Diet Fads!!

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The best one is the one that YOU can stick with for life.

Something different works for everyone. Find the lifestyle you can stick with and rock on with it.
    THIS

Find what works for you. And only time will tell. Everyone here is an expert at losing weight. Some will be successful at keeping it off. The more honestly you assess your situation, the better your chances.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    so why does an extra 1 or 2% in every other area of life outside of nutrition make a significant difference when compounded over time?

Didn't we beat this to compounding theory of yours to death in some thread like a month ago?

First of all, it would be cumulative, not compounding. If you were to take a small dose of cyanide, it doesn't compound into more and more cyanide in your body. It accumulates. And actually that's not true either. Your body is so damn clever that it will actually flush out the "toxins", so that if the dose is low enough, it doesn't even accumulate; it diminishes.

But if your body has to work even a little harder than normal to flush out hose toxins, and it has to work a little harder on a daily basis than someone who didnt ingest the toxins, you dont think that extra work would add up over a lifetime?

Extra work would add up how? Maybe it would make me stronger and more resilient, just like when I break down my muscles by working out and letting my body heal them.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    so why does an extra 1 or 2% in every other area of life outside of nutrition make a significant difference when compounded over time?

Didn't we beat this to compounding theory of yours to death in some thread like a month ago?

First of all, it would be cumulative, not compounding. If you were to take a small dose of cyanide, it doesn't compound into more and more cyanide in your body. It accumulates. And actually that's not true either. Your body is so damn clever that it will actually flush out the "toxins", so that if the dose is low enough, it doesn't even accumulate; it diminishes.

But if your body has to work even a little harder than normal to flush out hose toxins, and it has to work a little harder on a daily basis than someone who didnt ingest the toxins, you dont think that extra work would add up over a lifetime?

Extra work would add up how? Maybe it would make me stronger and more resilient, just like when I break down my muscles by working out and letting my body heal them.

Your body working harder to digest equals higher nutritional stress, and over time it adds up. Thats my view. More stress means lower immune function which equals more disease. Simple.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    The best diet is the Moderation diet.

Eat whatever you like, but eat it in moderation. It's kind of awesome and seems to work, at least for me.
  • taso42
    Options

Your body working harder to digest equals higher nutritional stress, and over time it adds up. Thats my view. More stress means lower immune function which equals more disease. Simple.

By that same logic I shouldn't bother to do heavy lifting because it puts stress on my CNS, bones, muscles, respiratory system, and cardiovascular system. Yet over time it makes me stronger and stronger.

I'm not really suggesting that eating poptarts will have some cumulative effect on strengthening my body. But I amsuggestting that the stress on the body caused by eating "junk food", even doing so every single day, in the absence of any nutritional deficiencies, is minuscule and negligible. In the whole scheme of things it's lower on the worry list than, say, driving in stop and go traffic.

And on that note, I'm off to stress myself out big time with some heavy *kitten* deadlifts. :drinker:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

By that same logic I shouldn't bother to do heavy lifting because it puts stress on my CNS, bones, muscles, respiratory system, and cardiovascular system. Yet over time it makes me stronger and stronger.

I'm not really suggesting that eating poptarts will have some cumulative effect on strengthening my body. But I amsuggestting that the stress on the body caused by eating "junk food", even doing so every single day, in the absence of any nutritional deficiencies, is minuscule and negligible. In the whole scheme of things it's lower on the worry list than, say, driving in stop and go traffic.

And on that note, I'm off to stress myself out big time with some heavy *kitten* deadlifts. :drinker:

Organs arent muscles and dont respond to stress in anywhere NEAR the same way - or do you think they do?
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    OP- I can speak for what works for me. I do well with moderation. I try to keep my sodium and sugar in check due to health reasons. I pretty much eat what I want to. Yesterday, I had pop tarts with Nutella on top. GAWD it was yummy! I only do that once in a while.
  • NaBroski
    NaBroski Posts: 206
    Options
    Organs arent muscles and dont respond to stress in anywhere NEAR the same way - or do you think they do?

