Yes, you can. (Quick Start Guide to fat loss)

Options

Replies

• kge0891
    kge0891 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • L_amore
    L_amore Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Great information. :smile:
  • thebigj25
    Options
    bump
  • scarrie2
    scarrie2 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    great post! I am impressed!
  • gregwhitley
    gregwhitley Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Nice post. The only issue I see potentially is that you mention eating 1g of protein per lb of body weight. I believe that should be 1g per lb of lean body mass, i.e. weight - fat. Otherwise, I don't see any way I could eat 30% of my diet as protein and be in a decent deficit eating 225g of protein a day :)

At any rate, I am not following MFP "guidelines" for dieting, so no biggie to me. I just thought I would try to help out anyone who is doing the math and finding that it doesn't add up for them.
  • frogsnflowers79
    Options
    Bump for later! Thanks!!
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Silly_Sara
    Silly_Sara Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is a great breakdown! Thanks!
  • brittmrsbean
    Options
    Bump
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Bump. Great Thread!!!
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Nice post. The only issue I see potentially is that you mention eating 1g of protein per lb of body weight. I believe that should be 1g per lb of lean body mass, i.e. weight - fat. Otherwise, I don't see any way I could eat 30% of my diet as protein and be in a decent deficit eating 225g of protein a day :)

At any rate, I am not following MFP "guidelines" for dieting, so no biggie to me. I just thought I would try to help out anyone who is doing the math and finding that it doesn't add up for them.

Yeah a fair point. For regular people 1g / lean bodymass lb is a good starting point. for someone bulking I've read 1-1.5g / lean lb. So I think 1g / lb is ok. Or, a 40/40/20 split.

I worked my own macros backwards. Im 185lb so aimed to eat 185g protein per day. On rest days I eat 1800 cals. That means 740 cals come from protein. Thats about 41% which I round down to 40%.
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this! It is full of great answers and packed with important info and links. I hope I will be able to keep finding it! It was a lot to take in and I will need to reread. I think one of the most important things, once you figure out how much you can or need to eat to lose some weight is the part where you say you have to actually stick to the plan, count every bite and nibble, and accept that if the weight isn't moving there are probably uncharted or hidden calories someplace. Food can be so complicated. I am now weighing, measuring and counting like crazy. I feel a little OCD but this seems to be a phase where if I want the weight loss to get going again it is what must be done until I retrain myself to eat a whole lot less every. single. meal. and every. single. day. Again, thanks for great and positive and helpful info.
  • DarrelBirkett
    DarrelBirkett Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    No problem, Ive actually copied it in to my blog on here, sorted it a bit better and added a couple of other sections now. I'll add more stuff to it later.
  • sss1966
    sss1966 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Great job, I understand it all a bit better now, well done
  • ShutterBugMomof2
    Options
    Great read! Thanks for taking the time to do this!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
    I think I broke my body. haha. If I eat 2k calories or more a day while working out 6 day a week, sometimes double workouts a day while burning around 1000 -1300 HRM calories a day I either don't lose weight or I lose very little. These last few weeks I have been burning a little less because I was pretty sick though.
    A while ago I did eat more calories BUT I had to exercise more and that seemed to work well for me. The thing is, I work out so much now. I feel its just creating more of an issue rather than figuring out a balance.

Side note: I did just find out I have a gluten allergy so I think that's keeping the weight on. I have done a ton of research on it and just as much as people lose weight because of ceIiac they can also gain it too or have a hard time losing because of it. I tend to lose weight fairly easy then Ill eat something I am not suppose to and the weight comes on 2-3 fold. Maybe that's my issue too...I have lots to think about.

It is possible not to eat enough. If you are working that hard I would take a step back and calculate from the start. What is your daily TDEE including all of the exercise you do. Then how much exactly are you eating on those days?

Allergies can have an impact as well. Im far from an expert but believe that allergies can cause stress to the body which reacts by releasing cortisol (hormone) and that impacts fat loss.

Sorry it took so long, its been a crazy few days!
    My TDEE is 2963 and honesly the thought of eating that scares the crap out of me. Last time I checked my BMR was 1718 and that's what I'm using for my diary...haha. Most of the time I eat like 1700-2100 because I have such a big deficit anyhow
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thank you sooo much! I refigured my cals based on this information and calculated that I was eating around 1500-2000 calories too much per week. I have posted that my weight hasn't changed much for about 2 months and most were saying that I'm probably underestimating my food intake. I accurately weigh and measure so I knew that wasn't it....now I know why!! Thanks again! I'm excited to see what happens over the next month!
  • moniquedeanne
    moniquedeanne Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    One point you may want to mention for all the women out there....because it can really mess with our psyche.....certain "times of the month" can really make things go out of whack. A sudden 5 lb "gain" is quite common. It can freak a girl out but they should know its temporary. Just sayin' :smile:
  • cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    One quick question...I use a HRM when I exercise. Should I adjust the calories burned by some percent (I have heard 15-20%) to account for normal BMR calories burned?