How to be comfortable with my butt when I run?

Options
124»

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Running tights with a long men's T-shirt is the way to go. I started running 10 months ago wearing my hiking gear as I was self conscious (combat pants etc) but quickly moved on to running tights. You actually feel slimmer in them and a good pair will help stop any wobbling (I have a couple of pairs of Adidas Response tights - suck everything in!). Women's T-shirts are too short, so just buy a man's one for now - long enough to cover your butt without pulling it down.

Good news is that in 10 months not once have I been shouted at in the street while running - most people actually give me a big smile. Those that don't look vaguely embarrassed, possibly because they know they should be out getting fit too!

And after 10 months of running my jiggly bits are less jiggly so I have a couple of cycling tops for running in (I'm less embarrassed about people seeing my butt and the tops have handy pockets for my key, asthma inhaler, ipod etc).

I also find the buzz I get from running outweighs any embarrassment.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Wear neoprene shorts.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    AmelieMustLoseWeight Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! I had a very good run tonight and I felt so much more comfortable. I ended up buying a longer loose shirt and wore this danskin bodysuit thing over my tights so I felt more secured. I normally don't care what people have to say but keeping yourself going is hard enough with people throwing you weird looks.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! I had a very good run tonight and I felt so much more comfortable. I ended up buying a longer loose shirt and wore this danskin bodysuit thing over my tights so I felt more secured. I normally don't care what people have to say but keeping yourself going is hard enough with people throwing you weird looks.

Good luck, Amelie. Hope you didn't think I was being overly negative. I hate it when I voice a reasonable fear or report a negative experience and EVERYONE suggests that all I need to do is be chipper.
  • dyemichelle
    Options
    What does everyone mean by compression gear? I just started jogging and I seriously have a very large butt and I dont care how I look while doing but it is very uncomfortable when my butt bounces so much .

Any advice will help.

Thanks
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compression_sportswear

compression gear is worn mainly for performance benefits than looks, especially for those of us who are still overweight and end up looking like the michelin man when we're kitted up in compression gear :laugh:
  • TheYoungys
    TheYoungys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for many years and the few times I've taken time off and begun to feel that "drag" at the back when I start running again I handily tie a thin long sleeve running top around my waist. Not only does it hide my rear from the rare prying eye but it also keeps my tail warm on cold Scottish mornings. Just a thought. :-)