Eating Carbs Protein Fat at once makes u fat?

Options

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Absolutely untrue. Insulin response really has nothing to do with fat storage.

DUH?

Even Wikipedia knows that one of the two MAIN functions of insulin is to store fat. That's metabolism 101 for dummies!

This video explains all

http://youtu.be/Yo3TRbkIrow

as does this one

http://youtu.be/T2K_ro2Lrxw
    You're a little confused.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34mViApQiyE

Start around 14:00

Better yet, read this:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

/thread
  • FuzzyOatmeal
    Options
    (not to mention a host of other medical problems - ?constipation anyone)

I think that you'd have the opposite effect from 100% butter..
  • cdvdsn
    cdvdsn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Why make things so difficult? Eat a balanced diet, lower in overall calories and high in filling, lower calorie foods (vegetables, fruit, whole grains). Find an exercise regime that you enjoy and do it.
  • AlexFryer
    Options
    Absolutely untrue. Insulin response really has nothing to do with fat storage.

DUH?

Even Wikipedia knows that one of the two MAIN functions of insulin is to store fat. That's metabolism 101 for dummies!

This video explains all

http://youtu.be/Yo3TRbkIrow

as does this one

http://youtu.be/T2K_ro2Lrxw
    You're a little confused.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34mViApQiyE

Start around 14:00

Better yet, read this:

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

Great article.

Avoid bars apart from the odd reward. They are promoted as a quick fix and are pure marketing, just look at the ingredients.

Totally agree that you just need to choose between high carb + high protein OR high fat + high protein. Then make sure you aware of the calorie surplus/defecit depending on whether you want to put on or lose weight.

If you want to gain weight while keeping fat down, keep sugar down to a minimum (that's glucose and fructose). I intake 450g of carbs a day and less than 70g from sugar (which are I only consume after workouts or first thing in the morning).
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    (not to mention a host of other medical problems - ?constipation anyone)

I think that you'd have the opposite effect from 100% butter..

I don't fancy trying it to see which way things go, so to speak, but feel free if you're a willing volunteer :)
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You get fat storage when you consume more calories than your body needs.

Far too much misinformation is on the internet, on TV and everywhere.

Complex carbs and protein at a meal can help you remain full fo rlonger as they both take longer to digest.

No one macro will make you fat. Excess calories makes you gain.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Blah I figured it out for myself.
    The answer is high impact carbs and fat shouldn't go together because of the insulin response.
    Protein the jury is still out...I'm starting to wonder if the free aminos become a problem when they are in excess and can link up and be stored.
    Any other ideas feel free to comment, I know there are Millions of protein discussions so I'm off to read that now.
    If you are in a calorie deficit, whether or not something gets 'stored' you are still not eating as much as your body is burning, so it necessarily has to pull something out of storage in order to have fuel throughout the day. Whether you are burning the same stuff you just ate, or storing those specific molecules and burning off more of other molecules that were stored long ago, at the end of the day it's still the same result.

Not really... your macros, and the timing of your exercise compared to those macros, will make a huge difference in whether you are burning fat or lean muscle tissue. You may still be losing weight, but the result is far from the same.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Why make things so difficult? Eat a balanced diet, lower in overall calories and high in filling, lower calorie foods (vegetables, fruit, whole grains). Find an exercise regime that you enjoy and do it.

people say eat a balanced diet piss me off. I prefer eat to your desired out come. To me a 'balanced diet' is a phrase coming from people who don't know how to manipulate their macro-nutrient profiles to attain their desired effects.
  • FuzzyOatmeal
    Options
    I don't fancy trying it to see which way things go, so to speak, but feel free if you're a willing volunteer :)

Well, I've put myself on a fat fast for a few days in the past, so I was speaking from experience somewhat x.X
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Not really... your macros, and the timing of your exercise compared to those macros, will make a huge difference in whether you are burning fat or lean muscle tissue. You may still be losing weight, but the result is far from the same.

