Yes, you can. (Quick Start Guide to fat loss)

Options
14567810»

Replies

• DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I done this ages ago, figured I'd bump it for people looking for something basic to read.

I should do this at the start of each year :D Again, if it helps one person it was worth bumping :)
  • Kres567
    Kres567 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I done this ages ago, figured I'd bump it for people looking for something basic to read.

I should do this at the start of each year :D Again, if it helps one person it was worth bumping :)

Hi Darrel,

The info you shared about TDEE was so helpful. The one question I have is why does my fitness pal have my calories so low? I calculated my TDEE at 2600 based on:
    Female
    5'10"
    217lbs
    3-5 times exercise. This is typically just cardio. I don't do weights at this point.

If I want to lose a pound a week I believe I should consume 2000-2100 calories per day correct? My fitness pal has me at 1300. I can't seem to move a pound on the scale. Could this be a contributing factor? I am also thinking I need to better understand my macronutrients. I think that will be important for me. Any further comments or advice is appreciated.

Thanks again Darrel

Jen
  • Kres567
    Options
    Okay I had another look and decided to follow your strategy BMR*1.2. I believe this would give me a TDEE of 2024 or 2000 to be simple. If I want to lose 1lb a week I should aim for 1500 calories per day correct?

Can you tell me what I do then on days I work out? I should eat additional calories?

Also when I enter the 1500 calories manually into my fitness pal my daily diary is now 1410 instead of 1500 calories. Do you know why it dropped 90 calories?

One final question - I have been contemplating the Premium package for my fitness pal. is that what you have? Would you recommend it?
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    Kres567 wrote: »

Hi Darrel,

The info you shared about TDEE was so helpful. The one question I have is why does my fitness pal have my calories so low? I calculated my TDEE at 2600 based on:
    Female
    5'10"
    217lbs
    3-5 times exercise. This is typically just cardio. I don't do weights at this point.

If I want to lose a pound a week I believe I should consume 2000-2100 calories per day correct? My fitness pal has me at 1300. I can't seem to move a pound on the scale. Could this be a contributing factor? I am also thinking I need to better understand my macronutrients. I think that will be important for me. Any further comments or advice is appreciated.

Thanks again Darrel

Jen

Using http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

It shows 2075 based on zero activity. Or, 2680 as 3-5.

Ignoring MFP for a moment. I'd usually suggest eating at 0.7-0.8 times your TDEE. So using the 3-5 figure would be 1900 (ish) per day. That would be 1900, everyday, assuming you workout 3-5 days per week and each session is a good solid workout.

Personally, I prefer a slightly different method (carb cycling). So, I would take your base 2075 (based on an inactive day) and times by 0.75. 2075 * 0.75 is 1550. So I would eat 1550 on rest days, and add on your calories burned on exercise days.

Looking back then at MFP, if it is suggesting 1300, I agree that seems very low and I'd be checking if the info entered for you is correct. MFP is usually pretty good at its numbers (usually, not always!).

Eating too little can have a negative effect as well. But you should lose weight on on it, but Id not recommend that little. Id be feeling too tired and lethargic and my workouts would suffer.

The other thing to check is your logging. Just to ensure you are logging every single thing you eat and drink and also that you weigh foods to ensure they are correct. Its so east to under estimate and end up shooting over.
  • DarrelBirkett
    Options
    Kres567 wrote: »
    Okay I had another look and decided to follow your strategy BMR*1.2. I believe this would give me a TDEE of 2024 or 2000 to be simple. If I want to lose 1lb a week I should aim for 1500 calories per day correct?

Can you tell me what I do then on days I work out? I should eat additional calories?

Also when I enter the 1500 calories manually into my fitness pal my daily diary is now 1410 instead of 1500 calories. Do you know why it dropped 90 calories?

One final question - I have been contemplating the Premium package for my fitness pal. is that what you have? Would you recommend it?

Hi,

Yes I agree with your calcs :) So a 2000 TDEE eating 1500 per day is 75% or a 25% drop. Thats fine. On days you work out, yes! eat your calories burned back. So 1500 on rest days, 1500+ workout calories on those days.

As for MFP, not sure why its changed your figure, sometimes when you tweak your stats or goals it resets (irritating) but you can just go back and change it again.

Im not premium either, been year a few years now and never considered it.
  • Kres567
    Options
    Thanks for the quick reply. I've read so many posts about logging everything. I think I have underestimated the little things like milk in my tea, etc. I've started this morning fresh and excited. One day at a time. Thanks so much. Your post was so valuable.

Have a great day!

Jen
  • Kres567
    Options
    Hi Darrel,

You had helped me so much earlier this year so I thought I would reach out again. It's been a few months with a few pounds down since I really started paying attention to my TDEE and macros. But the weight loss is so slow.I've basically stayed the same for weeks.

I've increased my activity - doing Orange Theory Fitness a couple of times a week and still running a couple of times a week. I'm working out around 4 times per week. I rarely eat all my calories back. I know you had mentioned eating calories back but I'm just trying everything at this point.

I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind having a look at my food diary and see if something sticks out for you? Am I eating too little or too much? I'm 5'10" and 211 lbs, 42 years old. If you wouldn't mind I'll send you a friend request so you can see my diary.