It's nearly impossible!

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sugar well fructose get's turned into fatty acids which then turns to fat in the body - why do you think the recommendation is 2 serves of fruit a day - sure there's good benefits of the fiber and other nutrients, but too much fructose will make you fat. Also sugar ups your insulin levels in the body which makes your body store fat. Fructose makes the brain leptin resistant, which means that the brain doesn’t “see” all the stored fat in the body and thinks that it is starving. This causes a powerful leptin-induced biochemical drive to keep eating even when we don’t need to.

Sugar doesn't make us fat? You've got to be kidding. A calorie is not a calorie -

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

Also, protein spikes insulin as well:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sugar well fructose get's turned into fatty acids which then turns to fat in the body - why do you think the recommendation is 2 serves of fruit a day - sure there's good benefits of the fiber and other nutrients, but too much fructose will make you fat. Also sugar ups your insulin levels in the body which makes your body store fat. Fructose makes the brain leptin resistant, which means that the brain doesn’t “see” all the stored fat in the body and thinks that it is starving. This causes a powerful leptin-induced biochemical drive to keep eating even when we don’t need to.

Sugar doesn't make us fat? You've got to be kidding. A calorie is not a calorie -

Please read this

you are talking rubbish.

Crud beat me to it while I was typing. :drinker:
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love me some sugar!

OP, the only thing I would have done differently is eaten the orange instead of drinking the orange juice. But I'm not a fan of orange juice regardless.

OH and I would have eaten the whole egg. I AM a fan of the yolk.
  • blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    I would check the sugar in your orange juice - fruit drinks are often high in sugar.

Sugar is an issue because as we all know, it can cause diabetes not to mention the effect on tooth decay.

I think what everyone ends up doing is taking a close look at what you're getting out of your high sugar foods and thinking about whether it's worth it, and whether you can get those nutrients elsewhere.

My big weakness is milk - I drink tons of the stuff, but it clocks up the sugar count due to its lactose content. I choose to carry on though because I'm happy about the calcium and protein I get from it.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Just had breakfast and I'm already 11g over my recommended sugar intake and I'm halfway there on sodium. Now I admit, 2 slices of regular pork bacon wasn't a good choice, but thankfully, that's the last of the pack. I'll be getting turkey bacon today.

Breakfast:

- 6 oz of OJ
    - 2 slices of bacon
    - 4 egg whites
    - 1 pancake topped with a whole sliced banana, 25 blueberries, and a touch of honey

I know fruit contains sugar, but I thought I was doing well not to drown the pancake in syrup. I need some low sugar & low sodium options.

They have a 2,500 limit on Sodium. It stays the same. The only way I could hit it when eating 1800 Calories a day was to cut out most processed food. A lot of those microwave dinners have 900 or more Sodium. Fast food easily goes over 1200.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    As far as sodium is concerned, be careful with turkey bacon too. Some often have more sodium than regular bacon. I know there are lower sodium and lower fat pork bacon varieties out there, but I haven't seen low sodium turkey bacon. Check the labels first.

Just to compare, 2 slices of regular Gwaltney pork bacon has 70 calories, 6 grams of fat and 280mg sodium while 1 slice of Shady Brooks Farms turkey bacon has 35 calories, 3 grams of fat and 140mg sodium.
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This morning my breakfast consisted of

1/3 cup Egg Whites
    1/4 cup Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage scrambles
    1/8 cup diced green peppers
    1/8 cup diced onions
    1 Slice Pepperidge Farms Whole Grain Oatmeal Bread
    1 tsp butter

It's 609 mg of sodium and a carefully balanced diet the rest of the day, you can easily stay under 2500/mg a day.
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I asked our workplace nurse/nutritionist about this the other day. I usually eat 3 servings of fruit a day, and I'm always over my sugars 10-20 points. She looked at my food diary and said don't worry about it, and don't change anything.

When I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes, I ate the exact same way. My blood sugar level was always perfect.

So as long as your sugars are coming from fruits, and not processed food or desserts, you're fine.

I would ditch the OJ, though, as I'm not a fan of drinking my calories. (Unless the drink includes vodka.)
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    why is the mantra a calorie is just a calorie the mantra..........unless it comes to protein? sugars also have hormonal effects that can be part of the equation, from my understanding it is not quite so simple as a cal is a cal.. If so then why track macros at all. I was diagnosed diabetic 3 yrs ago been to half dozen docs and nutritionists the ONLY thing they agree on is stay away from added sugars regardless of the diabetes its all so confusing with all the experts having differing views. I realize calorie in calorie out simplicity when it comes to lbs lost, but I think we are talking about health more than lbs.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Don't worry folks, the people who think sugar is fine just don't understand it's impact in insulin production and how critical that is to weight loss. And before I get an eyebrow expression, I'm talking about refined processed sugar and carbs that people eat, not understanding how it works inside the body. The reason most people go over on sugar, is because we eat way too much of it without paying attention. Then, when it goes over everyday, people come to the idiotic conclusion, that they'll just ignore it. Lol. Um, yeah, that's awesome. And, makes perfect sense. You should all seriously take advice from people that just say, "I just ignore it" lol. Wow. Really?

