MFP not helping or showing support, just being rude!

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• wmoomoo
    wmoomoo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Most people are helpful on the forum but when they try to help the new member, they get attack because the answer is not what the new member wants to hear. And it turns into something rude from both side.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Most people are helpful on the forum but when they try to help the new member, they get attack because the answer is not what the new member wants to hear. And it turns into something rude from both side.

True....but some are rude from the start.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    BTW.....what and where are the "stickies" ?

f.e on this section of message boards thread :http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition is stickied. Fact it's stickied is signified by the little pin mark next to it . They are usualy on top of the page and well worth the read, more often than not they will anwser, or link you towards the anwser for your question :D

EDIT:
    This thread is faster than light oO

OMG, why do you have to be so rude, all she did was ask a simple question and you had to make her feel stupid and be a bully!! If you didn't have anything nice to say, why did you even respond?**

**Tatiayanya, this is some very good helpful advice you posted and was given in a polite manner to help the questioner. But I'm playing devils advocate here in my response and feel the need to post this disclaimer for those that may not get what I did! I am in no way serious by posting this response, but this is the exact sort of thing we see daily from people that complain about rudeness on MFP.

I didn't find her rude at all.

But I do see the smartassedness starting again. Why is it even necessary? Bored at home? To much time on your hands? Working out not giving you the self confidence you need so you troll the forums for a pump me up?

:drinker:

To hell with you people. You have succeeded in scaring off several newbies today for fear they will be bashed by arrogant a##holes!

*gentle soothing hugs*
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    To hell with you people. You have succeeded in scaring off several newbies today for fear they will be bashed by arrogant a##holes!

Again with the name calling.

(Why *are* people on MFP so rude?)
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

When the pain of being overweight and out of shape is greater than the fear of being "bashed by (anonymous) arrogant a##sholes" and know-it-all old-timers, you may actually have a chance at changing your life for the better.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options

f.e on this section of message boards thread :http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition is stickied. Fact it's stickied is signified by the little pin mark next to it . They are usualy on top of the page and well worth the read, more often than not they will anwser, or link you towards the anwser for your question :D

EDIT:
    This thread is faster than light oO

OMG, why do you have to be so rude, all she did was ask a simple question and you had to make her feel stupid and be a bully!! If you didn't have anything nice to say, why did you even respond?**

**Tatiayanya, this is some very good helpful advice you posted and was given in a polite manner to help the questioner. But I'm playing devils advocate here in my response and feel the need to post this disclaimer for those that may not get what I did! I am in no way serious by posting this response, but this is the exact sort of thing we see daily from people that complain about rudeness on MFP.

I didn't find her rude at all.

But I do see the smartassedness starting again. Why is it even necessary? Bored at home? To much time on your hands? Working out not giving you the self confidence you need so you troll the forums for a pump me up?

:drinker:

Did you not read my disclaimer? Actually, you may have just proved my point! Thanks!
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    Okay - but you don't have to read it again.

If you've read a similar post a hundred times before, just don't read it again.

And if it irks you so much because you've wasted your time reading the same post again, why waste even more of your time by commenting on it?

We were all new once. We were all just starting out. We all asked dumb questions, or we lurked and waited for someone else to ask them for us.

As I am teaching my 4 year olds - be kind. Treat others how you would like to be treated. And stupid is a bad word.

Oh, and don't eat yellow snow. Or stick jellybeans up your nose.

Valuable lessons in here, people... lol
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Stickies are at the top of each subforum and have what looks like a pin next to them. In this forum, there's a thread for newbies and an FAQ. Lots of people miss them, but they are extremely helpful and clear up a lot of questions that are asked repeatedly.