If you take into account the amount of time that it takes to fully digest anything (and how everything just turns into mush in the gut anyway, making the original question pointless) then 'macro timiing' on a meal to meal basis pre/post/during/whatever exercise starts to look like an exercise of over-complicating matters.

I understand all the glycogen refilling and whatnot but really, does it make that much of a difference?

Really? ;)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok I tried searching the forums for this but it just kept talking about our ratios.
    My question is is eating protein and carbs at the same time a setup for fat storage.
    For example I can either eat. Fiber one bar or a Atkins bar.
    Same calories relatively same fats carbs both at 20g sugar is the same at 6g but of course the sugar alcohol is in the Atkins. There is 16g of protein in the Atkins and 1g in the fiber one. So normally id think protein however I am starting to think that eating all your macros at once can set you up for fat storage even if it is the holy protein. Sorry if I'm losing some of you.

If you are in a deficit for the day, it really doesn't matter
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options

Well, I've put myself on a fat fast for a few days in the past, so I was speaking from experience somewhat x.X

o_0 I shall take your word for it then!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

If I train like a beast I will get fat because I didn't eat at the right time of day. Sounds legit.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

Your loss in those few days of eating nothing but fat was water loss from totally eliminating carbs. Not proper weight loss from eating just fat. In the longer term, eating 3000 cals daily will result in weight gain unless of course your maintenance requirements are above that.
  • FuzzyOatmeal
    Options
    Your loss in those few days of eating nothing but fat was water loss from totally eliminating carbs. Not proper weight loss from eating just fat. In the longer term, eating 3000 cals daily will result in weight gain unless of course your maintenance requirements are above that.

I had already been on a ketogenic diet for 5 months at the time, and had been stuck at a plateau for over a month-and-a-half. The fast was to break the plateau, which it did. It wasn't for quick weight loss, I just wanted to get below a weight I was tired of seeing. It worked wonderfully and I've been back to losing weight for over a month. So, it had the desired effect even if those 4 days did suck :)

Though, to clarify, it was 90% fat at 1000 calories with 500 coming from butter and MCT oil (bulletproof coffee). Not 3k calories of straight up butter
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I had already been on a ketogenic diet for 5 months at the time, and had been stuck at a plateau for over a month-and-a-half. The fast was to break the plateau, which it did. It wasn't for quick weight loss, I just wanted to get below a weight I was tired of seeing. It worked wonderfully and I've been back to losing weight for over a month. So, it had the desired effect even if those 4 days did suck :)

Though, to clarify, it was 90% fat at 1000 calories with 500 coming from butter and MCT oil (bulletproof coffee). Not 3k calories of straight up butter

my brain is exploding right now. how can anyone think that 90% fat is in ANY way healthy? if your Keto diet stalled out, it's because Ketogenic diets AREN'T sustainable long term, though there's nothing wrong with doing it for a short time (it mimics the winter months for a caveman)

are you sure you're not doing more harm than good to your system? have you recently had your vitals checked or your vitamin levels?
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options

s043Ftl.gif
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Over consumption of calories makes you fat...not individual macro-nutrients, regardless of whether you eat them together, separate, or whatever...

This is nonsense.

If you eat nothing but fat, oil, lard, etc, say, 3000 calories a day you will LOSE weight.

Lolno. Even i would gain weight eating nothing but fat at 3000 (if i could suppress the vomiting)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Blah I figured it out for myself.
    The answer is high impact carbs and fat shouldn't go together because of the insulin response.
    Protein the jury is still out...I'm starting to wonder if the free aminos become a problem when they are in excess and can link up and be stored.
    Any other ideas feel free to comment, I know there are Millions of protein discussions so I'm off to read that now.
    If you are in a calorie deficit, whether or not something gets 'stored' you are still not eating as much as your body is burning, so it necessarily has to pull something out of storage in order to have fuel throughout the day. Whether you are burning the same stuff you just ate, or storing those specific molecules and burning off more of other molecules that were stored long ago, at the end of the day it's still the same result.

Macros yes. Timing no.