OK I'm going to post this link for the last time

Protein also spikes insulin.

"Carbohydrates get a bad rap because of their effect on insulin, but protein stimulates insulin secretion as well. In fact, it can be just as potent of a stimulus for insulin as carbohydrate"

why is the mantra a calorie is just a calorie the mantra..........unless it comes to protein? sugars also have hormonal effects that can be part of the equation, from my understanding it is not quite so simple as a cal is a cal.. If so then why track macros at all. I was diagnosed diabetic 3 yrs ago been to half dozen docs and nutritionists the ONLY thing they agree on is stay away from added sugars regardless of the diabetes its all so confusing with all the experts having differing views. I realize calorie in calorie out simplicity when it comes to lbs lost, but I think we are talking about health more than lbs.

actually that applies to protein as well - most people agree that the macros you need to track are carbs / protein / fat and as long as you have a good balance that works for you all is good. You will keep good health if you have a nice balance ie I do 40/30/30, I don't worry about sugar just try to stay in my carbs goal. Yes eating less sugar that comes from cookies etc is not a bad idea but it since once it's in your body it gets processed the same its not the be all and end all.

And I'm out because the rugby is starting and I need to pour myself a pint of cider - mmmm sugar lovely alcoholic sugar :drinker:
  • twentyco
    twentyco Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am always over my sugar also --- but I try, at least at this point, not to worry about it. I would especially not worry too much with yours, as it seems like most of yours came from fruit, which is a relatively healthy way to get it (as opposed to eating candy or sugared cereal). So far, ingesting more sugar than I should hasn't stalled things for me.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Just had breakfast and I'm already 11g over my recommended sugar intake and I'm halfway there on sodium. Now I admit, 2 slices of regular pork bacon wasn't a good choice, but thankfully, that's the last of the pack. I'll be getting turkey bacon today.

Breakfast:

- 6 oz of OJ
    - 2 slices of bacon
    - 4 egg whites
    - 1 pancake topped with a whole sliced banana, 25 blueberries, and a touch of honey

I know fruit contains sugar, but I thought I was doing well not to drown the pancake in syrup. I need some low sugar & low sodium options.

don't drink OJ. it's as bad as soda sugar-wise
  • bubbanene
    bubbanene Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I have been advised that the addition of protein to a meal slows BS spikes, I realize it all ends up the same but nothing wrong with a stable BS. I think Im gonna go with what the docs and nutritionists are telling me, for the first time in a long time it seems to be working (fingers crossed) and for the record I am old enough to remember when FAT in your diet was the evil, makes we wonder?
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Don't worry folks, the people who think sugar is fine just don't understand it's impact in insulin production and how critical that is to weight loss. And before I get an eyebrow expression, I'm talking about refined processed sugar and carbs that people eat, not understanding how it works inside the body. The reason most people go over on sugar, is because we eat way too much of it without paying attention. Then, when it goes over everyday, people come to the idiotic conclusion, that they'll just ignore it. Lol. Um, yeah, that's awesome. And, makes perfect sense. You should all seriously take advice from people that just say, "I just ignore it" lol. Wow. Really?

Assuming that you have no medical issues, you are under your calories, and that your calories are at a reasonable place to begin with, sugar will not make you fat.

I just ignore it. I've lost 17 lbs so far. But that's nothing. Several of my best friends here ignore it and have lost well over 100 lbs.

Yeah, definitely don't listen to them. People who have lost 100 lbs have no idea what's up. /sarcasm.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Your body turns carbs into sugar, very quickly.. I suspect that if your combined total of sugar and carbs is within your goal, your body won't know the difference if you count some of your sugar as carbs.

Your diet will be easier if you eat an orange rather than drinking OJ. If you're going to give something up, keep the blueberries! They're good for manly health.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Hmm . . . I'm so scared of spiking my insulin this is now what ALL my meals are going to look like.

1 table spoon of butter

1 tablespoon of olive oil

1 table spoon of pure goose fat

1 table spoon of vegetable oil.

I don't want to spike my big scary insulin.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

Assuming that you have no medical issues, you are under your calories, and that your calories are at a reasonable place to begin with, sugar will not make you fat.

I just ignore it. I've lost 17 lbs so far. But that's nothing. Several of my best friends here ignore it and have lost well over 100 lbs.

Yeah, definitely don't listen to them. People who have lost 100 lbs have no idea what's up. /sarcasm.

I didn't say it will make you fat. It will slow your progress.

You said people should not take advice from those who say to just ignore it.