RUNNERS: Asics vs. Brooks - GO!

Options
Obviously different strokes for different folks and different shoes are going to work for different people. I've run in Adidas, New Balance, but for the longest time, Asics. I have been fitted professionally and have loved my Asics for . . . probably 8 years now. I was in their basic I think now 2100 series then recently moved to the Nimbus, always with good results. I'm a pretty neutral runner, mainly mid-foot strike. I also do have something of a wide fore-foot (average arch) so at least years ago I couldn't do Nikes because they were too narrow for me, although I've heard that's changed in recent years.

Well, I probably would have just continued along happily in my Asics, never knowing any different but I wanted to start trying some trail running and the best reviewed trail shoes I saw were Brooks Cascadias, and I got a pair for my bday. Tried them out for the first time last weekend and I LOVED them.

Now I've never been a minimalist runner; I want at least a bit of support and cushioning despite being pretty neutral and with a natural mid-foot strike. But I swore I felt like the Brooks Cascadias had a little bit lower heel/toe drop than my Asics . . . and I loved it! Have been poking around online and near as I can tell it's a pretty small difference - 10mm drop on the Cascadia and 12mm on the Nimbus, but I still swear I felt it.

So now I'm looking at lot at the Brooks Pure series and wondering if I might try the Pure Cadence. I'm going to be about due for shoes in April anyway. Thoughts on the Cadence for anyone who runs in them? And especially, thoughts from anyone who's moved from Asics to Brooks and why / how it's worked out, if there's anyone on these forums who has done that.

Thanks!

Replies

• jmcconathy
    jmcconathy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've never run in Asics, but I LOVE Brooks. I have a narrow heel and wide toe box and they fit me perfectly. Brooks has always just felt better than anything else to me. I need the support so I only use the Ariel and Trance. Sorry I can't speak to your exact question, but I wanted to plug my vote for Brooks:)
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Saucony
  • kingkoopaluv
    kingkoopaluv Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    mizuno
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Asics is easier on the wallet, Brooks are easier on the feet. If you have the money, go Brooks. But my last pair were Asics and they're okay, holding up real well.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I had--still have--a pair of Asics. Bits of the sole started falling off about 3 months after I got them. I wear them to walk the dog because it feels wasteful to throw away a pair of $100 shoes, but I won't be buying Asics again.

[Edit: they were also pretty uncomfortable for me to run in. The balls of my feet got hot because the toe cages are too wide for me. That's an individual fit issue, not a quality issue, unlike the previous thing I mentioned.]
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I liked my Asics but once I switched to Brooks I can't go back. They just fit me like a glove, and I need moderate stability so I use the Adrenaline GTS12. I only wish they came in some funky colors, mine are boring looking. I haven't checked new ones out recently, so maybe they have fun colors now.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I only wear Brooks and I LOVE mine! I have a few friends that have gone from Asics to Brooks and say they would never go back. I think it just depends on your feet and what fits you best.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    mizuno

^^^for sure!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Brooks. Have the Pure Cadence and the Adrenaline (for runs over 12 miles), love them both.

Digging the New Balance Minimus for trails though.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Both are great.

BROOKS are my favorites. I have a wider foot and I need ZERO stability, so I find their neutral runners are more flexible than ASICS are.... I have run in these two :

Brooks Glycerin 9 ( my shoe of choice)
    Asics Nimbus 13

A shoe is a personal thing though..... I never went into the running store with the intentions of buying Brooks... I thought I wanted the new Nike or Asics..... turns out...the shoe pics you.

:)
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Bought very expensive asics............THEY REALLY SUCK!

I will always be a saucony girl.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I have the Pure Cadence shoes. They're ok, but for $120 I was pretty disappointed. I have tried all brands: Saucony, Mizuno, Asics, Nike, Brooks. I have always gone back to Asics. The Pure Cadences were comfortable to walk in, but gave me horrible tendonitis when I started running in them. They also have an elastic band that runs across the top of the foot that made my feet pretty sore. If I wear them now it's purely for looks.
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ive worn Nimbus (asics) for 5 years of running. Love them!!!! Someone said asics were easy on the wallet? Those shoes are 140.00...wondering if Brookes are more expensive???
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Saucony

These fit my feet best... I've tried more expensive, "better" shoes, but only have real comfort with my standard Sauconys! I do have weird feet, though.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My Asics 2160 & 2170 were NO good for my feet. . .despite going to a running store for a fitting. My sports medicine doc (also a runner) recommeded the Saucony Kinvara or the Brooks PureFlow. I went with Brooks. I didn't really really like the first iteration of the PureFlow, but I'm loving the PureFlow 2 . . .despite it's GARISH electric pink color. There's decent cushion without structure. The toe box is wide enough for my bunion mess for feet. Overall, I'm a huge fan.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I was in their basic I think now 2100 series then recently moved to the Nimbus, always with good results.

Nimbus 2000?
  • garnet116
    garnet116 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I will say that my Asics - forgot the name of them but they are stability shoes... are VERY cushiony and comfortable to wear. They just felt really big/wide in the toebox. The Brooks don't have as much cushion, but I feel they are a tiny bit more supportive.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mine are Brooks, but I didn't buy them for the brand. I tried on 5 or 6 different pairs recommended by the gal at the running shoe store after she watched my gait. The Brooks felt the best. They are actually quite ugly, but my feet are happy in them.
  • drchimpanzee
    drchimpanzee Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Saucony

These fit my feet best... I've tried more expensive, "better" shoes, but only have real comfort with my standard Sauconys! I do have weird feet, though.

Weird feet here too! I have the Omni 11's in wide. Great shoe if you need stability.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I was in their basic I think now 2100 series then recently moved to the Nimbus, always with good results.

Nimbus 2000?

That just makes the miles fly by!!

I've always worn Asics and never had any problems, but I admit I have never tried Brooks.