It's nearly impossible!

Options
delvin2
delvin2 Posts: 120 Member
Just had breakfast and I'm already 11g over my recommended sugar intake and I'm halfway there on sodium. Now I admit, 2 slices of regular pork bacon wasn't a good choice, but thankfully, that's the last of the pack. I'll be getting turkey bacon today.

Breakfast:

- 6 oz of OJ
- 2 slices of bacon
- 4 egg whites
- 1 pancake topped with a whole sliced banana, 25 blueberries, and a touch of honey

I know fruit contains sugar, but I thought I was doing well not to drown the pancake in syrup. I need some low sugar & low sodium options.

Replies

• jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    unless you have medical reasons, and there are lots of them, it is not neccesary to worry about sugar to much. (within reason of course)
  • whitleynoel
    whitleynoel Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I don't worry as much about the sugar. I have fruit and yogurt with walnuts and it always goes over on the sugar. Remember that the mirror is the best judge of progress. If you FEEL good and see progress then you are doing great :happy:
  • AshyyMM
    AshyyMM Posts: 131
    Options
    its true what they've said about sugar!!...
    I used to go over daily...well still do, and my only source of sugar in the beginning was fruits!!...by the time I had 2 servings I was over!!..
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar....I don't even track it. Unless you have a medical condition, there's not really a reason to. Try to make healthy choices most of the time and don't worry about the occassional splurge.

As far as sodium goes, you probably want to be more cautious there. Excess sodium can cause fluid retention and can mask weight loss. As long as you eat mostly whole foods, that will help cut down on your sodium. When cooking, use more spices and less salt. On days that you have lots of sodium, eat plenty of potassium to counteract the sodium and drink lots of water.

Also, be sure to read the packages of turkey bacon. Most of them aren't any better than regular bacon, nutritionally. Some are even higher in fat, calories, and sodium (since it's the salt that makes it taste good). You're usually better off sticking with regular bacon and just moderating your intake of it.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

Also, be sure to read the packages of turkey bacon. Most of them aren't any better than regular bacon, nutritionally. Some are even higher in fat, calories, and sodium (since it's the salt that makes it taste good). You're usually better off sticking with regular bacon and just moderating your intake of it.

Came here to say this.
  • wildaaron
    wildaaron Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Have water instead of OJ - you miss out on the best parts of the orange and are just drinking the sugar water that's left. One glass of orange juice normally needs around 4 oranges to make, you wouldn't sit down and eat for oranges in one sitting on top of everything else -

At least when you eat the fruit you get the fiber and other nutrients that you miss out on when it's juiced.

PLUS sugar makes you fat -
  • chubby2day
    Options
    I am glad this subject was brought up. I have been wondering how to eat the right amount of fruit and keep my sugar in the right zone. I will keep eating the fruit and not worry so much about the sugar.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    What everyone said about sugar is aces, but if you are really looking to cut down for other reasons besides weight loss, consider an Orange, instead of the Orange juice. Juices have a lot of sugar!

And, you already know about the sodium in the bacon ;-) (although you sound like me..."the pack is empty now!")

Good luck with your goals!
  • JoshuaL86
    JoshuaL86 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I do track my sodium and try not to go over 2500 mg/day. With that said, I don't even focus on sugar, I just make sure I don't go over my carbs. Fruit will put you over sugar, and quickly too.
  • vdumenko82
    vdumenko82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Having the orange is better than drinking its juice. You get fibre and it helps you stay satisfied. Bananas are also high in sugar but your doing great :) You didn't use syrup so that was a good choice. Check out the Glycemic index for sugar content, that will help you choose lower sugar fruits. Have a great day!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Check your Turkey Bacon package, some of it is worse for you than regular. I've been getting uncured bacon lately. No nitrates. Only about 45 calories a slice. You cook most of the fat out. I've been making it on a broiler pan In the oven. It comes out great. If you're concerned about sodium, then you shouldn't be having any form of bacon. But I'll take the real thing over processed turkey any day! Remember its ok in moderation.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Your daily recommended amount of sugar refers to ADDED sugars only. So fruits and veggies definitely don't count towards that. I stopped tracking sugar with the amounts of fruit I eat.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    interesting that Wildaaron's comment has so far been ignored but his is so far the only correct reply. I second.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar....I don't even track it. Unless you have a medical condition, there's not really a reason to. Try to make healthy choices most of the time and don't worry about the occassional splurge.

As far as sodium goes, you probably want to be more cautious there. Excess sodium can cause fluid retention and can mask weight loss. As long as you eat mostly whole foods, that will help cut down on your sodium. When cooking, use more spices and less salt. On days that you have lots of sodium, eat plenty of potassium to counteract the sodium and drink lots of water.

Agree. I'd just go for regular bacon. I do like turkey sausage though, it's the only turkey product that I can do.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Have water instead of OJ - you miss out on the best parts of the orange and are just drinking the sugar water that's left. One glass of orange juice normally needs around 4 oranges to make, you wouldn't sit down and eat for oranges in one sitting on top of everything else -

At least when you eat the fruit you get the fiber and other nutrients that you miss out on when it's juiced.

Sugar doesn't make you fat if you're in a deficit. Any food will make you fat if you're not in a deficit.

I don't drink orange juice generally but there's no reason why the OP shouldn't if it meets her goal and she enjoys it.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

No... Calories make you fat.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    interesting that Wildaaron's comment has so far been ignored but his is so far the only correct reply. I second.

His reply is not the only correct reply.

Sugar does not make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

I'm still surprised at the amount of wrong information still being told on these boards. Sugar, protein, fat, etc don't make you fat. Excess calories do!
  • mjculbertson4512
    mjculbertson4512 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You just had three of your 5-7 servings of fruits and veggies in one meal. Try rounding out your intake of nutrients over the day.

Maybe a glass of milk with breakfast instead of juice. Drop to one slice of bacon. Check your pancake mix, whole grain? Sugar content.

One fruit for topping is plenty. Honey, can be good, but this is sugar unrefined or not. Try to cut back on the honey to a teaspoon or so, and measure the amount don't just tag a SWAG at it.

You do see your nutrients on MFP and can get an idea of what to limit when you eat.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Skip the orange juice unless you make your own.... store bought kind is loaded with sugar.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

It was ignored because it was wrong - sugar doesn't make you fat

Excess calories (of anything) make you fat.

Yea eating a whole orange is better than drinking it - but if it fits in your calorie goal why not.

Op ignore sugar and concentrate on carbs, protein and fat in a good balance.

Edit: drat took too long typing and I've basically copied a few other. Oh well good information can never be repeated too often :flowerforyou: