MORBIDLY OBESED, SCARED, LOOKING FOR SUPPORT

Options
123457»

Replies

• MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I was your size 2 years ago. Ive lost over 50 pounds since then. First of all you have to start cooking for yourself. It takes time and you dont have to do it all in one fail swoop. I only discovered this site in the last year or so. Start by cooking simple things and moving to more complicated things as time goes. Soups are pretty easy. I use www.allrecipies.com to get ideas Start walking a little bit each day. Try to go farther and farther each week. Take it one step at a time. Not every day will be a success but the past is the past and each day is another day.

Yes!
    allrecipes.com
    yummly.com (has like 20 search engines)
    skinnytaste.com
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I was once 270 pounds. I was in a size 2x and wore a 28 in jeans. I hated it and was so miserable. I am now 164. I made it down to 139 and i still wasnt thin.i got depressed and started eating again. I then got back to 164. I am now attempting to finish my weight loss journey. I agree with the fast food part.its so addicting. I always want cookies,ice cream and overall fast food but i always tell myself no food will taste as good as it will feel to be thin..

"... no food will taste as good as it will feel to be thin"......I love that!
  • brian198989
    Options
    Welcome, we are all here to help. We have all been in the same position o lay we are further along in our journey to fitness and health. I will give you all the support I can and hand down to you what many people have given to me. Post a pic so that in 4 months we can see the change that will have begun!
  • RoseRyanUpdegroveKing
    Options
    I was 278.. and needed support too... I am here for you when you need someone to talk too. If you want add me.:flowerforyou:
  • shellsbells82
    Options
    Great job with starting out! I've been at this since September, and I've lost 38 pounds. My profile doesn't give me credit for all of it because I didn't record that I gained when I feel back into bad habits. Some things that have worked for me are giving up processed foods. Processed foods are addictive, and once you start cooking for yourself, you'll have fewer cravings. I also allow myself twice a week to have the things that I really love. I wouldn't cheat with the fast food though, just because of how bad it is for you. You need to start out slow. You can't go all in and expect to succeed. You should slowly decrease your calories over time. As far as exercising, start out slow and don't overdue it. If you overdue it, you'll be too sore to keep going. It doesn't matter if you start out just walking five minutes a day. It's five minutes more than you were doing before and it does make a difference. I initially only lasted about 15 minutes on the elliptical machine at the gym, and now I do 40 plus a lot of different strength exercises that I thought I'd never do. Don't let failures keep you from trying. You're going to have days that you don't do well. The important thing is to pick back up with being healthy with the next day or even the next meal. I also started taking saffron extract from GNC. I had read some good things about it, and tried it. It seems to help to keep me from overeating most of the time. Those are my tips. Also no matter what keep in mind that no matter how stupid you may think you look working out, you already look better than the people sitting on the couch.
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No worries, a year from now you'll look back and be amazed out how far you've come! Keep your goals small and remember your fitness is your responsibilty and it doesnt happen by accident. You will have to work hard but it will be worth it! Good luck and welcome to the club!
  • Eat2Win
    Eat2Win Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for taking the biggest step! Making the decision to change and on My Fitness Pal, it's bound to work!! The successes
    are all over this wonderful place to learn, count and meet others for support on all issues of food, nutrition, exercise and just moving
    forward. As you can see here, all these new friends are right there to support you and help you thru!!

Becoming what we become before we realize we need to change didn't happen overnight nor did it happen in a week or a month.....so in order to make changes to see major results will also take time.
    In the beginning, the first change you can see is your choices. Read and research on Google everything and anything to find what
    you need to know. Google is wonderful to teach us things to move forward. I have learned all my nutrition and cooking to improve
    myself and family over the years from Google. I also don't use just one information site, but two or three and then I make the choice.

The first choices you make in you food selections are already a change..........Being here and making up your mind is the first
    change!!

