HOW do I get enough protein??? (vegetarian)

Options
groversa
groversa Posts: 450 Member
My protein goal is at 120/day. Its near impossible for me to get this, even with protein shakes and bars. I don't eat meat or fish (please don't give me an answer, about starting to eat meat/fish). I just need help and advice, i know everyone says you can't lose weight unless you have enough protein.
Thanks in advance for help!

Replies

• mzumwaltz
    Options
    I use Herbalife protein shakes
  • groversa
    Options
    I use Herbalife protein shakes

I also use herbalife, but each shake is only 24 grams, unless you add personal protein, but those are just 5 more grams. If I have two of those a day, its still not even half of my goal.
  • groversa
    Options
    bump?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Start including good vegetarian proteins into your diet - tofu, seitan, tempeh, lentils and other legumes. Then supplement that with high-protein add-ins: raw broccoli, other raw veggies and oats don't have "high" protein on their own, but they can add up when included with other foods. I am also a big fan of Clif Bars and Clif Builder bars - they have between 10 and 20g protein per bar, and make a great afternoon snack or meal replacement.

Instead of drinking an Herbalife shake, you could blend silken tofu with protein powder and soy milk and have at least 40g protein in that shake alone. It helps to plan out your meals beforehand so you can make sure you are meeting your macros. Feel free to peek through my diary for animal-free protein inspiration!
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I think that is a really high protein goal. I would recommend you do a little research on how much protein you should be eating and adjust your macro goals under Home -> Goals -> Custom.

But if you do want to eat that much protein add more beans, quinoa, brown rise, greens, lentils, etc which are all pretty high in protein.
  • groversa
    Options
    I think that is a really high protein goal. I would recommend you do a little research on how much protein you should be eating and adjust your macro goals under Home -> Goals -> Custom.

But if you do want to eat that much protein add more beans, quinoa, brown rise, greens, lentils, etc which are all pretty high in protein.

I have it according to my TDEE
  • daisydress
    Options
    What about naturally protein-rich foods? Try working them into your diet more (you'd be amazed how versatile some can be). Try a variety of nuts & seeds (watch the fat if you're concerned about that), beans, and milk alternatives such as soy milk and almond milk. As a former-vegan I'm still hooked on the other vegan dairy substitutes, like Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese. Those alternatives are a great lean, high protein option. I'm also amazed at the high amount of protein in Ezekial Sprouted Wheat Bread.
    Also, most whole grains are higher in protein - brown rice, quinoa, barley, etc. Fresh veggies have protein too, not in high quantity, but enough to help.
    If you're not used to all those foods, try subbing in a little at a time until it becomes a part of your diet - that's what I did, and they're all staples for me now. My protein goal is way lower than yours, but I accidentally go over almost daily.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bump... Thanks!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs.

I was at 135 g protein before dinner, no meat or fish. I use vitasport Pro-7 protein (34g per 150 cals), and because today was a long day at work, I also had a protein bar, although I don't make a habit of having them. Usually I can hit 110-120 no problem.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Do you eat dairy? I eat plain fat free greek yogurt at least once a day.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    soy products(tempeh, tofu, etc), beans, nuts, leafy green veggies, edamame (also soy i realize) add me if you would like (qualification, I have been eating vegitarian for 2 months now)
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I never get even close.

I'm a strange sort of psuedo-vegetarian. I stopped eating meat as a little girl because it grossed me out, but I can occasionally stomach a little lean ground beef (maybe once a week). I will also do chicken broth in soup or cooked in rice. But I don't like eggs, cheese, tofu, yogurt, and only have milk with cereal. It's a struggle.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I don't think it can be done without a protein supplement. I love dairy and legumes, but they contain carbs, and I'd have to eat too many calories to get all my protein that way. It would be insane to try to get all your protein from nuts - too much fat and too high in carbs. I've gone back to eating meat, but if I were still a vegetarian I would get some whey protein and some soy protein, and eat them in smoothies, in casseroles, in baked goods, and in yogurt.

There is also textured vegetable protein, which is tasty in chili, and might have a better texture than the protein powders for adding to casseroles.
  • allylbrown
    Options
    I have been eating vegan for several years but I do eat egg whites which add a lot of protein to my diet. Also, Bell peanut butter powder, it taste really good and is low in fat and high in protein. I use Vega One protein very healthy but costly. I also eat a lot of raw almonds and cashews but measure so u make sure u only get a serving/day. Eat a serving of some kind of beans daily, I usually add to my salad, garbanzo, edamame, black beans, ect. Good luck, feel free to friend me, I have some vegan/vegetarian friends and all of our diaries are open.
  • groversa
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Tofu, Peanut Butter, Eggs-all things high in protein as well.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    From your diary it looks like you are living off protein shakes, crackers and cheese.

Personally I think 120 is ridic unless you're training to be a body builder or something maybe..you probably need between 50-70

Try varying your sources, don't rely on protein from one source, many vegetarians make the mistake of getting the bulk of their protein from dairy. Dairy can make your fat intake soar.

Try beans, like black beans, garbonzo beans, pinto beans, baked beans (vegetarian), edamane, ect. Whole grains, quinoa, veggies, oatmeal, ect..If you eat eggs add some in but not too many.
  • tstancom
    tstancom Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Switch out your Special K in the morning for a protein-rich grain cereal. You can make your own with a cup of Chia, a cup of Hempseed hearts, 1/2 cup of Buckwheat groats, and whatever other nuts berries, spices, sugar you want. I use powdered ginger, cinnamon, dried apple and dried cranberry. Store it in a dry airtight container. Put 2 tbsp of it in a bowl and add 6 tbsp water and a splash of hemp or almond milk. Let the chia absorb the liquid and you have a protein-rich breakfast that's a lot like oatmeal for about 150 calories.
  • groversa
    Options
    From your diary it looks like you are living off protein shakes, crackers and cheese.

Personally I think 120 is ridic unless you're training to be a body builder or something maybe..you probably need between 50-70

Try varying your sources, don't rely on protein from one source, many vegetarians make the mistake of getting the bulk of their protein from dairy. Dairy can make your fat intake soar.

Try beans, like black beans, garbonzo beans, pinto beans, baked beans (vegetarian), edamane, ect. Whole grains, quinoa, veggies, oatmeal, ect..If you eat eggs add some in but not too many.

Body builder by no means, but I am doing insanity. And I adjusted my calorie intake and macros according to my TDEE.
  • groversa
    Options
    Switch out your Special K in the morning for a protein-rich grain cereal. You can make your own with a cup of Chia, a cup of Hempseed hearts, 1/2 cup of Buckwheat groats, and whatever other nuts berries, spices, sugar you want. I use powdered ginger, cinnamon, dried apple and dried cranberry. Store it in a dry airtight container. Put 2 tbsp of it in a bowl and add 6 tbsp water and a splash of hemp or almond milk. Let the chia absorb the liquid and you have a protein-rich breakfast that's a lot like oatmeal for about 150 calories.

Great idea, thanks!