It's nearly impossible!

Options

Replies

• blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I agree its near impossible to stay within the sugar limits here - so I don't worry if I go over/ However - I do try to keep sugar down as much as possible because vast quantities of sugar will make you fat faster than anything else can
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Skip the OJ and replace it with an orange and glass of water -- that would be my first step.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I agree its near impossible to stay within the sugar limits here - so I don't worry if I go over/ However - I do try to keep sugar down as much as possible because vast quantities of sugar will make you fat faster than anything else can

NO

Sugar =/= gettting fat

too many calories of anything = getting fat
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    For those confused about the sugar is bad issue please read this

http://www.weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Sugar is empty calories that will use up your calorie limit quicker than other more nutritious food choices you could have had - lie the oranges instead of the OJ, so - in effect - sugar increases your potential to increase weight.

In short - sugar makes you fat.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Just track your total carb intake. Unless of course there's a medical reason you need to track sugar.

But yes a glass of OJ, honey, pancakes, and fruit does contain quite a fair bit of sugar.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about sugar from fruit, since that would discourage me from eating them, but I do try to limit sugar intake from desserts. My diary makes this post ridiculously ironic, but considering what a sweet junkie I am, I'm doing good.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Sugar is empty calories that will use up your calorie limit quicker than other more nutritious food choices you could have had - lie the oranges instead of the OJ, so - in effect - sugar increases your potential to increase weight.

And again no :noway:

Excess calories make you fat.

5000 cals of sugar = weight gain
    5000 cals of broccoli = weight gain.

And no - I wouldn't want to try to eat either of these things.

Look up the twinkie diet - man ate only twinkies under his TDEE - lost weight.

Sugar is not the enemy.
  • wildaaron
    wildaaron Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Sugar well fructose get's turned into fatty acids which then turns to fat in the body - why do you think the recommendation is 2 serves of fruit a day - sure there's good benefits of the fiber and other nutrients, but too much fructose will make you fat. Also sugar ups your insulin levels in the body which makes your body store fat. Fructose makes the brain leptin resistant, which means that the brain doesn’t “see” all the stored fat in the body and thinks that it is starving. This causes a powerful leptin-induced biochemical drive to keep eating even when we don’t need to.

Sugar doesn't make us fat? You've got to be kidding. A calorie is not a calorie -
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    The current recommendation for a safe dietary limit for sodium is 1500mg/day. It seems like most processed foods including pancake mixes, breads and even tortillas have significant sodium added to them. I don't even want to think about everything else added to bacons, turkey, pork, tofu or otherwise besides sodium. If your only concern is weight loss then just count calories. The impact on your health is another story. Nobody likes to conclude that added sodium is harmful in the long run, but it is. You may not be having a problem with it.......yet, but over the years you will. Sugar from whole fruits is not something I worry about as long as I don't eat more than 4 - 5 fruits a day. Eating the whole piece gives you so much more than fiber - you also benefit from all of the phytonutrients that Mother Nature so neatly packed into one beautiful fruit. Just worth considering. Best of luck to you!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

If you're eating so much sugar that it makes you go over your calories then that will make you gain weight. But that's the extra calories, not the sugar itself.

That's why people are saying to just make sure carbs are in check. Personally I hit protein first and that usually means fat is on target as well. Whatever's left can be carbs. And I do eat a fair amount of sugar.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Have water instead of OJ - you miss out on the best parts of the orange and are just drinking the sugar water that's left. One glass of orange juice normally needs around 4 oranges to make, you wouldn't sit down and eat for oranges in one sitting on top of everything else -

At least when you eat the fruit you get the fiber and other nutrients that you miss out on when it's juiced.

PLUS sugar makes you fat -

Nope, it doesn't.

Excess calories make you fat.

Read this for a better understanding: www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html

Just because Gary Taubes said it, doesn't make it true.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Sugar well fructose get's turned into fatty acids which then turns to fat in the body - why do you think the recommendation is 2 serves of fruit a day - sure there's good benefits of the fiber and other nutrients, but too much fructose will make you fat. Also sugar ups your insulin levels in the body which makes your body store fat. Fructose makes the brain leptin resistant, which means that the brain doesn’t “see” all the stored fat in the body and thinks that it is starving. This causes a powerful leptin-induced biochemical drive to keep eating even when we don’t need to.

Sugar doesn't make us fat? You've got to be kidding. A calorie is not a calorie -

Please read this

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

you are talking rubbish.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Please stop vilifying sugar. It's delicious and I love it. We're best friends.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Please stop vilifying sugar. It's delicious and I love it. We're best friends.

Thank you!!
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    oh well, never mind.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Totally agree with the fresh OJ instead of bottled - it tastes so much better too, in fact I bought oranges this morning to juice later on :drinker:
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Skip the OJ and replace it with an orange and glass of water -- that would be my first step.

Another vote for this. The orange will give you fiber which helps you feel full longer, while the juice just gives you high blood sugar. (Which is the main reason to avoid sugar if you're trying to lose weight. High blood sugar tends to lead to very low blood sugar, which makes you feel hungry quickly.)
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Where I have concerned myself with sugar, it is the highly processed variety. I don't worry a ton about the naturally occurring sugars in fruits and such. I do try ti limit myself to 2 pieces of fruit a day but I get plenty of veggies, a yogurt, so I am getting lactose, frustose and such.