psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Feed it to cats.

Booger likes that idea
    violent.jpg
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I buy the salmon in a packet. I think it tastes a bit better than tuna and I eat it on my salad! :)
  • LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Open tin, get fork, try to eat, fend off kitties, end up sharing (skin, bones & all). :)
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    I buy the salmon in a packet. I think it tastes a bit better than tuna and I eat it on my salad! :)

Ooh I see a taste-test in my future!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Delicious canned salmon dip!

Ingredients
    1. Can of salmon, skin and bones removed

Wait .. don't they do that at the cannery?
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Even my dog wouldn't eat it. I leave it on the shelf in the store.:smile:
  • The_Outlaw_Torn
    The_Outlaw_Torn Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have ever had canned salmon in was a Salmon Loaf. It is edible, but I would much rather have frozen or fresh salmon.
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    Leave it on the grocery store shelf
  • smaugish
    smaugish Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just stick with frozen. I've never really understood what you are supposed to do with a whole fish crammed in a can. The bones get so soft you can't pick them out.

eat the soft bones! They are a buffet of calcium!

I was gonna say this! The bones are awesome for you, and because they're so soft they aren't a choking/get-stuck-in-your-throat hazard!

I like canned salmon... I usually mix it with light Philadelphia cheese and light Mayo and then use as a wrap/sandwich filler, salad topper... it's pretty good mixed with some pasta, light Philadelphia cheese, lightly sauteed onions and cherry tomatoes :)
  • horseplaypen
    horseplaypen Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My mom used to mush up a can of salmon for lunch for me when I was in elementary school, so I love it of course. :) I just used a bunch last night in that noodle and pea casserole another poster mentioned. It was delicious!
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/skillet_tuna_noodle_casserole.html

I also love salmon cakes. I usually use the fresh stuff, but it's hard to find wild-caught fresh salmon out here in Ontario, so when I'm not on the west coast I used canned salmon. I like mine Asian flavoured - I mix the salmon with egg, Panko crumbs, ginger, garlic, green onions, and sesame seeds. Fry until golden in a little bit of sesame oil, and dip in a half-half mixture of soy sauce and rice vinegar, with some hot sauce if that floats your boat. :)

The boyfriend and I also like to eat canned salmon on rice, with a little bit of mayo mixed in, sprinkled liberally with furikake, a Japanese seaweed condiment. He puts canned salmon on lentils too, with some pasta sauce, but I think that's gross. :)
  • Persephone7676
    Persephone7676 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think canned salmon is less fishy than frozen. If you can get red salmon and not pink it a whole lot better. Red coho is the best, I think that's what I bought at Costco. It is really delicious.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just stick with frozen. I've never really understood what you are supposed to do with a whole fish crammed in a can. The bones get so soft you can't pick them out.

eat the soft bones! They are a buffet of calcium!

I was gonna say this! The bones are awesome for you, and because they're so soft they aren't a choking/get-stuck-in-your-throat hazard!

I like canned salmon... I usually mix it with light Philadelphia cheese and light Mayo and then use as a wrap/sandwich filler, salad topper... it's pretty good mixed with some pasta, light Philadelphia cheese, lightly sauteed onions and cherry tomatoes :)

This is a great recipe. I do this (although I never thought about putting cherry tomatoes in it, yum!) and also do salmon cakes/patties. I've tried it in salads (cause I put tuna in salads a lot) but it just didn't taste right to me.

As far as the fishiness goes, the "canned" salmon i eat is canned by my MIL after she pulls them straight out of the Columbia River, and I've never bought commercially processed canned salmon so I can't comment on that, but I don't find the canned stuff I eat to be any more or less fishy than fresh salmon.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have never had canned salmon before-- though I like tuna-- but tonight I am trying it, to make Zatarain's Salmon Cakes. They seem a bit high-calorie (1 can and 1 box of mix makes 7 cakes, roughly 350 cals each), but I will post back later if they turn out well! :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    1. Nasty
    2. Leave it on the shelf at the store.
  • evie_wundt
    evie_wundt Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I grew up in on canned salmon. Love the stuff. I used to beg my Mom to give me the bones - soft and yummy. Maybe that's one reason why I don't have problems with osteopenia now.

Now, I use the stuff in pouches to put on salads.
  • ryanemsmom
    ryanemsmom Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am so thankful that growing up and living in Alaska has made me not know the answer to this question. Someone gave me a can of salmon once and being out of tuna I opened it up and saw the bones and skin jammed in there and threw it away. I would agree with everyone that said go to Costco and buy the real thing, and make sure you get wild not farmed.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Delicious canned salmon dip!

Ingredients
    1. Can of salmon, skin and bones removed
    2. Dot of olive oil (or oil of choice)
    3. Celery (diced, and in sticks)
    4. A few big scoops of fat free greek yogurt
    5. Sriracha
    6. Freshly ground black pepper

Steps
    1. In a pan on the stove, heat up a tiny bit of oil, then add salmon. Dry it out/cook it for a while
    2. Let cool
    3. Mix all ingredients except for celery sticks together well. Proportion as desired
    4. Eat the dip by using the celery sticks as dippers

There is mad protein in this, and healthy fats!

AWESOME idea! I've had a can of salmon sitting in my cabinet for awhile. I tried salmon cakes but they came out way too bread-y(?) so this is an even better alternative!
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    My grandmother used to get canned Salmon all the time, so I figured I'd give it a shot about a week ago because I really love salmon, and thought the canned stuff would be super convenient.

Well, needless to say I didn't like it at all. My cats wouldn't even eat it when I tried to unload it on them.

However, that's my personal taste and I'm sure there are some people who really love it. I do know that my grandmother used to make salmon patties with the canned stuff on the stove. I really don't recall how she did it though.

I tried the salmon on top of a bed of spinach and fashioned it into some sort of salad.
  • lucyricky2
    lucyricky2 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    bump for later. going to try some salmon patties. I already make tuna and chicken patties which are very good for protein count. I wrap them individually and freeze. so convenient to take out for lunch. I am going to try the same for salmon
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    BLECH! I can occasionally stomach fresh salmon with some good seasoning...but it is definitely a "fishy" tasting fish. Canned salmon is like tuna but stronger tasting to me. Mum in law used to make sandwiches with it and hubby LOVES them. I would skip lunch those days. It all depends on the person, too fishy for me.