Diet Fads!!

Options

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Any sustainable diet that includes good nutrition.

QFT!!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the one where I can eat anything I want and as long as I'm in a calorie deficit, I lose weight. You know, sort of the default MFP setup. Pizza, McDonalds, ice cream and cookies seem to be working well for me.

Highly recommend

and this is what's dangerous about MFP and IIFYM, because you left out the part where you should still be meeting your macro and micro nutritional goals with whole foods, and the junk should only be a small % of your overall intake.

pkLAzAQ.gif

I didn't leave out that part. That part doesn't exist. You'll find that if you eat the things you like and fall within your calorie guidelines, most of your macros and micros will be taken care of. And anything that isn't only requires a minute adjustment. I guess if we built a straw man that ate nothing but candy bars we'd have a problem, but no one does IIFYM that way.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the one where I can eat anything I want and as long as I'm in a calorie deficit, I lose weight. You know, sort of the default MFP setup. Pizza, McDonalds, ice cream and cookies seem to be working well for me.

Highly recommend

and this is what's dangerous about MFP and IIFYM, because you left out the part where you should still be meeting your macro and micro nutritional goals with whole foods, and the junk should only be a small % of your overall intake.

pkLAzAQ.gif

I didn't leave out that part. That part doesn't exist. You'll find that if you eat the things you like and fall within your calorie guidelines, most of your macros and micros will be taken care of. And anything that isn't only requires a minute adjustment. I guess if we built a straw man that ate nothing but candy bars we'd have a problem, but no one does IIFYM that way.

i guess you and sarauk don't agree on IIFYM then...... she told me that the majority of IIFYM is eating nutritious whole foods
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Highly recommend

pkLAzAQ.gif

i guess you and sarauk don't agree on IIFYM then...... she told me that the majority of IIFYM is eating nutritious whole foods

Sara adheres to a vegetarian diet on lower calories. i believe she may have to pay more attention to her dietary choices than DavPul does and that's why she may have given a slightly different answer to you. of course, she can answer for herself when she sees this thread. my TDEE varies from 2700-3600 depending on exercise. although i am losing weight, that gives me enough room to eat anything i want and my macros do pretty much take care of themselves. if anything, i probably only need to tweak protein upwards. i can still eat at a deficit this way. so long as i get enough fat and protein, i'm fine.

if you weren't so obsessed with labeling foods as either "healthy" or "unhealthy", you might actually see the wisdom in what DavPul said.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Highly recommend

pkLAzAQ.gif

Sara adheres to a vegetarian diet on lower calories. i believe she may have to pay more attention to her dietary choices than DavPul does and that's why she may have given a slightly different answer to you. of course, she can answer for herself when she sees this thread. my TDEE varies from 2700-3600 depending on exercise. although i am losing weight, that gives me enough room to eat anything i want and my macros do pretty much take care of themselves. if anything, i probably only need to tweak protein upwards. i can still eat at a deficit this way. so long as i get enough fat and protein, i'm fine.

if you weren't so obsessed with labeling foods as either "healthy" or "unhealthy", you might actually see the wisdom in what DavPul said.

and if you would open your mind a bit, you'd realize that there are some foods that have less nutritional benefit than others. It's ok to eat them in moderation, but that doesn't change that they're not as healthy a choice. That's not always a bad thing, but it's reality.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Highly recommend

pkLAzAQ.gif

and if you would open your mind a bit, you'd realize that there are some foods that have less nutritional benefit than others. It's ok to eat them in moderation, but that doesn't change that they're not as healthy a choice. That's not always a bad thing, but it's reality.

it's your hangup on the idea that "healthy" actually has any sort of actual meaning that i find annoying. it's one of those words that means whatever the user wants it to mean.

i think clean eating is unhealthy. both mentally and physically. can you convince me otherwise?

do you see the problem? my definitions may not be your definitions and neither of us may have the same definition as a 3rd person. so the use of these nebulous terms derails all of your arguments because neither you or the other person start at a point of common reference. so instead of insisting on the inherent obviousness of what you perceive to be correct, why not start someplace where both people agree and then proceed from there.

is pop tarts and ice cream a nutritious diet all by itself? no, probably not. can pop tarts and ice cream be a part of a nutritious diet? yes, absolutely. but are pop tarts and ice cream unhealthy? to me, no. because i see food as a collection of their parts. so long as all of the parts of all of the foods you eat add up to be what you need to live a long and healthy life, i see nothing wrong with any food. are there foods that have been contaminated with poisonous substances? sure, that's possible. eggs contaminated with salmonella are unhealthy because they can make you sick. but are some foods unhealthy just because some nutter on some clean-eating website has decided that one of their components is bad for you and the FDA is in cahoots with big business to feed it to you anyway? well, that's where i'll leave you to wear your tinfoil hat all by yourself.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Highly recommend

pkLAzAQ.gif

it's your hangup on the idea that "healthy" actually has any sort of actual meaning that i find annoying. it's one of those words that means whatever the user wants it to mean.

i think clean eating is unhealthy. both mentally and physically. can you convince me otherwise?

do you see the problem? my definitions may not be your definitions and neither of us may have the same definition as a 3rd person. so the use of these nebulous terms derails all of your arguments because neither you or the other person start at a point of common reference. so instead of insisting on the inherent obviousness of what you perceive to be correct, why not start someplace where both people agree and then proceed from there.

is pop tarts and ice cream a nutritious diet all by itself? no, probably not. can pop tarts and ice cream be a part of a nutritious diet? yes, absolutely. but are pop tarts and ice cream unhealthy? to me, no. because i see food as a collection of their parts. so long as all of the parts of all of the foods you eat add up to be what you need to live a long and healthy life, i see nothing wrong with any food. are there foods that have been contaminated with poisonous substances? sure, that's possible. eggs contaminated with salmonella are unhealthy because they can make you sick. but are some foods unhealthy just because some nutter on some clean-eating website has decided that one of their components is bad for you and the FDA is in cahoots with big business to feed it to you anyway? well, that's where i'll leave you to wear your tinfoil hat all by yourself.

we disagree on a couple points, but not the majority of what you said.

