What do you all do with canned salmon?

Options

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Be wary of canned salmon, unless it says wild, it may be farmed raised. I only eat wild salmon. From Memorial Day until Labour Day, you can get wild salmon reasonably cheap (say $16 per fillet, (depending on the cut you may even get two slices) from Costco. I normally buy enough wild salmon from Costco to last me all year as I do not eat any meat, chicken, seafood, eggs.

Also canned salmon is very high in sodium. If I do eat it I have to squeeze a lot lemon to lessen the smell.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just stick with frozen. I've never really understood what you are supposed to do with a whole fish crammed in a can. The bones get so soft you can't pick them out.
  • sindikumva
    Options
    Suuuuper simple:

- canned salmon
    - potatoes
    - salt

step 1: make mashed potatoes (do this however you want... I like a bit of skim milk and some butter)
    step 2: mash in the canned salmon
    step 3: fry, grill or roast your fish cakes in palm-sized patties

OM NOM NOM

okay, not the healthiest thing in the world but these are to die for and you can reduce calories at every step
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    With canned salmon? Personally, I eye it suspiciously from across the aisle at the grocery store. I try to pass quietly, lest it become aware of my presence.
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips on what type to buy. I know it'll be a little fishy since it's fish. :P You know there's a point at which something is TOO fishy, and that's my main concern.
  • sindikumva
    Options
    Honestly, just stick with frozen. I've never really understood what you are supposed to do with a whole fish crammed in a can. The bones get so soft you can't pick them out.

eat the soft bones! They are a buffet of calcium!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    treat it somewhat as a base, like a hamburger....

i add eqq whites & seasonings to mine...onion/parsley/garlic.....make a patty & you can dip them in panco or a bread crumb....bake or lightly fri w/spray pam...top w/marinara sauce or i eat mine w/a creamed spinach....yum! my 10 year old son calls them crabby patties & we eat them on bagel flats w/pepperjack cheese....

I do nearly exactly the same thing - But instead of dipping them in the bread crumbs, I just mix a bit right in and make it a salmon patty.
  • atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It does taste more "salmony" than fresh. But you can make pretty good baked salmon patties with it. Use some breadcrumbs, lemon, tomato paste, dill, etc. Bake for about 30 minutes. I think it's tasty.
  • winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options
    OK, I appear to be in the minority here, but I like it. :bigsmile:

Maybe it's the variety I buy? I don't know. I have a hard time getting enough protein because I have a weird thing against cooking meat. (I said it was weird, not logical)

I buy it from Costco, it's a black can. Kirkland Wild Sockeye. A serving is 2oz and I get several meals out of a can. Sure there is a fish smell, but it's fish. I count myself amongst the smell-sensitive and this doesn't bother me.

I make rice ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. When I'm hungry, I warm the rice, add a tablespoon of chia seeds, a squeeze of lemon and some black pepper. I put two ounces of warmed salmon over the top and it's really good and easy.
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    Be wary of canned salmon, unless it says wild, it may be farmed raised. I only eat wild salmon. From Memorial Day until Labour Day, you can get wild salmon reasonably cheap (say $16 per fillet, (depending on the cut you may even get two slices) from Costco. I normally buy enough wild salmon from Costco to last me all year as I do not eat any meat, chicken, seafood, eggs.

Also canned salmon is very high in sodium. If I do eat it I have to squeeze a lot lemon to lessen the smell.

Well it's not Memorial Day yet... but I'll check Costco when I get a chance.

I'm not too concerned about sodium since my BP is like perfect and I don't eat anything else canned except beans.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    isnt that what they have in spongebob square pants, patty , its a bloody fishcake.
  • bzmommy34
    bzmommy34 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bump - I've had three cans in my pantry for months. They'll be used this weekend now! :)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i like canned salmon! i usually use the "ready to eat" variety, so no worries about picking out bones, skin, etc. usually i use it in a salad, use it as a topper on crackers, use it with a wrap, etc.

i've never tried making salmon patties with it - but they sound delicious! i may have to give it a try.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Feed it to my dog.
  • WVmom24
    WVmom24 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I toss some into an egg white omelet with 1 whole egg, 2 egg whites, and some shredded parmesan in the mornings. SOOOOOOO good, bursting with flavor and protein, and under 300 cal!
  • psych0kitty
    Options
    OK, I appear to be in the minority here, but I like it. :bigsmile:

Maybe it's the variety I buy? I don't know. I have a hard time getting enough protein because I have a weird thing against cooking meat. (I said it was weird, not logical)

I buy it from Costco, it's a black can. Kirkland Wild Sockeye. A serving is 2oz and I get several meals out of a can. Sure there is a fish smell, but it's fish. I count myself amongst the smell-sensitive and this doesn't bother me.

I make rice ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. When I'm hungry, I warm the rice, add a tablespoon of chia seeds, a squeeze of lemon and some black pepper. I put two ounces of warmed salmon over the top and it's really good and easy.

I hate cooking meat, too! Maybe it was the 10 years I spent as a vegetarian. Anyway, I do it now because I sort of have to, and I'm getting used to it.

I don't think I'm ready for the quantity they sell at Costco, but that's good to know if I decide I like it based on a trial amount.
  • winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options

I hate cooking meat, too! Maybe it was the 10 years I spent as a vegetarian. Anyway, I do it now because I sort of have to, and I'm getting used to it.

I don't think I'm ready for the quantity they sell at Costco, but that's good to know if I decide I like it based on a trial amount.

I blame my mother for hating the smell of cooked meat. I don't know what she did, but man...:frown:

The packs at Costco are three cans. So for about $12 (last purchase price) I get nine meals. Not too shabby! Hope you find some that works for ya. :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Feed it to cats.
  • abma44
    abma44 Posts: 1
    Options
    I live in the Pacific Northwest and have access to plenty of fresh salmon. This being said, I have this amazing Salmon Alfredo pasta recipe made with canned salmon. You eat the fresh stuff on its own, not in a pasta :). If you are interested, I can send you the recipe

Well, it is fishy because it's fish. As per all the previous notes, you use it like tuna in a casserole, or as a salmon patty. All great ideas! I eat mine drained, out of the can topped with sriracha sauce. Yum! I LOVE this stuff. Mix it with mayo and make a salmon sandwich like egg salad sandwich.

It's good for you, great source of good fats. Eat up! :)
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    What do I do with it? I eat it.... usually between 2 slices of bread with some mayo and stuff... or make salmon patties...