What the WHAT?!

Options

Replies

• MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    We all eat fruit, that wasn't my point. I dont even care anymore and I dont know why I said anything at all. There are enough misinformed people on MFP spewing buttloads of totally inaccurate information that this could potentially happen in almost every thread I make the mistake of reading.

For those mocking me, grow up ladies (little girls??). I was trying to point out something VERY wrong with a certain post on this thread. But that's fine, it's funny to you so I hope I somehow made your day.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add a link about the AHA updating its recommendation

The American Heart Association basically recommends 24 to 36 grams:

http://www.examiner.com/x-6753-Philadelphia-Nutrition-Examiner~y2009m8d25-American-Heart-Association-issues-new-sugar-guidelines

That guideline is for added sugars, not naturally occuring sugars.
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    At first I was really sad to see the discussion get out of hand. I have been on MFP for over two weeks and have seen nothing but encouragement and positivity, so it crushed me to see people "fighting". Matty, when you apologized and explained yourself, that was really heartening. Kudos to you, and thanks for doing that. I was afraid my MFP was going downhill, but you were big about it and brought it back :)
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options
    We all eat fruit, that wasn't my point. I dont even care anymore and I dont know why I said anything at all. There are enough misinformed people on MFP spewing buttloads of totally inaccurate information that this could potentially happen in almost every thread I make the mistake of reading.

For those mocking me, grow up ladies (little girls??). I was trying to point out something VERY wrong with a certain post on this thread. But that's fine, it's funny to you so I hope I somehow made your day.

Well, then. Now we're all acting like a bunch of idiots.

No, sugar should not be ignored. But, as many people have stated, you shouldn't be beating yourself up for eating an apple. It's an apple. It's not like she stuffed her face with a brownie and was complaining about being over her sugar for the day. She ate an apple. With peanut butter.

Now, as I agree that this forum is a breeding ground for misinformation, it also has a lot of good information as well. Your tone and condescending attitude were overly harsh, and thus you got a response back. Man up, and deal with it. Correct a misstatement or add your two cents. No reason to go into full-on battle mode over a damned apple.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    At first I was really sad to see the discussion get out of hand. I have been on MFP for over two weeks and have seen nothing but encouragement and positivity, so it crushed me to see people "fighting". Matty, when you apologized and explained yourself, that was really heartening. Kudos to you, and thanks for doing that. I was afraid my MFP was going downhill, but you were big about it and brought it back :)

I'll warn you - there will be plenty of discussions that get out of hand. It's difficult because most people on MFP feel like they've finally found something that works and they're passionate about it. Many of us have researched our points of view, talked to nutritionists, doctors, etc... what we all fail to remember is those PROFESSIONALS don't even agree on many of the things that we discuss on these boards... so we're not all going to come to a general concensus. Ya know?

All of us (especially those who have been around awhile) want to make sure that we're providing people with the best information possible and Matty was ABSOLUTELY right - there is a LOT of bad information on these threads. Information that is stated so simply that it is seems like fact.

The best advice that I got when I started on MFP was to not worry about so many "rights" and "wrongs" - make small improvements and as you gain knowledge, make your own decision. When I started, I couldn't worry about sodium, fat and sugar levels... I had to concentrate on eating a certain number of calories. Then I started looking at my water intake. Then I looked at my sodium levels. Then my fiber... I DID try to track my sugar at one time - but like I said earlier, I came to the conclusion for MYSELF, that right now I won't worry about it - I know that almost all my sugars come from fruits and veggies and for me it's a trade-off - I'm doing better now than I was a year ago... and that has to be good.

If you see a thread that gets out of hand - don't get discouraged with MFP. We're all human, we're all excited about what we're doing and we're all just trying to help someone else... and we're never going to all agree 100%.
  • MattySparky
    Options

Well, then. Now we're all acting like a bunch of idiots.

No, sugar should not be ignored. But, as many people have stated, you shouldn't be beating yourself up for eating an apple. It's an apple. It's not like she stuffed her face with a brownie and was complaining about being over her sugar for the day. She ate an apple. With peanut butter.

Now, as I agree that this forum is a breeding ground for misinformation, it also has a lot of good information as well. Your tone and condescending attitude were overly harsh, and thus you got a response back. Man up, and deal with it. Correct a misstatement or add your two cents. No reason to go into full-on battle mode over a damned apple.

