Anyone use a kitchen scale to weigh food before eating?

Options
1235»

Replies

• gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yes I do use a scale. I bought a very cheap $5 kitchen scale at Walmart. It weights up to 2 lbs and the cup is a measuring cup also. I have found it very helpful, because some things I was going over on, and some I was cheating myself by not eating a full serving of.
  • denise8986
    denise8986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    yep, I have a scale and weigh my food, I bought this online at walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Biggest-Loser-Digital-Food-Scale-6.6-lb.-Capacity/11090896
  • 2woof
    2woof Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Everything gets weighed and you soon get used to it. You may be shocked that at what you thought was a portion size is actually 50% too much. Someone mentioned cereal, a modern bowl is too big for a modern portion. Takes some getting used to when you look in your bowl and find it mostly empty.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just got one, but I really mainly use it for cooked meats. Most other things I do a volume measurement.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Everything gets weighed and you soon get used to it. You may be shocked that at what you thought was a portion size is actually 50% too much. Someone mentioned cereal, a modern bowl is too big for a modern portion. Takes some getting used to when you look in your bowl and find it mostly empty.

This ^^^^^^
  • I bought the cheapest scale 3$ not digital a simple dial scale.... I use it everyday and I love it! I use it for pasta, meats, baby carrots...
  • Shellbug75
    Shellbug75 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I measure everything. I am pretty good at "eyeballing" it now, but I still don't trust myself. I have to know exactly how much I'm eating.
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Yep cereal does this so I use the kids bowls. the kind with a pic of tinkerbell or some cartoon in them. They are smaller and full when you add the milk.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Costco has a Kamenstein scale for under $20, works pretty well, I think. It helps to give me an idea of what a portion of certain foods should look like...comes in handy for future guesstimating.
  • hannah_ryann
    hannah_ryann Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hi folks,

I've been thinking about getting a kitchen scale, to weigh my food before eating, so I have a better idea of how big some of my meal portions are, especially meats, to get an most accurate picture of how many calories I've consuming a day.

Do any of you use kitchen scales for weight loss purposes? And if so, what are some brands/models you've had good experiences with?

Feel free to "weigh in" with your answers! I'm looking forward to hearing your opinions!

OMG yes! It's been a game changer as far as my weight loss goes. My fiance got me a food scale for valentine's day.. I believe it was around 30 bucks at Walmart. It does grams, lbs and ounces, mL, fluid ounces, you name it.

It's a Taylor model 3847bl. I couldn't live without it now. I've gotten better about eyeballing things (I can scoop out hummus and guesstimate it's a serving) but I ALWAYS weigh my foods. Veggies, chicken, shrimp, hummus, oils, butter, milk, everything.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I use a digital postal scale I bought years ago for my eBay store. I like that it is big enough to put a dinner plate on, use the "tare" function to reset to 0 and load 'er up with my meal.

I also have a machinist's scale that is extremely accurate if you want precision in your measurements. The machinist's scale is small enough to fit into your pocket, but you may seem really weird weighing and measuring your food while out. :laugh:
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I got the AWS scale on amazon. Glass top, lots of colors and about $20. Works well so far. Had it for 2 years. I measure yogurt, dry ingredients, nuts..... basically everything besides spices and onions.
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I used the Biggest Loser food scale! It's amazing to see what ounces really look like ! Once you see that I guarantee you will save yourself some calories. Measure your condiments too! You will be glad you did. I got my food scale on sale at Target.
  • isitsororo
    isitsororo Posts: 116
    Options
    Would if I could, I'm in college. When I return home for spring break I'll probably use the scale there, can't wait!
  • laughsalot785
    laughsalot785 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi folks.

Thanks for ALL the phenomenal feedback. I'll definitely look through all your recommendations and see which one might be a good fit, based on my needs and budget.

Once again, thanks for all your help!