5'6" larger frame females... Higher goal weight?!?!

Options

Replies

• DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    DiaryOfaThickFitWoman Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 5'5 1\2. My start weight was 250 and size 20/18. I'm 217 today and size 15/16. My goal is 170 size 9\10. I guess I have a large frame according to my wrist size.......I also have a hourglass shape. I don't prefer to be any smaller than 160! Yet even at 160 that's overweight for some.
  • DiaryOfaThickFitWoman
    DiaryOfaThickFitWoman Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm 5'5 1\2. My start weight was 250 and size 20/18. I'm 217 today and size 15/16. My goal is 170 size 9\10. I guess I have a large frame according to my wrist size.......I also have a hourglass shape. I don't prefer to be any smaller than 160! Yet even at 160 that's overweight for some.

I think I may even be a size 8 @ 170....... I'm more than happy with that :)
  • slipandsink
    slipandsink Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 6. I was at 145lbs for a couple of years with a plateau (after coming down from 175lbs) but now I'm at around 134lbs. The 10lbs or so really do make a difference... At 134lbs my stomach is mostly flat and my thighs - what I consider to my worst part - aren't rubbing together at all really when I walk or run. At 145lbs my tummy always looked a little bloated and my thighs rubbed at the very top.

I'm pear shaped with a MASSIVE Beyonce booty (shame I'm a white girl!).
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6 with a large frame and my goal used to be 130-135... but I changed it about a month ago when I figured out my frame size. I like that I have a butt and thighs and I like having some boobs. So I am a-ok with being 140-150.
  • empot
    empot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6 and weigh 193 lbs. I'm 21% bf. I have 155 lbs of lean body mass so anything lower than 175 for me is scary skinny. My goal is 180. BMI would put me at obese. Learning my body compisition totally changed my relationship with my body. It's incredibly liberating to feel proud and empowered by curvy, muscular strength I have. I train hard and eat (mostly) clean.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    <<<<
    5'5 1/2" (more or less), @145 pounds when the bikini photos in my profile were taken in late January 2013.

Calipers tell me that I am @24% body fat, the military measure website tells me I am 31%. So who knows.

My goal is 136, but again, who knows. Trying to be happy with my body as it is now and continue to strength train.

ETA: size 8 now, also.
  • joyzeejay
    joyzeejay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and sit around 145 now. I'm a size 4/6.
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and small framed, 169lbs currently. My big goal is 150lbs. After that I would be ecstatic to get to 135lbs (I have 5 kids ranging in age from 7yo to 18months and I was 145lbs prekids)
  • NatzC123
    NatzC123 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft 5", my starting weight was 255lbs, my current weight is 217 lbs and my goal weight is 180 lbs, i think that is a good goal for me!! been at this about eight months now!
  • ASecretBobby
    ASecretBobby Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi what a good question. I am 5'6 -5'7 currently at 169 and been struggling to get much lower. I look and feel good, would like to see a little less fat around my legs and core so hope to settle at 150 one day. Am a comfy uk 14 with 7inch wrists so learning from this thread will prob never reach too much lower than that, I am going to buy some body fat tools and go by that n see where it takes me too. Currently loving insanity and seeing results it's awesome although not lost a single lb. feel free to add me it's nice to see others same size n build n see what works for you.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    This thread is such a breath of fresh air for me, because last posts I have been reading on 5'6"ers was ladies who were trying to get down to as little as 103lbs! I'm not supportive of that at all, I don't care how small their frame is.
    WTG girls, for wanting to be in the healthy range of our height class, even if it is the higher side. Good for you for setting realistic and healthy goals for yourselves!
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    5'6" here - I'm very happy at 150/155 - I have been smaller - but hard for me to maintain a weight of 135/140 - and at 150/155 I can wear a size 8/10 and that's fine with me - I am curvy - small waist and I have hips - you can change a lot with weight training, but not hip bones - embrace your curves - if you feel comfortable in your skin - no reason you have to be at the lower range of your healthy weight - I say yes, exercise - and do some weight training to tone and tighten - oh - I wouldn't give up cardio - it's an important part of any healthy regime - - you look fab in your profile photo btw! Don't get hung up on a number on the scale - if the numbers on your blood tests are in normal range - and you are at a healthy weight and feel fabulous that's all that matters! :flowerforyou:
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and currently 135lbs. My lowest weight was 129 right after I got back from studying abroad in China (everyone else seems to gain weight there, but I always lose). I thought I looked pretty good at that weight so I think that's my goal for now. May be looking at getting down to 125 eventually, but it really depends on how I look and feel after that.
  • kdcshesback
    kdcshesback Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    This thread is such a breath of fresh air for me, because last posts I have been reading on 5'6"ers was ladies who were trying to get down to as little as 103lbs! I'm not supportive of that at all, I don't care how small their frame is.
    WTG girls, for wanting to be in the healthy range of our height class, even if it is the higher side. Good for you for setting realistic and healthy goals for yourselves!

