Spaghetti squash= shredded yuck

Options

Replies

• JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I also had it carbonara style for lunch :-) Even my sicilian husband, who swore he would give up his pasta only when i pried it from his cold, dead hands, liked spaghetti squash. Perhaps you got a bad one? I had one a couple of weeks ago that was awful - mushy and tasteless. Try again!
  • krisha36
    krisha36 Posts: 63
    Options
    OMG i made it for the 1st time last night. plain its so good.
    but what can i do to it to make it more filling?
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    First, you can't expect it to taste anything like pasta. It's just not how it is.

When I make it, I cook the spaghetti squash in the microwave (cut in half). When it's done I set it on the counter to cool down. While it is cooling I cook some pasta (1/4 to 1/2 servings for each person). When the squash is cool I shred one half of it and cut up a carrot and green pepper into thin strips. When the pasta is done I drain it, add it back to the pot with the carrots, squash and green peppers. Than add in some margarine/butter/olive oil, pepper and a bunch of Tex Mex seasoning. Mix it all together and than plate. You get a huge plate for pretty low calories.

I don't like the taste of it plain. My husband does. I love it mixed with pasta ... I use spaghettini. I have never had it with tomato sauce or anything other than spices and a fat.

We don't buy it that often as it can be pretty pricey here. Last time I went to the store a small squash was over $6. However, I can make one squash last for two full meals for my husband and I (four servings) and than two lunches for my husband. Mixed with pasta and some spices, fat and veggies it is really good.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Honestly, even IF spaghetti squash tasted bad ... the calories you save is SO worth it! I wish everyone here bashing poor Mr Squash would realize that! :P

So you'd rather eat something you didn't like just to save a few calories?

Personally, I will never consume something I don't like just because it saves a few calories. I will make what tastes good work.
  • ThunderButt11
    ThunderButt11 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Honestly, even IF spaghetti squash tasted bad ... the calories you save is SO worth it! I wish everyone here bashing poor Mr Squash would realize that! :P

So you'd rather eat something you didn't like just to save a few calories?

Personally, I will never consume something I don't like just because it saves a few calories. I will make what tastes good work.

AGREED! If I can find a way too make it taste good to me, I am all for it! I may try a few of the skinny taste recipes, they appear to have possibilities.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i like mine with butter (or olive oil in a pinch) and salt and pepper. i don't try to pretend it is anything that it is not.
  • _Lori_Lynn_
    _Lori_Lynn_ Posts: 460
    Options
    I eat quinoa pasta. It is nearly exactly like real spaghetti and tastes good. I can't tell the difference. Quinoa is healthy.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options

Or maybe people should just eat food they like and not force themselves to choke down food they hate?

I love squash, and it still took me a while to warm up to spaghetti squash, mostly because I was expecting spaghetti and not squash which is... dumb. I like it with some butter, lemon, and garlic. Maybe some basil too. Really good wish fish! I find it's also important to drain it, otherwise it can be kind of soupy.
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    try the wheat spagetti
  • deathbypretzel
    Options
    1 whole spaghetti squash, slice lengthwise.. Place squash in trash container and eat food you like.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    So I made them "latke" style.
    http://www.halfbakedharvest.com/spaghetti-squash-pancakes/

It's pretty great.

You could also try baking them twice. The more cooking time for the squash, the better, as a rule.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like it with alittle olive oil, salt and pepper. I think if you are prepared for pasta you will be disappointed. If you prepared for squash it's good
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I like it with alittle olive oil, salt and pepper. I think if you are prepared for pasta you will be disappointed. If you prepared for squash it's good

Exactly. Just because it shares the name with a pasta does not mean it should be treated as such. It is squash. I treat it like squash and it is yummy.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I think it's an acquired taste. I had it plain at a restaurant and wasn't over all impressed. I made it at home and it was ok, but I still needed to tweak the recipe. I had a recipe from BHG for salmon with skettie squash salad with a chili-lime dressing. It was completely palatable, but not my favorite. I don't see skettie squash in the store very often, but it's just something that I have to keep playing with.
  • shiplizard
    shiplizard Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Only squash I can really stomach. Needs salt, and it works better standing in for rice noodles or vermicelli than it does for spaghetti-- try it to bulk out a stirfry?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Exactly. Just because it shares the name with a pasta does not mean it should be treated as such. It is squash. I treat it like squash and it is yummy.
    gawd i feel like i just said this. i get ignored a lot on these threads. is it my ticker, is she intimidating, cause that's not even me. that's just a relaxing photo that makes me happy and think of bikini goals. anyway back to my FL newsfeed.
  • spelham15
    spelham15 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash...love it even more this way. "skinny" it up any way you'd like or eat it this way and enjoy :) It's even better as leftovers with some sour cream on top.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/spaghetti-squash-with-jalapeo-cream-10000001842378/
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash is not a replacement for pasta, so there's no point in tricking yourself in order to get through a plate of it.

However, I love all types of squash, so I enjoy it. My favourite way to eat it is with some grated parmigiano reggiano and browned butter. I also like to take a vegetable peeler to zucchini to make "fettuccini" with homemade alfredo sauce. Om. Nom.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I usually can't stand squash, except acorn, butternut, and spaghetti.

slice it lengthwise salt and pepper, bake in oven at 350F for about an hour.
    mix with you favorite sauce and chow down
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Baked Spaghetti Squash Lasagna:

I tried this recipe about a month ago and have made it 3 times since. I halved the olives and cheese and it was still very good. I don't think it tastes like spaghetti, but it is still very good :)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-spaghetti-squash-lasagna-style/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=spaghetti squash lasagne&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e13=A:Search Results-List(control)&e7=Recipe Search Results