ETA: Wow, way late to the game, whoops.
  • lgoewey36
    lgoewey36 Posts: 19
    Options
    Ya I see some posts out there that are totally not related to fitness. Or people being rude if you ask questions. Both are unnecessary. Half of the forums I see are not even fitness related. If the more experienced folks on this site are tired of us asking questions they can ignore the posts. I read all the back ground and related material but no one has hours to spend on the internet reading every comment/post or article. That is why I joined a support group. That and like many on here I can not afford a group like weight watchers or to join a gym. If I could I would. But I can not. So I am sorry if I ask too many questions.
    I know I lost weight before and struggling this time with the first few months. Therefore, I may ask questions more. It is different this time around I am older and have a kid. I get up at 4:00 am to work out.. Ouchie. But I do it. Some folks on here seem to think they are fitness experts after a month. It gets old. I am not going to lie and say oh ill never have whatever again.. but I do keep within my calorie limits and do plan days if I am going to go over. Let's all remember the reason we are on here to change old habits as much as possible but if we do not allow ourselves a slip or two we will go back to our old ways big time. Id rather have a cheat day or two a month then cheat every day.
    I would say experienced people would have more time to deal with newbies if less post on things totally unrelated to weight loss or fitness.
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    so when someone is beating a dead horse we can't say that....

what is this nazi germany?

15 pages to get the first mention of Nazi Germany? You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options

so when someone is beating a dead horse we can't say that....

what is this nazi germany?

It does rather sound like Hitler's rules. :wink:
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I agree but I think you CAN find support here so it shouldn't be an issue.

People who post rude responses are sometimes just a symptom because the OP didn't take the time to read the stickied threads or do a search and see the million other threads about the exact same topic.

Some posters get upset when people respond honestly and logically instead of patting them on the back and telling them what they want to hear. Posts about unhealthy habits and ones that just don't make sense at all.

It gets a little ridiculous all around here and rude responses are only the half of it.
  • tuxedord2
    tuxedord2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ahhhh...human nature...
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Ya I see some posts out there that are totally not related to fitness. Or people being rude if you ask questions. Both are unnecessary. Half of the forums I see are not even fitness related. If the more experienced folks on this site are tired of us asking questions they can ignore the posts. I read all the back ground and related material but no one has hours to spend on the internet reading every comment/post or article. That is why I joined a support group. That and like many on here I can not afford a group like weight watchers or to join a gym. If I could I would. But I can not. So I am sorry if I ask too many questions.
    I know I lost weight before and struggling this time with the first few months. Therefore, I may ask questions more. It is different this time around I am older and have a kid. I get up at 4:00 am to work out.. Ouchie. But I do it. Some folks on here seem to think they are fitness experts after a month. It gets old. I am not going to lie and say oh ill never have whatever again.. but I do keep within my calorie limits and do plan days if I am going to go over. Let's all remember the reason we are on here to change old habits as much as possible but if we do not allow ourselves a slip or two we will go back to our old ways big time. Id rather have a cheat day or two a month then cheat every day.
    I would say experienced people would have more time to deal with newbies if less post on things totally unrelated to weight loss or fitness.

definition of pal: a close friend.

how many close friends do you have where you stick to only one topic of discussion.
    for all time.

Part of this "journey" involves relationships. For support, for motivation, and for fun.
    It's ok to have fun and be fit.
    It's ok to be happy and healthy...
    It's ok to post nonsense in the chit-chat section...
  • mlrodgers381
    mlrodgers381 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides to this, and understand. But (just a thought) if the so-called "old-timers" are "sick of the same old questions" showing up. Instead of being snippy about the "newbie" asking the question. Why don't they just refer them to "said" threads everyone keeps talking about that the newbies should check out. The thing about being a newbie, is that you might not always know where to look. Sometimes, even when you know where to look, you might not see the particular thread. Remember (EVERY ONE OF YOU) were newbies at one time yourselves.
  • tuxedord2
    tuxedord2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    ahhhh...human nature...:smile:
  • Missellaneous02
    Missellaneous02 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sure I've seen rude people (like the entire post where someone was bullied for TYPN DA QSTN LKE DS)
    I've also seen people get offended for no reason, when someone was just trying to give advice.
    But these posts will get you no where OP
    Nobody is going to change their behavior because someone posted a rant on the internet about mean people
    If anything you just asking for them to be rude directly to you
    Just ignore certain people
    I'm here to log calories and get in shape, you probably are too
    Just focus on yourself and ignore all the BS

Also I'm not trying to be rude............
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    Hey Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread. The original poster has received a significant amount of feedback and the conversations can continue via personal messaging or within a group. When the community does not allow for objective responses, the topic will become as a whole, divisive. When polarization of this kind happens topics will almost always be locked.

Thank you for your understanding and help in keeping MFP a supportive and friendly community.

Respectfully,
    Olivia
    MFP Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.