deficit every day and no weight loss :(

Options
124»

Replies

• Zolliewollie
    Options
    In the search for the perfect weight, you end up stressing yourself out obsessing over what you put in your mouth, how much exercise you do and not reaching that number. Stress creates cortisol which creates fat that typically hangs around the middle. Stress can also create a environment in your body like starvation mode, it keeps your body from losing weight. Instead of trying to get to THE perfect number, give yourself a weight class to stay within and make it realistic given your bone structure and body type. Give yourself about 5-10lbs leeway and reduce some of that stress. (look at this healthy weight chart and check your structure www.commonsensehealth.com/Womens-Health/Healthy_Weight_Height_Chart_for_Women.shtml )

While tracking what you eat does have it's merits, otherwise I wouldn't be here, there are a few things to remember. Your body does not use every calorie you put into it. It takes what it needs when it needs it and either disposes of or stores the rest. Stressing over every lick of the spoon, condiments etc can make a stressful situation worse. Plus, calorie count varies from food to food, two apples of the same variety may have very different calorie information. Just remember, tracking is a tool to help us maintain our progress not to hinder us by creating stress over it.

Yes, some of thrive on that stress to make weight loss work but for others, like me, stress makes it harder to stick too. I look at my calories and stats on a weekly basis, if I'm under my weekly totals, great. I do look at each day and see where I could do better, but I do not let myself obsess over it.

Give yourself a break, you've obviously worked hard to be where you are and give yourself credit for it. Take a breathe, re-evaluate your goals realistically and don't give up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate: in this context, calorie deficit is defined as consuming 500 calories per day less than your minimum daily intake.

No, I'm not saying that if you eat exactly 500 calories fewer than recommended, you'll go into starvation mode in 24 hours. That depends on a whole series of person-specific factors, not the least of which being what the individual's daily caloric intake should be. But assuming that's somewhere under 1500 calories, yes, you will end up in starvation mode eventually. Meaning you won't starve to death and may not feel that hungry, but your body won't have enough calories to maintain day-to-day functions while burning it's preferred fuel sources.

This is not correct. Your metabolism will not start slowing until about 72 hours after a fast. Not that I am recommending it, but lets get the facts right.

thank you!
  • DebT925
    DebT925 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is possible you are building muscle, which weighs more than fat. How are your clothes fitting? Let that be your guide. Once your muscle gain balances, you should see the scale budge. Also, don't starve yourself, because if you do, you will shut your metabolism down and you won't lose.
  • imryanblank2
    Options
    Hey Everyone

So I have been really trying to manage calories and lose weight for the past 3 months. My measurements are the same and my weight it around the same - I am so frustrated!! How is it possible to have a calorie deficit of 300 to 500 calories a day and only be maintaining??!?! I'm so frustrated and really want to lose that 5 to 10 lbs - is it impossible?!

Currently I am 5'5" 136 and would love to get below 130 - I have only been below 130 once which was last summer when I was running a lot but hardly doing any strength training (now I kickbox twice a week)

I work out 4 to 5 times a week and eat right HELP!!!!

It's NOT possible to be at a deficit and maintain your weight. You may think you're at a deficit, but you are either consumeing more calories than you think OR burning less than you think.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    It is possible you are building muscle, which weighs more than fat. How are your clothes fitting? Let that be your guide. Once your muscle gain balances, you should see the scale budge. Also, don't starve yourself, because if you do, you will shut your metabolism down and you won't lose.

this is not possible...
  • Heather4nne
    Heather4nne Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Just to reiterate: in this context, calorie deficit is defined as consuming 500 calories per day less than your minimum daily intake.

No, I'm not saying that if you eat exactly 500 calories fewer than recommended, you'll go into starvation mode in 24 hours. That depends on a whole series of person-specific factors, not the least of which being what the individual's daily caloric intake should be. But assuming that's somewhere under 1500 calories, yes, you will end up in starvation mode eventually. Meaning you won't starve to death and may not feel that hungry, but your body won't have enough calories to maintain day-to-day functions while burning it's preferred fuel sources.

well I disagree that eating 1500 cals a day will put you in starvation mode...plenty of people on my friends list eat 1200 to 1500 and do well and look great...so I guess we will just agree to disagree...

I'll agree to disagree, but with another clarification. I meant if you're supposed to eat 1500 calories per day and you're eating significantly less than that. Sorry, that wasn't well-put previously.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    EAT. MORE.
  • grau62000ameze
    Options
    Eating at a deficit causes your body to go into starvation mode. The body becomes very efficient and burns less calories to make up the difference you are not eating. It is better to supply the body with a vast amount of food and balanced with calorie burn from your workout. Heed the warnings at the end of the day when you close out your food diary.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Your probably eating at maintenance right now drop your cal a next 200-300.