whats the beef on well...beef...

Options

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I avoid it because I'm vegetarian and I believe eating another animal is wrong.

I do know people that avoid because they don't like or think it's not healthy, which is dumb because "lean" chicken still has a lot of fat in it.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I crave it every day. I try not to indulge and limit to a couple times a week. I love meat it just doesn't really love me.

I LOVE your profile picture!!! :drinker:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I avoid it because I'm vegetarian and I believe eating another animal is wrong.

Fair enough, as I said earlier, personal preference si one thing. I totally respect your views while I may not agree.
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I eat beef and enjoy it - but nothing compares to the Aussie equivalent - Lamb - my fav meat and eat about two-three times a week! My life without meat sounds incredible depressing... so I'm a pro meat-fan!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Beef is good but having it every day will most likely give you too much iron which can cause long term health issues.

Not gonna happen because beef isn't a "high iron" food. You'd be more likely to have this problem eating a bowl of Cocoa Puffs every morning. The whole beef and iron thing is a common misconception.

I have to watch the calories now that I am cutting but 93/7 ground beef and sirloin are lean, lower calorie options in which I partake quite regularly, probably 3 or 4 times a week. Love the stuff, and if I didn't also like chicken and pork and fish, I'd probably eat it more often.

beef not being a high iron food? Lean ground beef will give you 3.5 mg iron in 3 oz. and I think the key is that it's heme iron.
    We absorb approximately 15-35% of the heme iron we eat where iron from Cocoa Puffs is 12.6 mg in 3 oz. is non-heme iron and is only absorbed from 2-20% more likely 2% than 20% and the calcium in milk interferes with non-heme iron absorption.

So that would be .525-1.225 mg to .252-2.52 mg more likely .525 mg to .252 mg or less from milk interference in just 3 oz .
  • theshow4jsu
    theshow4jsu Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I love beef, and I would eat the grass fed variety, its healthier. It contains Omega 3s. Has a better taste to it, the only place near me that sells it is Whole Foods and they only let me in the door during tax return time and they know I have money.

I like rare sirloins. In fact I like my meat so rare, I eat unicorn meat.
  • pumpkinspice84
    pumpkinspice84 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I love beef! We have steaks or ground beef everyother week.
  • hap2010
    hap2010 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I enjoy beef once or twice a week. I should say that I try to stick to natural grass fed beef (and I know it is cause my kids raise it) I prefer not to purchase from grocery stores so I know that nothing chemical has been added. I am a believer in everything in moderation.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I eat a giant JUICY Medium Ribeye steak once a week.
    Beef meatballs EVERY Sunday.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    how could a rib eye or a file mignon with a great glass of red wine ever be gross?????

It could be overcooked. I like my meat so rare I only eat unicorns.

LOL I think they are on the endangered species list..

but I hear if you eat unicorns and THEN do a detox that you will drop 10% body fat in three days...

10% is too much for me. Is it possible to do a 1/2 detox?
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I'm only down with petit filets or some skirt/flank steaks served out of the side of a school bus that's been converted into a Mexican fast-food joint. I usually only want red meat once a month. I don't seem to have what it takes to digest it. But I don't tell other people not to eat it because I don't.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    No Beef for this lady.. I dont like what they do to the animals and when they process the meat.
    I would eat organic grass fed but i cant afford that. I try my best to eat all Organic and Hormone free meat.
    that limits me to Chicken! and i buy kosher ground turkey.. the more and more i think about it it makes me not want to eat meat at all.. but at the moment it doesnt fit into my lifestyle.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    grassfed, pasture-raised = good

hormone injected, feedlot raised = less good

and not just an ethical thing. the level of omega-6's (the bad ones if you have too many) are through the roof on feedlot cattle. it's anywhere from 10:1 to 20:1 (i've seen different figures) of Omega 6s to 3s, and in grassfed beef the ratio is about 2:1 omega 6's to 3's.

This is why regular beef can lead to disease. However, grassfed beef is as good, if not better for you, than fish.
  • cuppycakesmeg
    Options
    I have low B-12 due to health conditions. I have to eat red meat for energy and getting that nutrient level up in my system.

And I LOVE it!
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Red meat is excellent and anyone who says otherwise is a dirty damn liar.......
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Seeing a lot of posts about "I avoid red meat" and bla bla bla....

Just curious if you are avoiding it, why? I eat some form of steak at least once a week...its high in protein and pretty reasonable on calorie and fat intake..

so what the hell is the beef?

I generally avoid it for medical reasons, but I just can't ever give up beef. I have haemochromatosis, and my little mutation causes me to absorb about 5x more iron from food than most people. Fortunately, the tannins in red wine can reduce the amount of iron absorbed by about 80%. Now I don;t think a whole bottle is necessary, but better safe than sorry ...
  • spetermann190
    spetermann190 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Meat and Potatoes .... FTW! When I die I wanna resemble the quote about "sliding sideways into the grave, all worn out, screaming **** yeah at top of my lungs" ... there is little I enjoy more then a great hunk of well marbled meat ... medium rare ... with all the trimmings :)

To each his own .... but I not going to stress living just a little longer ... miserably ;)
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I eat beef almost daily. I buy it when it's on sale, portion it into 6-8 ounce steaks in ziplock bags and freeze it. It's my favorite protein. Nom Nom Nom. Oh and i'm pretty healthy.

^^^^THIS exactly.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I find I feel a lot better when I eat it regularly, maybe I'm anemic or something. Mostly lean ground beef but also the occasional roast or steak. Om nom nom.
  • workinprogress1533
    Options
    how could a rib eye or a file mignon with a great glass of red wine ever be gross?????

YES!!!