1) clean eating doesn't HAVE to be unhealthy mentally or physically, as the things that make one person happy may not be the same things that make you happy. per your own argument you should agree with that.

2) you look at food as a collection of their parts, or as a whole diet - i look at foods as individual parts, and I'll give you a metaphor to explain why.

In sports, or in finance or what have you, tiny, almost unnoticeable changes can reap huge benefits over time correct? an extra couple swings in the batting cage, an extra penny put in a savings account can - over time - make a HUGE difference. It's called the "compound effect". I BELIEVE (not fact, opinion) that the compound effect also works with food, and I think that minor tweaks in a diet can have significant effects over a lifetime, even if they don't make a difference today, tomorrow, next week or next year.

is that any less valid of an opinion than yours? I don't think so... and it doesn't make me orthorexic to feel that way. I don't think about food all the time and my life doesn't revolve around food, and i don't freak out when I eat something bad (like my chicken and waffles yesterday). But the MORE OFTEN I eat well, the more likely I am to be healthier, avoid disease, and live longer. No it's not an exact science, but if we're playing the odds, I'd rather play them this way.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The Mediterranean Diet.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    bump because I'm interested in sarauk's input...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Highly recommend

pkLAzAQ.gif

Don't misquote me
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Also, why? As if you value my input anyway - seems like you are just trying to start and argument...as usual.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Highly recommend

pkLAzAQ.gif

Don't misquote me

really? that's exactly what you told me. getting your nutrition from whole foods ideally and then filling out the rest with whatever you want as long as it fits your macros. do you want me to go search for the quote? what thread was it in?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Also, why? As if you value my input anyway - seems like you are just trying to start and argument...as usual.

no really i'm not. i'm tying to put what you told me yesterday into context with what davpul said - that's it. no ulterior motive i promise.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Highly recommend

pkLAzAQ.gif

Don't misquote me

really? that's exactly what you told me. getting your nutrition from whole foods ideally and then filling out the rest with whatever you want as long as it fits your macros. do you want me to go search for the quote? what thread was it in?

Majority of people or majority of food?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

no really i'm not. i'm tying to put what you told me yesterday into context with what davpul said - that's it. no ulterior motive i promise.

DavPul is one person...not exactly a representative sample. I am not even sure has even said he applied the same definitions.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Actually Coach - you seem to forget as usual, you are not the OP. This is her thread so please do not derail it. You want to have a discussion, either PM me or start your own thread. It has already been dominated enough by your personal agenda.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    In sports, or in finance or what have you, tiny, almost unnoticeable changes can reap huge benefits over time correct? an extra couple swings in the batting cage, an extra penny put in a savings account can - over time - make a HUGE difference. It's called the "compound effect". I BELIEVE (not fact, opinion) that the compound effect also works with food, and I think that minor tweaks in a diet can have significant effects over a lifetime, even if they don't make a difference today, tomorrow, next week or next year.

I will disagree with you on this one. If you are consistently in a calorie deficit while meeting macros and micros and that is filled with 10-15% nutritious foods, then the pop tarts, ice cream, cheesecake, etc. is not going to have some compounding effect on your health long term.

ETA: Now to respond to the OP. Log your food, stay at a deficit if weight loss is you goal, eat 10-20% nutritious foods and fill in the remainder with foods you love. You may hear that certain eating plans work well for some folks. That's fine. Not too many of them have been eating like that for 10, 15, 20, 25 years. Mostly been 2-5 years tops. Just make sure whatever you choose is something you enjoy and can continue doing.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I will disagree with you on this one. If you are consistently in a calorie deficit while meeting macros and micros and that is filled with 10-15% nutritious foods, then the pop tarts, ice cream, cheesecake, etc. is not going to have some compounding effect on your health long term.

ETA: Now to respond to the OP. Log your food, stay at a deficit if weight loss is you goal, eat 10-20% nutritious foods and fill in the remainder with foods you love. You may hear that certain eating plans work well for some folks. That's fine. Not too many of them have been eating like that for 10, 15, 20, 25 years. Mostly been 2-5 years tops. Just make sure whatever you choose is something you enjoy and can continue doing.

so why does an extra 1 or 2% in every other area of life outside of nutrition make a significant difference when compounded over time?

(also why would you be at a deficit long-term?)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    so why does an extra 1 or 2% in every other area of life outside of nutrition make a significant difference when compounded over time?

Didn't we beat this to compounding theory of yours to death in some thread like a month ago?

First of all, it would be cumulative, not compounding. If you were to take a small dose of cyanide every week for several weeks, it wouldn't compound into more and more cyanide in your body. It would accumulate. And actually that's not true either. Your body is so damn clever that it will actually flush out the "toxins". If the dose is low enough, it doesn't even accumulate; it diminishes.

But one thing, with certainty, that does not happen, is it does not compound.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Didn't we beat this to compounding theory of yours to death in some thread like a month ago?

First of all, it would be cumulative, not compounding. If you were to take a small dose of cyanide, it doesn't compound into more and more cyanide in your body. It accumulates. And actually that's not true either. Your body is so damn clever that it will actually flush out the "toxins", so that if the dose is low enough, it doesn't even accumulate; it diminishes.

But if your body has to work even a little harder than normal to flush out hose toxins, and it has to work a little harder on a daily basis than someone who didnt ingest the toxins, you dont think that extra work would add up over a lifetime?