Eating Carbs Protein Fat at once makes u fat?

Ok I tried searching the forums for this but it just kept talking about our ratios.
My question is is eating protein and carbs at the same time a setup for fat storage.
For example I can either eat. Fiber one bar or a Atkins bar.
Same calories relatively same fats carbs both at 20g sugar is the same at 6g but of course the sugar alcohol is in the Atkins. There is 16g of protein in the Atkins and 1g in the fiber one. So normally id think protein however I am starting to think that eating all your macros at once can set you up for fat storage even if it is the holy protein. Sorry if I'm losing some of you.

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    I think you are over complicating things. As a general rule, when you go high carb, you should go low fat and vice versa but to say you can never eat them together is a bit over the top.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Over consumption of calories makes you fat...not individual macro-nutrients, regardless of whether you eat them together, separate, or whatever...

My meals and snacks generally have elements of all 3 macro-nutrients and I've lost about 25 Lbs.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Ok I tried searching the forums for this but it just kept talking about our ratios.
    My question is is eating protein and carbs at the same time a setup for fat storage.
    Same calories relatively same fats carbs both at 20g sugar is the same at 6g but of course the sugar alcohol is in the Atkins. There is 16g of protein in the Atkins and 1g in the fiber one. So normally id think protein however I am starting to think that eating all your macros at once can set you up for fat storage even if it is the holy protein. Sorry if I'm losing some of you.

you lost me at the title.... i really hope this is a troll post and noone actually believes *kitten* like this!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    You want to eat carbs, protein and fat in every meal. Each piece has a different function for your body. Research what they do for you and how much of each should be in each meal. (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200) Ratios are very important. For example I eat steel cut oats with peanut better from breakfast.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Im confused.

You realize you'd be hard pressed to eat ANYTHING without it containing 1 or more macro nutrients. Unless you're just drinking olive oil. O_O
  • KevinHuss
    KevinHuss Posts: 24 Member
    I think you are over complicating things. As a general rule, when you go high carb, you should go low fat and vice versa but to say you can never eat them together is a bit over the top.

I have been following this general rule myself. I try to eat a fair amount of protein through the day, I eat high carbs ( mostly fruit and vegetables, no white processed flours or sugars ), and I eat very low fat. it has worked well for me.

The reverse seems to be true, and that's why the Atkins diet works, I lost a quite a bit on Atkins several years ago, problem was I eventually had to add the carbs back and had a hard time limiting my fat. I gained it all back and then some. I started my diet a year ago (Feb 15) and began going high carb/low fat last summer, it is still working well for me.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Is this a serious question? When you eat a hamburger you are eating fat, carbs, and protein all at once. When you eat yogurt you are eating fat, carbs, and protein all at once. Almost everything we eat contains all three of these nutrients in the same bite. What you're saying makes no sense...
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Making this way too complicated. Stay at a deficit while eating 85-90% nutritious foods. Get around .8 grams/lb body weight protein and .4 grams/lb body weight fat. Fill in remaining calories with carbs.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member

Extra calories set you up for fat storage. If you are in a deficit, you will not be holding on to fat.

Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs don't make you fat. Protein doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

Eat what you want, when you want.
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    You're body doesn't keep track when you eat things together or separate. In fact, it is specially designed to eat all the things! Enjoy!
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    Blah I figured it out for myself.
    The answer is high impact carbs and fat shouldn't go together because of the insulin response.
    Protein the jury is still out...I'm starting to wonder if the free aminos become a problem when they are in excess and can link up and be stored.
    Any other ideas feel free to comment, I know there are Millions of protein discussions so I'm off to read that now.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

Extra calories set you up for fat storage. If you are in a deficit, you will not be holding on to fat.

Fat doesn't make you fat. Carbs don't make you fat. Protein doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat.

Eat what you want, when you want.

QFT
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    nope. timing doesn't affect it.
  • Ickle_Star
    Ickle_Star Posts: 19 Member
    Is this a serious question? When you eat a hamburger you are eating fat, carbs, and protein all at once. When you eat yogurt you are eating fat, carbs, and protein all at once. Almost everything we eat contains all three of these nutrients in the same bite. What you're saying makes no sense...

Too true! Plus those bars aren't great for you, just eat real food instead.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    The answer is high impact carbs and fat shouldn't go together because of the insulin response.
    Protein the jury is still out...I'm starting to wonder if the free aminos become a problem when they are in excess and can link up and be stored.
    Any other ideas feel free to comment, I know there are Millions of protein discussions so I'm off to read that now.

this sounds like good old fashioned broscience to me.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    If you are in a calorie deficit, whether or not something gets 'stored' you are still not eating as much as your body is burning, so it necessarily has to pull something out of storage in order to have fuel throughout the day. Whether you are burning the same stuff you just ate, or storing those specific molecules and burning off more of other molecules that were stored long ago, at the end of the day it's still the same result.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    tigerpalm.jpg

Absolutely untrue. Insulin response really has nothing to do with fat storage.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Over consumption of calories makes you fat...not individual macro-nutrients, regardless of whether you eat them together, separate, or whatever...

This is nonsense.

If you eat nothing but fat, oil, lard, etc, say, 3000 calories a day you will LOSE weight.