Do you actually read the posts you respond to?
    ]I'm not really suggesting that eating poptarts will have some cumulative effect on strengthening my body.

Looks like you missed the point

But I amsuggestting that the stress on the body caused by eating "junk food", even doing so every single day, in the absence of any nutritional deficiencies, is minuscule and negligible.

The point
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I'm not really suggesting that eating poptarts will have some cumulative effect on strengthening my body.[/b]

But I amsuggestting that the stress on the body caused by eating "junk food", even doing so every single day, in the absence of any nutritional deficiencies, is minuscule and negligible.

The point

And why is that opinion more valid than mine? It's backed up with the same amount of proof. None. I just feel mine's more logical based on comparative real life scenarios where compound interest is proven to exist. (Or cumulative, if taso likes that better, though I'll still stand by compound)
  • taso42
    Options
    Do you understand the meaning of compound interest? Just checking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compound_interest
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Any sustainable diet that includes good nutrition.

^^ What he said.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I absolutely do. Aren't you supposed to be lifting?
  • taso42
    Options

That's curious.

Yep, I'm between sets. :wink:
  • CoachReddy
    Options

That's curious.

Yep, I'm between sets. :wink:

Haha nice. I do the same thing.
  • NaBroski
    Options

I'm not really suggesting that eating poptarts will have some cumulative effect on strengthening my body.[/b]

The point

And why is that opinion more valid than mine?

Perhaps because mine is based on an understanding of human physiology, rather than poor analogies.
    It's backed up with the same amount of proof. None. I just feel mine's more logical based on comparative real life scenarios where compound interest is proven to exist. (Or cumulative, if taso likes that better, though I'll still stand by compound)

Your body is not a bank. Very few contaminants have a cumulative effect (in small doses), except for heavy metals -- and even those are eliminated as long as the dose is within the normal tolerances of our system (ie mercury, iron, etc.)

If you're so worried about the cumulative effect of "toxins", then why don't you preach against eating fish?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The point

Perhaps because mine is based on an understanding of human physiology, rather than poor analogies.
    It's backed up with the same amount of proof. None. I just feel mine's more logical based on comparative real life scenarios where compound interest is proven to exist. (Or cumulative, if taso likes that better, though I'll still stand by compound)

Your body is not a bank. Very few contaminants have a cumulative effect (in small doses), except for heavy metals -- and even those are eliminated as long as the dose is within the normal tolerances of our system (ie mercury, iron, etc.)

If you're so worried about the cumulative effect of "toxins", then why don't you preach against eating fish?

I actually dont eat fish more than once or twice a week max for that very reason.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The point

Your body is not a bank. Very few contaminants have a cumulative effect (in small doses) except for heavy metals -- and even those are eliminated as long as the dose is within the normal tolerances of our system (ie mercury, iron, etc.)

Oh, and can you prove that?
  • NaBroski
    Options

The point

Your body is not a bank. Very few contaminants have a cumulative effect (in small doses) except for heavy metals -- and even those are eliminated as long as the dose is within the normal tolerances of our system (ie mercury, iron, etc.)

How about you offer a single shred of evidence for a cumulative effect on the body for ANY dietary substance (apart from heavy metals)

Or are you just shifting the goalposts, as usual?
  • CoachReddy
    Options

The point

I don't have to. I said it was an opinion, not fact. You stated your position as fact, thus I asked you to prove it.

How about you offer a single shred of evidence for a cumulative effect on the body for ANY dietary substance (apart from heavy metals)

You keep using this phrase... I do not think it means what you think it means...

I don't have to prove it. I said it was an opinion, not fact. I said I had no proof. You stated your position as fact, thus I asked you to prove it.

Show of that keen understanding of human physiology for me.
  • NaBroski
    Options

The point

I don't have to. I said it was an opinion, not fact. You stated your position as fact, thus I asked you to prove it.

You keep using this phrase... I do not think it means what you think it means...

I don't have to prove it. I said it was an opinion, not fact. I said I had no proof. You stated your position as fact, thus I asked you to prove it.

Show of that keen understanding of human physiology for me.

Liver? Kidneys?

Ever heard of these things?

What do you think they do?