Add me if you like and if you have any questions about foods or whatever, I would gladly help you with your needs or dilemma on selections if I can :)

Rosemary
  • amberstevens7906
    amberstevens7906 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    anyone have any good diet food suggestions that dont include seafood or veggies?i know salmon and veggiea are healthy but they make me barf at the taste.anyone and all can add me for my suggestions or support :)
  • ISHANTI80
    Options
    THATS SOOO SWEET. THANKS A BUNCH !
  • ISHANTI80
    Options
    MAM NOT TO BOTHER U BUT I BOUGHT THIS GREEK YOGURT AND SUM SPECIAL K SNACKS I THOUGHT WHERE HEALTY. THEY HAVE HIGH SUGARS DO U HAVE ANY TIPS FOR ME A DIABETIC??
  • ocalane
    ocalane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    anyone have any good diet food suggestions that dont include seafood or veggies?i know salmon and veggies are healthy but they make me barf at the taste.anyone and all can add me for my suggestions or support :)

Try juicing. I know it sounds weird but throw in some veggies that you somewhat like (carrots perhaps?), some that dont have much taste (for me celery tastes like nothing, neither does fresh spinach or kale) and throw in some fruit that you like (like apples or grapes.) You'll taste the sweetness of the fruit while getting the nutrients of the veggies. You need to be careful though, cuz if you eat too much fruit it will mess with your sugar levels. You're supposed to keep it around 80% veggies and 20% fruit. I bought a really cheap juicer cuz I didnt want to waste money in case I didnt like it and ended up loving it. Apparently, you can get near the same effect by using a blender and squeezing out the juice from the puree.
    Hope that was somewhat helpful ^_^
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I was 334 and still a fast food junkie. I never understood what eating clean is. I guess you scrub the food with soap before you eat it ? Just follow the basics. Do some cardio walking 30-40 minutes a day the weather is getting nice. Set your goals to 1lb a week and follow the fat/carbs/protein ratios. Worry about hitting around -/+ 100 calories of your daily calories + exercise calories. Weight yourself 1 time a week Fridays are good and do it first thing in the morning before you eat.

Follow that and you're on the way, best of luck.
  • jsd_135
    jsd_135 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Try eating mashed sweet potatoes, and lightly fry some squash up in olive oil,...and eat fish for protein.......
    Sweet potatoes are filling, healthy, and satisfy a sweet tooth that many people have...as for the squash, its like 15 calories per cup so you can really eat as much as you want without guilt...also fiber intake is crucial for weight loss as well as water intake...sugar and sodium are diet killers.

Hope this helps :)

Agree about the sweet potatoes. I bake mine and then eat them plain. It feels like eating dessert. I usually bake a few of them and eat them over a few days (reheating in the microwave).

Another suggestion: If you can, get a digital food scale. I measure everything I eat (in grams). I feel my diary entries are pretty accurate because of this.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    MAM NOT TO BOTHER U BUT I BOUGHT THIS GREEK YOGURT AND SUM SPECIAL K SNACKS I THOUGHT WHERE HEALTY. THEY HAVE HIGH SUGARS DO U HAVE ANY TIPS FOR ME A DIABETIC??

As a diabetic you will need to avoid anything that advertises itself as lower calorie/lower fat. Because they have to substitute it for sugar when they remove the fat almost every time. Try finding tasty things you can dip celery into, such as natural peanut butter.
  • hellokittyykat
    hellokittyykat Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Starting is the most important part.
    I understand that it is hard.
    I live with my boyfriend... and he likes eating out.. A LOT.
    In the beginning I had gained over 45 lbs because we were constantly eating out or picking food up.
    I decided that I need to change. I now cook my own meals everyday and he'll eat what I make or just pick himself up mcdonalds.
    (i'm hoping in the end that I will inspire him)

There is so many tasty options.
    I eat chocolate, pancakes, pasta, and so many yummy foods. It's all about moderation. Instead of reeces pieces, I eat skinny cow chocolates. Pasta, I eat either whole grain or miracle noodles. I eat red meat sometimes... but turkey and chicken have way less calories. I'd rather eat foods that have low calories so I get to eat more. It's easy to stay under your calorie goal. Look up divaslimsdown on youtube. She herself started over 340 lbs... You can do it. Stay positive and remember why you're in this. Imagine how beautiful and happy you'll feel in the end.

It'll take time.. but it'l be worth it.... :heart:
    I know it's hard! There's temptations everyday. Just realize what you're putting in your body. you'll get use to calorie counting in no time.

kat