So glad you guys were sharing the same sentiments. Not to knock anyone's personal progress or goals, I just don't see myself down that low in weight at 5'6"

You ladies have given me much to think about (i.e. worrying about my own goals, not comparing, focusing on my bf%, etc.). It is really appreciated! And for all the success stories... CONGRATS!!
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and I weigh 184.6lbs. I have a goal weight of 155lb. I might go lower. I'll decide when I get there. I know 2 summers ago, I didn't mind the the way I looked at between 170 and 175lbs. I think it really depends on how you are comfortable with your own body. Do you want to be lean and muscular or keep a little body fat to keep those curves? Its a personal preference for sure. Also, I don't necessarily agree with BMI. Weight and height isn't enough information to determine one's health in my opinion. My preference is to determine your health through a medical exam/tests, an accurate percent body fat test, and a fit test.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you are, and also an hourglass shape. I'm currently 161lbs and looking to get to 150. 10 years ago I was 147 but I didn't do strength training then, just cardio, and I was probably eating less than 1200 calories a day. I look better now and I can wear all my old clothes from then. The difference now is my belly is not as good after having had kids!

If I got to 120 I know I'd look ill, it wouldn't suit me. Most people think I weigh less than I do anyway.
  • brassballa
    brassballa Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and right now 183(181 varies), BF is around 27% via calipers, 28.2% with handheld. That means for me to be 130lbs I would have negative bodyfat and might as well be dead, so nope that is no way my goal. I am aiming for 18-19% body fat and 160-165lbs. (134lbs LBM right now)

Avitar is me the other day at current weight.

Man I needed to see your post I have been wondering if I had set my goal to high ....I weigh the same as you and I am in the 28 percent range too...my goal is 160
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    During Winter 2012, I was 5' 6" and I was around 140 lbs. I was quite content with that weight. I think it's a healthy weight. I lost the top part of my hourglass when I went from 157lbs to 140lbs.
  • elle77
    elle77 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all of the posts, but here is how you can determine your body frame size....

Measure around your wrist.

For a female that is 5'6":

Small Frame = Wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium Frame = Wrist size between 6.25" and 6.5"
    Large Frame = Wrist size greater than 6.5"

Well this in nice to know!lol My wrist is 7"! I'm 5'7 & 200 lbs...size 12. My smallest was 140 size 1/2. Toooo thin...looked sick. At 175 I wear a 6-8....so for me 160 size 4 is good :) I am amazed at how different people can be....I guess I am truly big boned :wink:
  • HZ15
    HZ15 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I always assumed I was bigger framed but as I've lost weight I'm reassessing.

I've never been slim so only had my "fat body" to judge on. I was one of those who carried their puppyfat a little longer than most but looking back was still quite slim. I didn't see it like that so decided in my warped little head that if I was going to be fat anyway I may as well eat what I want and so became genuinely fat by 17.

I still have 24lbs to lose to get to the top of my healthy BMI range but I'm wearing mostly UK size 10s (with some 12s still needed). And that doesn't seem to tie with being larger framed.

Nor do I put any faith in the wrist measurement thing. My wrists are much smaller now than this time last year. Evident in jewellery and watches and also in the 'finger and thumb' test. They were no where close to meeting this time last year (and boy did I try to stretch my little fingers round) and now there's a small overlap. Which would take me from having been large framed to being medium/small framed. Clearly my 'frame' hasn't actually changed at all rather just what's clinging on around it.

So, IMO, it's perhaps not wise to put yourself into a 'large frame' category too soon. Or indeed put any labels on your body type.

I also always assumed that I could only ever by a UK8 by starving myself and would look emaciated. Now, judging on how my body has changed so far, I'm probably going to be an 8 before even reaching the top of my healthy BMI range (which I find utterly bemusing).

I think if, like me, you were overweight for a long time you just need to focus on health and feeling comfortable in yourself. BMI is only a guide for averages (and not a very reliable one) so, to me, where you decide to stop on that range, or even if you're a couple of pounds either side, should be decided by how you feel, what works for your body and what is sustainable for your body rather than an arbitrary measurement or preconceived notion.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!