10 people you can't trust for diet advice

Options
13»

Replies

• Mischieviousme777
    Mischieviousme777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    "As hard as I tried, I could not come up with a way to describe someone who can be trusted for diet advice."

Well, that certainly leaves us in a bad position. Might as well just consult a Ouija board.

Ouija board? Bah!! That's way too unpredictable! When I need diet advice, I consult my trusty magic 8-ball.
    "Should I eat the fried chicken?" *shakeshakeshake* Answer unclear, try asking later.
    Well played, 8-ball. :drinker:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Everything with a grain of salt

But only a grain. Or twenty. That gunk's bad for you....9 out of 10 cardiologists will agree.
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
  • lotushead
    lotushead Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Nice post. I appreciated it.

If I stereotype (and I shall here), of the groups/entities on that list, elite athletes would far and away be the most reliable group of those 10. As a general rule, part of their athletic success is based on exceptional intuition that can't be taught; you just need the right lineage.

Agreeable. But athletes endorse products too. I think the gist of what her point is on the athlete example is intended for people who hear about someone like Michael Phelps, whom has been rumored to eat 12,000 calories per day and swim 80,000 meters, and automatically assume that if they swim a few laps, they should be able to eat that whole footlong they love at Subway (which he endorses by the way). Little stuff like that. :)

Right: the whole purported 12,000 calorie thing. If the recreational swimmer is that dopey, all the advice in the world won't help them. Thanks again, lotus: I was amused.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/05/michael-phelps-12000-calorie-diet-just-a-myth/1#.UT6g16KsJjU

hence, my usage of "rumored"
    ps- it's not impossible to eat 12,000 calories. I really wish I could find the forum post in here of the guy who wrote a success story after eating his last 15,000 calorie day. Darn ****ty search function!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSlIrjxnDo

lol, gross.
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Doctors in general, not just cardiologists. My doctor told me that I should limit my carbohydrate intake to 15g per meal which is completely insane according to my nutritionist who is also a registered dietitian and certified diabetes instructor.

Perfect example. Doctors are busy people! Nutrition isn't their area of expertise. Surely there are RD's that are MD's and MD's that are RD's (and even more qualified people). These are probably the ones we can and SHOULD trust when it comes to nutrition.

Another example: My mother survived cancer after chemo-therapy and completely changing her diet. Her doctor never pointed to nutrition. Who's to say what deserves more credit.

Everything with a grain of salt.

Only one grain, have to keep it below 1500mg a day
  • chessgeekdavidb
    chessgeekdavidb Posts: 208 Member
    Options

hence, my usage of "rumored"
    ps- it's not impossible to eat 12,000 calories. I really wish I could find the forum post in here of the guy who wrote a success story after eating his last 15,000 calorie day. Darn ****ty search function!

Um, I may or may not know from first hand experience that it is possible but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Only one...people who post on the forums. :laugh:

Yeah MFP posters (if not MFP all together) should have just been number one on that list ;P

That's funny, I can think of a whole list of people who I would definitely take diet advice from.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Chris Farley came to my mind.

Well, he's dead, so if he's hanging out giving advice he's going to make BILLIONS. Even if the advice sucks.