Options
    I add pesto and pasta. It's yummy!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
  • gabiinacio
    gabiinacio Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    So I had a can of salmon sitting in my pantry for quite awhile. (Still to this day have no idea how it got in there) After reading this thread, I looked up some recipes and decided to make some use of it. We went with Salmon Patties, and it came out awesome, I ended up eating 3 of them with some hot sauce. My kids also loved it, but I had to tell them it was Crabby Patties.. haha!

There was a slight tuna smell to it, but I love tuna so it didnt bother me.
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I leave it at the store! lol
  • richh963
    richh963 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    French Canadain Salmon pie, at our house was a friday staple, Made with red salmon (only) mashed potatos, onions, milk, black pepper, all mixed together like a hash an put into 2 pie crusts with crust tops and baked for about 30mins,
  • millibelle
    millibelle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to make a New England seafood chowder using coconut milk instead of heavy cream. Use canned salmon, clams with juice and frozen shrimp. Surprisingly affordable luxury meal. Sometimes I make it Thai style with green curry and lemongrass, chilis, lime, etc. The kids love it.

Also, EVERYONE.....pullease quit complaing about the bones. They are an excellent, highly digestible source of calcium.. The reason they don't pick them out in the cannery is that you would lose (and waste) about 1/3 of the meat in the process and it would raise the cost exponentially. Mash the fish up and you can't see or taste the bones.

THings to add to your fish spread neutralize the fishy taste:

fresh lemon or lime juice
    fresh chopped parsley
    capers
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    You can totally pimp canned salmon.

Try these ideas:

-Flaked through cooked linguini/ spahetti/ fettucini with a little lemon juice, chopped fresh red chilli, evoo, rocket (arugula).

- Salmon burgers (as others have suggested).

- Oriental Salmon 'meatballs' - add beaten egg, chopped fresh spring onions (scallions), fresh grated garlic & ginger, chopped chilli and either a dash of teriyaki marinade OR thai red curry paste. Oven bake and serve with stir fry veggies / rice/ noodles or poach in an oriental broth.

- Mix with chopped spring onions, chilli, lime juice, chopped bell peppers, S & P and spoon into destoned avocado halves.

- Salmon pate/ dip (Cheats taramasalata!) add greek yoghurt, lemon juice & dill. serve with cucumber slices & pitta chips.

- Creamy Salmon filo parcels- mix with sauteed leeks, gratd mature chedder and creme fraiche/ yohurt. Season well and wrap in filo pastry. Glaze with eggwash and bake.
  • zumbalinda22
    zumbalinda22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has wild Alaskan canned salmon without salt. (red can) I also buy their "Healthy 8" chopped vegetables (it has things like broccoli, celery, carrots, jicama, etc.), mix in the whole can, add a couple tablespoons of low-fat mayo (I like Kraft, with olive oil), add some fresh dill, and voila - salmon salad! I like to eat it right out of the bowl, but you could put it in a sandwich, too. It doesn't seem terribly "fishy" to me, but then maybe I'm just used to it! Salmon patties are good, too. There were a lot of good recipes posted already; I don't have a special one.
  • Overcomer7737
    Overcomer7737 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Jodie! My family loves canned salmon. It's not terribly fishy. You can use it to top a salad. Often, I make salmon patties...mix chopped onions, clove crushed garlic, pepper, 1 egg, 1/2 cup coarse corn meal, little bit salt, 1/4 cup flour, 1/8 tsp crushed red peppers to the salmon. Don't drain the juice. Just de-bone the salmon. Consistency should be that of thick pancake mix. If too stiff, add lil non-fat milk to get desired consistency. Cook in EVOO or Coconut Oil on low/medium heat til browned on both sides. Enjoy!
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bumping Bo bo
  • psych0kitty
    psych0kitty Posts: 313
    Options
    Still loving all these ideas!

Fish balls - totally will try
    Lemon and capers - two of my favorite things and finally a reason to buy capers!
    In coconut milk soup - sounds amazing
    Eating the bones - we'll see

Now I have to get my butt to the store. :D
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    i boil a couple eggs, cook some green beans, add some black olives and diced onions and some lemon pepper, it may not be that good but its high in protein and somewhat healthy... Eat for function not for taste
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    TOPIC: What do you all do with canned salmon?

Throw it in the trash.
  • rosered93
    rosered93 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Put it in a stir fry. It's already flaked, it will distribute well throughout all servings, and it won't overpower the flavorings as stir fry typically uses strong sauces and aromatics. And it's just easy.
  • AliMarieFit
    AliMarieFit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! It's okay but small edible bones are in it! Probably not as healthy. Wait for it to go on sale and then stock up is my advice. ????☺
  • Poprocket_2012
    Options
    I love john west's wild red skinless and boneless salmon, it's yummy either on it's own or with water biscuits :)
  • MissyPoo2013
    MissyPoo2013 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • thejubster1
    thejubster1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A few other ideas..
    * Salmon mornay (use in place of tuna)
    * Salmon dip - salmon, cottage cheese, little diced onion for a kick. Great on rice cakes with tomato etc
    * Salmon Rice Pie (recipe below - not sure the calorie count)

BASE:
    3cup cooked rice (white or brown), 1 tbl butter, 1 beaten egg,

Cook rice. While still hot, add butter& fold in beaten egg. Place rice in well greased 9" pie plate, press firmly against bottom & sides with bottom of spoon.

FILLING
    1 cup grated tasty cheese, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 cup chopped celery, 8oz drained salmon, 3/4 cup milk (scalded), 2 eggs, salt & pepper, sliced tomato, extra cheese

Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over rice. Fry onion & celery until tender, add to pie crust with flaked salmon. Combine milk, eggs, cheese & seasonings & pour over salmon. Bake mod oven 400 deg for 25 mins until set. During last 4 mins, top with sliced tomato and extra cheese.

Best to start with smaller slices - can be a bit too much for people that don't have salmon often. Its nice while hot, or to have cold with a salad the next day.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    We just make Salmon Delight instead of Tuna Delight with it-- you know, noodles, peas, canned soup, cheese, etc.

man that was so dull, I shouldn't even post.

Be sure to always buy wild-caught salmon, though!

Actually, I"m glad you posted it....cuz I'm adding it to my meals for this week!! sounds yummy to me!