If you're refering to my post you obviously didn't read what I was getting at. No one is beating themselves up about an apple. My problem was with someone giving false information. It happens all the time and sometimes I allow myself to get sucked into trying to explain things to misinformed people. I manned up and admitted that it got out of hand and it was mainly my fault. Im not going to apologize for the point I was trying to make though. Its very hard to tell what tone someone is taking when reading a post. Again there was no full on battle mode about an apple. Since we're all about giving each other advice now, I think you should read and clearly understand what the heck it is you're talking about before you go and tell someone to man up and deal with it. You clearly dont understand what the disagreement was about. It was never about an apple. Go ahead and read over the thread again if you need to.
  • kathymurphy
    Options
    touchy little topic.
  • xecila
    xecila Posts: 99
    Options
    If you're refering to my post you obviously didn't read what I was getting at. No one is beating themselves up about an apple. My problem was with someone giving false information. It happens all the time and sometimes I allow myself to get sucked into trying to explain things to misinformed people. I manned up and admitted that it got out of hand and it was mainly my fault. Im not going to apologize for the point I was trying to make though. Its very hard to tell what tone someone is taking when reading a post. Again there was no full on battle mode about an apple. Since we're all about giving each other advice now, I think you should read and clearly understand what the heck it is you're talking about before you go and tell someone to man up and deal with it. You clearly dont understand what the disagreement was about. It was never about an apple. Go ahead and read over the thread again if you need to.

I did read the thread, thank you. And really what the topic of this thread was meant to be, was her going over her sugar because she ate one apple with peanut butter. I'm not a moron. I understand what the arguement was about. I also understand what the topic of the thread was meant to be, and I see how far off track it has gone. I think you need to learn, as everyone does, to take what others say with a grain of salt. You took something out of context and blew it up and insinuated that other people have no idea what they're talking about.

Here's my opinion, and I'll state it as simply that. I'm not a doctor, a fitness trainer, or a dietician. I'm a fat chick who's using the (mostly) nice people on this forum to help motivate me to get healthy. From what I've learned since I was a kid (and mostly ignored) fruit is good for you, and (although it's much debated) milk is too. Eric was trying to comfort Mary in the fact that she ate an apple, and that's not so bad. You came in, pulled his words out of context, and continued to carry on as if he said "OH ****, SUGAR DON'T MATTER, EAT TEN APPLES!" Which is simply not what was said.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    ok, point taken.:embarassed:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I agree that Matty may have come off a bit Harsh, but I agree with her. And she appologized.... Thanks Matty :flowerforyou:

The other gentleman posted his opinion, which I agree with also. :flowerforyou:

I think it depends on what your goals are. Those of us not training for a competition aren't going to "stress" about an apple because it would have been a Donut not too long ago :embarassed: :laugh: Those that are in training/ have a Passion for fitness, will be more strict and rightfully so.

Yeah, it helps when we use those cute "emotioncons". Sometime they make, what may seem like a rude comment, so much softer :flowerforyou: :laugh:

Have a great day MFPers!
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Im male actually LOL.... but thanks!:smokin:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Opps... Sorry Matty... I thought the picture in the Ticker was you :embarassed: :laugh:

I :heart: :heart: :heart: Your doggy.. I have a Red Pit named Ruby :love: Is it a Pit?
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Yep that's my late boy Taurus! he was the best dog I've ever owned.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    For some of us who've been around awhile, this is one of the lighter debates on sugar. LOL

But I agree with BarneyS, if you're worried about sugar choose berries
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    sugar is tasty, that's all i'm saying. :)
  • MattySparky
    Options
    For some of us who've been around awhile, this is one of the lighter debates on sugar. LOL

But I agree with BarneyS, if you're worried about sugar choose berries

see Im not the only one who gets excited!!!
  • MattySparky
    Options
    slow browser = double post oops
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I'm having an apple and a tablespoon of peanut butter, and I'm already over my sugar for the day!

Ridiculous.

This is my favorite: apple slices and melted peanut butter. *But everyone already knows that* :blushing:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Wow....

I think there are nice ways to provide your opinion and not so nice ways.

We keep trying to teach that. To no avail.
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think MFP is a little too focused on numbers, which I guess is the only way it can be.

I kind of agree with both sides of this debate ie. all sugar contributes to your daily sugar count and the nutritional quality of the food should be considered.

As a dietitian, I have never and will never encourage people to 'count' sugar. We might ask a type 1 diabetic to count carbohydrates, but not sugar alone. The types of messages we try to give instead are to be guided by the types of products you buy ie. less than 10g sugar per 100g food. Now of course, some of your foods don't have this information on them... and that is actually why we use these messages ;) Unfortunately when you come to somewhere like MFP and start seeing numbers from fruit etc people get very confused.

I guess I'm more of a fan of a qualitative approach than quantitative. Ie using something like (excuse my bias) the Australian Guide to Healthy Eating... 2-3 serves low fat dairy, 2 serves fruit, 5 serves veg, 1-2serves meat/rotein alternatives. Now the breads and cereals is 6-11 serves per day and that would be the area we would encourage people to cut down (but not out) to lose weight. Oh and of course 'extra' foods we also encourage cutting down on.

My point is, think about what you are eating. If you control your portions and don't eat a lot of packaged foods then I wouldn't worry too much about counting anything other than calories.