Spaghetti squash= shredded yuck

Options
ThunderButt11
ThunderButt11 Posts: 33 Member
I tried. I couldn't get past the texture. My husband covered it in marinara and hot sauce and ate it while I cooked pasta. Can anyone give me a recipe that makes this a palatable food?

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I like it...so probably cant really help. Just don't expect it to be pasta...it isn't. Its a tasty thing of its own. We like it with a light Alfredo sauce and grilled chicken.
  • salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am working on incorporating it into my diet as well. Tonight I had spaghetti squash, prego mushroom pasta sauce, ricotta chz, parm. chz, portabella mushrooms and onions. I had a rotisserie chicken that I cut up one of the breast and I sauteed all of that together with fresh garlic. I think the chunks of meat and veggies helped with the texture for me. This is the only thing I've tried with it so far and I love it! Best of luck!
  • GiseleT88
    GiseleT88 Posts: 17
    Options
    I can't for the life of me get squash to taste good! I tried different recipes but they all tasted yuck!
  • lauradiet0829
    Options
    I love it with pesto and parm cheese add lots of herbs and try with turkey meatballs
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    The only thing I could recommend is for you to cook it longer. My experience has been that as long as it's soft, I can easily pretend it's real pasta! And this is coming from someone who adores authentic Italian cuisine. Also getting a really great tasting sauce is essential, because the squash in and of itself doesn't taste much.

Hope that helps!
  • mwbulechek
    mwbulechek Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    1 whole spaghetti squash, slice lengthwise.. Place squash in trash container and eat food you like.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I mix it with regular pasta to bulk up the serving size. I also toss it with olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese and oregano.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    yeah. I can't stand it either.
  • SlimStacey74
    SlimStacey74 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe I actually just tried a week ago, was leary about the whole spaghetti squash thing also, but it was really good!!

http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/properly-prepared-spaghetti-squash-162765
  • Boringdoug
    Boringdoug Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Your husband sounds like a very attractive, intelligent and all around wonderful man.
  • skinnybunny_x
    Options
    Honestly, even IF spaghetti squash tasted bad ... the calories you save is SO worth it! I wish everyone here bashing poor Mr Squash would realize that! :P
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    Your husband sounds like a very attractive, intelligent and all around wonderful man.

Hmm.... Are you maybe her husband???

I like it, but its not a favorite of mine. but if YOU dont like it, dont eat it! :)
  • WeightWatcherCindy
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash ! It is a marvel ! I always top it with pasta sauce and either turkey meatballs or turkey Italian sausage .
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I can only eat it if it's not cooked to death. I cook it it to al dente, just like pasta, and add some good quality olive oil and salt...it definitely takes care of a pasta craving.
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can't confuse it with pasta -- they are two different things. I did try it with pasta sauce, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. And I have mixed it in as an extender for pasta. My husband liked it with pasta, margarine, and Parmesan. However, I like it best as a squash side dish, with just butter and grated nutmeg on top.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I can eat it as a side with some garlic, olive oil, and parm. But agreed its disgusting as "spaghetti".
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm not crazy about it either, and I'm a squash lover. The flavor's fine, but it's just like a pile of shredded mush.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I just ate a large bowl of it, carbonara style, for lunch.
    I'm in NZ & it's VERY hard to get - I am so jealous that you guys seem to have an endless supply in the USA. If I lived over there I'd be eating it every single day!