Spaghetti squash= shredded yuck

Options

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I have not tried this recipe yet but it sounds delicious. It's spaghetti squash au gratin.

http://dandydishes.blogspot.com/2011/10/spaghetti-squash-au-gratin.html#.UUKp7Yy9KSM

I have tried this recipe and it is really good. I did add about a half a box of whole wheat angel hair to the recipe to soak up some of the water from the squash. My husband ate it and didn't even realize it was squash. He had two helpings. I also used Canadian bacon instead of pepperoni and my own marinara.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818787-spaghetti-squash-pizza-bake-amazing
  • ThunderButt11
    ThunderButt11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I made it I cooked the squash in the microwave due to time restraints. Does it actually turn out differently if baked in the oven?
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I have only cooked mine in the oven. I put in whole with a little water on the bottom of the pan. Cook at 350 for 30 minutes then turn over and cook another 30 minutes. I hate trying to cut a raw squash so that's why I do it this way. The squash is soft and easy to cut after it is cooked.
  • TurtleD55
    TurtleD55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

This was the first recipe I tried with spaghetti squash and I enjoyed it. Food texture is not a big deal with me, and I actually find it very tasty no matter how I've made it since then.....but to each, his own.
  • alsoagood1
    alsoagood1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I make the squash in the microwave not in the oven - the oven makes it too mushy for me. I eat the squash with marinara and a turkey pattie or without meat. I love it and buy 2 squash at a time.
  • Shabas87
    Shabas87 Posts: 69
    Options
    I made this yesterday and I love it. Did you season the squash at all? I added salt and a little butter to it. along with ground turkey and marinara sauce.
  • Shabas87
    Shabas87 Posts: 69
    Options
    I made this yesterday and I love it. Did you season the squash at all? I added salt and a little light butter to it. along with ground turkey and marinara sauce.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I mix it with regular pasta to bulk up the serving size.

That's the way to do it!
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Like the other users said, don't confuse this as a pasta substitute. It may have "spaghetti" in the name, but it won't full fill your expectations if you are expecting a pasta taste/texture. However, it can taste delicious! After mine has been nuked/baked/boiled (whatever your preferred method), then I pan fry it with a touch of oil to reduce the moisture out of it. Then, when it is about 1/3 to 1/2 reduced in volume, you add your sauce. The strands then absorb the sauce and will increase in volume again (atleast in my experience). It's great!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I tried. I couldn't get past the texture. My husband covered it in marinara and hot sauce and ate it while I cooked pasta. Can anyone give me a recipe that makes this a palatable food?

Try it cold as a salad base. Cook it just until it is soft enough to shred (don't over cook!). Shred and cool, toss with chopped veggies and beans (optional) and dress with your favorite vinaigrette dressing. I much prefer it this way to hot with a sauce.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat quinoa pasta. It is nearly exactly like real spaghetti and tastes good. I can't tell the difference. Quinoa is healthy.

What makes quinoa pasta more heatlhy than regular pasta?
  • srpm
    srpm Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The only thing I could recommend is for you to cook it longer. My experience has been that as long as it's soft, I can easily pretend it's real pasta! And this is coming from someone who adores authentic Italian cuisine. Also getting a really great tasting sauce is essential, because the squash in and of itself doesn't taste much.

Hope that helps!
    I'm the opposite, I don't like the texture as much when it is too soft but it is hard to find the balance between it being cooked enough to pull apart into strands and it being too soft for my taste. I do like it either way just like it better when it is closer to al dente pasta consistency.
  • dahkneeka
    dahkneeka Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Garlic and Parm. =)
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I make this Spagetti squash pie that comes out really good.

Roast and scrape out the Spagetti squash- about 45 minutes so it is aldente

Grease two pie pans and load them with the squash. Mix an egg in each and some Parmensean cheese until it has a thick consistency.

I then a layer of cottage cheese (sometimes pineapple- a accident that was surprisingly good) On top of that I put a layer of homemade meat sauce (I use ground chicken often) Put the pies in the oven and bake for 40 minutes at 350... the last 5 minutes I put some shredded cheese on top and let that melt/brown for a couple minutes.

Let that rest for a good 10 minutes so it does not all just fall apart when you slice it up.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    FALSE!
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I like it, but I like nearly any squash...
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I like it...so probably cant really help. Just don't expect it to be pasta...it isn't. Its a tasty thing of its own.

^This
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Thanks for throwing yourself on the grenade. This is now scratched off of my "to try" list.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    sounds like you over cooked it...I prefer al dente style. Cook it a little less and see if you like it better.
  • xqueenbee24x
    xqueenbee24x Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I can't for the life of me get squash to taste good! I tried different recipes but they all tasted yuck!

I agree... I don't think it tastes THAT BAD, but its just bland - I've tried garlic, salt and pepper but that's still not enough.
    Does anyone have a good suggestions that doesn't involve adding heavy creamy sauces???