole Wheat)
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    This is what I always have on hand. I don't necessarily buy each week because I also buy in bulk.

All Organic . . .

Variety of Fruits
    Variety of Veggies
    Legumes
    Lentils
    Quinoa
    Brown Rice
    Rolled Oats/Steel Cut Oats
    Ezekiel Sprouted No Flour Bread
    Coconut Milk no added sugar
    Coffee & Herbal Teas
    Olives
    Roasted Red Peppers (as a treat - fairly high sodium)
    Hummus
    Olive Oil
    Wine Vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar with Mother
    Unrefined Coconut Oil
    Chia, Flax, Sesame, Hemp Seeds
    Raw Pistachios, Cashews, Walnuts, Almonds
    Peanut Butter (don't eat as much as the whole nuts though)
    70 - 80% Dark Chocolate
    RAW Honey
    "just blueberry" juice, "just cranberry juice", pineapple juice (for shakes)
    Rice Cakes
  • MarshCat79
    MarshCat79 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Bananas, avocados, yogurt, Dave's Killer Bread. Someday I should try a sandwich with those ingredients.:happy:
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Chicken breast
    Salad stuff
    Sandwich thins
    Feta
    Yoghurt
    Almond Milk unsweetened
    Frozen berries
  • KassLamb
    KassLamb Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Beans (kidney or black)
    boneless skinless chicken breast
    bell peppers
    brown rice
    tilapia fillets
    frozen broccoli
    frozen mixed veggies
    fat free cottage cheese
    carrots
    celery
    approximately all of the apples on sale in the store

Edit: I don't know how I missed berries. I get all sulky when I open the fridge and see that the blackberries or blueberries are gone.
  • SuZQz173
    SuZQz173 Posts: 37
    Options
    Almond milk unsweetened
    Mushrooms, more mushrooms bella, white any I can get
    red, orange yellow peppers
    garbonzo beans, either for a bean sald or to mix with tuna for yummy tuna salad
    spaghetti squash to use rather than psta, with sauce--or in soup (yum!!)
    butternut or acorn squash
    banas, to peel and freeze for smoothies
    whichever good fruit for smoothies is on sale
    cantalope when it's on sale, because I seem to lose weight with it
    always have an extra Brita water tap filter on hand
    always have cinnamon, nutmeg for smoothies
    thyme for near any dish
    canned peaches, because I won't eat real fuzzy ones
  • brilynn79
    brilynn79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Zucchini, I buy zucchini pretty much every time I go to the store. It is extremely versatile, filling, and low calorie. I like it cooked in stir fry with teriyaki sauce, cooked in garlic and olive oil with parmesan cheese on top, added to an omelet, and so much more.

Eggs (or egg beaters or both)

OroWheat Sandwich thins. A hundred calories of delicious bread with tons of fiber.

Fresh Salmon (at 7.99/lb at my local grocery store) Amazing, tons of protein and can be cooked with just lemon and pepper on top or with something like a raspberry chipotle sauce.

Chicken breast meat (either whole chicken breasts or the tenders whichever are cheaper)

Frozen fruits to put in oatmeal especially berries. Cheaper than fresh, keep for longer, can be thrown in oatmeal or yogurt. In yogurt they will keep it cool for quite a while, in oatmeal, they cook with the oatmeal. Also can be used as a dessert alternative, cook with a little brown sugar.

Frozen veggies. Sometimes, I just feel too lazy to cook fresh veggies and other times, I run out and don't want to have to go to the store yet.

Canned (or packaged tuna). I like tuna melts with the OroWheat sandwich thins an ultra thin slice of swiss cheese (220 calories of amazing for the sandwich)

Cheese. I either buy it in the Sargento ultra thin slices or a block. Shredded cheese goes a long way for the calories and I find that shredding it myself with a micro planar gives me a nice fine shred I can spread all over a couple servings of eggs or bread, etc...

Oatmeal. I buy the minute or steel cut in canisters. It is cheaper and just as easy to carry around with some tuperware. Also can be added to some frozen fruit and brown sugar and cooked to resemble a fruit crisp for relatively low calories.

Pork loin. Can be cooked in a variety of ways, it is a leaner meat and delicious.

Baby carrots. I like them with hummus or cooked in a stir fry or as a snack by themselves

Apples. I have found that I am hungrier for apples lately (not sure why)

Uncle Ben's Brown ready rice. Takes 90 seconds to cook, I portion it out by weight and can get several servings from a single package and I can add it when I want more calories or feel like eating something carb loaded.

Sweet Potatoes. I can bake them whole or chop them up into "fries" toss in olive oil and rosemary and then cook for 20 minutes (350-400F) and have delicious sweet and salty fries full of fiber.

I think those are the things I try to make sure I have around. Hope that is helpful :)

Edited to add: Extra virgin olive oil. Couldn't go a week without it.

Nice list:)
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • The_Outlaw_Torn
    The_Outlaw_Torn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Cucumbers for the wife, eggs and energy drinks.
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Carrots, carrots, carrots lol

Also Leader Protein 40 drink for my strength training days (3 times a week), bell peppers, Greek yoghurt, fast oatmeal porridge, chicken tenderloin...
  • fitnessmare
    fitnessmare Posts: 117
    Options
    great food ideas!
  • faybayer
    faybayer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Suzyqall72
    Suzyqall72 Posts: 105
    Options
    I like Laughing cow Light cheese, especially the onion kind. It's good smeared on Special K multigrain crackers. I also make sure I have apples and I eat them with a Tbsp of peanut butter for a snack.
  • mlogantra76
    mlogantra76 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I eat the same thing for breakfast every single day. In fact, I've probably eaten an egg white omelet with spinach or yellow squash and cheese for YEARS:) My other meals vary week to week but not day to day. I am notorious at work for bringing the exact same thing for lunch every day. Lately its been non fat plain greek yogurt with cinnamon and steel cut oats with berries. I only have 25 minutes to eat.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I also go for English muffins, Nature's Own whole wheat or grain bread and deli meat (prima della peppered turkey or black forest ham) Crystal Farms string cheese, Emerald natural almonds, bananas, oranges, apples, pears, strawberries (when in season) cucumber, lettuce, baby carrots, Kashi Go Lean Crunch - Honey Almond Flax, Fiber One brownies, 1 Dove dark chocolate bar (to keep in my desk at work for any sudden chocolate cravings- takes the entire week to eat it all), stock up on whatever meat is on sale at Kroger (chicken breast, pork tenderloin, ribeye steak, turkey breast) and Lean Cuisine for lunch at work (herb roasted chicken, salad toppers, santa fe rice, beef tips with broccoli) Whatever shredded cheese is on sale, yogurt for my man, and of course eggs.

At Aldi: Whatever Fit & Active snacks I'm in the mood for. Clancy's sweet potato chips or veggie chips, and Savoritz wheat thins.

Edit: Whatever other produce is on sale: bell peppers, zucchini, spaghetti squash, etc. Blueberries for my boyfriend's pancakes. I plan my dinner based on whatever meat and produce is on sale. For example, if chicken is on sale along with bell peppers; I'll use them to make a quesadilla. Cabbage along with pork tenderloin? Pulled pork bbq sandwiches with cole slaw. Sometimes if jar spaghetti sauce is on sale, I'll grab spaghetti squash and make a meat sauce. If cream cheese is on sale, I make homemade alfredo for the spaghetti squash. Then it also depends on time of year. I like my produce in season so in the Summer, I eat more salads. In the winter, I eat more soups.