HOW do I get enough protein??? (vegetarian)

Options

Replies

• Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the Hemp protein powders? I have never tried them (not vegan), but I was researching for a vegan friend and it gets good reviews. It is flavorless so you can pretty much dump a scoop into anything. Getting your protein seems to be the trick for the vegan lifestyle if you want to build muscle. If you try to get the protein by increasing the beans in your diet to aim for the 1 lb/lbm goal many seek it seems hard to stick to your calorie goal.

https://store.nutiva.com/hemp-protein-plus-fiber/

I was reading not long ago on a forum that there is a vegan bodybuilding site. I know you said that is not your goal, but I bet there are lots of good ideas.

Good luck
  • i_luv_irs
    i_luv_irs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not quite sure why you'd need that much protein. I'm vegetarian as well and I can get in 70 to 100 grams of protein per day if I work at it. I eat Greek yogurt, oat bran, legumes like lentils and occasionally a Think Thin protein bar. I work out 5 days per week on average. I don't know who told you that one cannot lose weight without eating that much protein but it's not true. I've lost 7 pounds since joining MFP and lost 10 before that. All without stressing about eating massive amounts of protein.
    Add me as friend if you'd be interested in seeing my food diary.
  • Scottjt
    Scottjt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I usually have 200-250g of protein a day mostly from whey but also from eggs, brown bread, peanut butter and beans. My advice would be to just have more whey, it's one of the best protein sources there is. Good luck, hope this helps.
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    On days I get over 100 grams of protein, my meals include tofu or tempeh, beans, and protein powder (rice or pea).
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    From your diary it looks like you are living off protein shakes, crackers and cheese.

Personally I think 120 is ridic unless you're training to be a body builder or something maybe..you probably need between 50-70

Try varying your sources, don't rely on protein from one source, many vegetarians make the mistake of getting the bulk of their protein from dairy. Dairy can make your fat intake soar.

Try beans, like black beans, garbonzo beans, pinto beans, baked beans (vegetarian), edamane, ect. Whole grains, quinoa, veggies, oatmeal, ect..If you eat eggs add some in but not too many.

Body builder by no means, but I am doing insanity. And I adjusted my calorie intake and macros according to my TDEE.

I'm not sure how that changes anything? I mean are you Feeling bad not eating 120g of protein? I'd say the only reason to up it would be if you are feeling ill health effects. But like I said, looking at your sources, very little of it is food which tells me you probably don't need that much protein if its such a high amount and you struggle to get it.
  • GraeKat
    GraeKat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Shakeology has a lot of protein in it. www.shakeology.com. Supposedly it tastes better than Herbalife and costs about the same.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    The way I do it, when I'm being careful, is to make sure that everything I eat is either a protein or a leafy green vegetable, with a fruit or two thrown in for variety. It's not as tedious as it sounds, but it takes a lot of planning. The benefit, I guess, is that the fats more or less take care of themselves and you can pretty much do whatever you want with them.

Where I get my 100-140 grams of daily protein: protein powder (hemp, soy, pea, vegan blend, sometimes whey), tofu, tempeh, beans, broccoli, other vegetables, almonds, greek yogurt, chia/hemp seeds, nutritional yeast. Less often: cereal, bread, fake veggie meats, cheese, an egg or two every month.
  • leahdawn4
    leahdawn4 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cald0nia
    cald0nia Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I usually have 200-250g of protein a day mostly from whey but also from eggs, brown bread, peanut butter and beans. My advice would be to just have more whey, it's one of the best protein sources there is. Good luck, hope this helps.

WOW, thats crazy! And awesome!
  • groversa
    Options
    The way I do it, when I'm being careful, is to make sure that everything I eat is either a protein or a leafy green vegetable, with a fruit or two thrown in for variety. It's not as tedious as it sounds, but it takes a lot of planning. The benefit, I guess, is that the fats more or less take care of themselves and you can pretty much do whatever you want with them.

Where I get my 100-140 grams of daily protein: protein powder (hemp, soy, pea, vegan blend, sometimes whey), tofu, tempeh, beans, broccoli, other vegetables, almonds, greek yogurt, chia/hemp seeds, nutritional yeast. Less often: cereal, bread, fake veggie meats, cheese, an egg or two every month.

This is what I feel like I am doing on days I decide to really work hard to get protein, making sure everything I eat will help.. :/
  • sciontc2
    sciontc2 Posts: 15
    Options
    I eat turkey bacon or lean bacon for breakfast , oakmeal from time to time, lean turkey meats, or ground chicken, cheese, nuts has a lot of protein. look out for high fats in these foods but u can locate low fat too. Black Beans have good protein also. I have been on high protein diet myself
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I eat turkey bacon or lean bacon for breakfast , oakmeal from time to time, lean turkey meats, or ground chicken, cheese, nuts has a lot of protein. look out for high fats in these foods but u can locate low fat too. Black Beans have good protein also. I have been on high protein diet myself

Turkey and chicken are not plants.
  • bekah818
    bekah818 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Tofu (lots of protein, low calorie, and very low fat)

Beans

Protein shakes (just add water or soy or almond milk)

Almond milk & Soy milk has Protein

Veggie patties!

Go to Whole Foods or Trader Joes and go crazy in there, they have plenty more options :wink: :wink:
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    When I was a Veg, I ate LOTS of COUS COUS! Delicious, filling and high in protien. yum yum yum!

It has 22g of protein per cup dry and 20g of protein per cup when cooked.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how you're having trouble meeting the 120g goal if you're supplementing with whey. I can see how it would be difficult without that, but with the whey shakes you shouldn't struggle at all, especially if you're eating dairy and eggs as well...?
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a great source of protein. Just another thing you can add in.
  • groversa
    Options

Turkey and chicken are not plants.

Lol, thanks. :)
  • groversa
    Options
    When I was a Veg, I ate LOTS of COUS COUS! Delicious, filling and high in protien. yum yum yum!

It has 22g of protein per cup dry and 20g of protein per cup when cooked.

Is it really bad if I say I don't even know what that is... lol
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and now I understand. Eating the way you do makes it pretty impossible. I think if you focus on eating healthy, whole foods that are protein rich at each meal/snack, you'll do great. Make up for the rest with whatever supplement you're using--that would be whey, I guess. Eggs, greek yogurt, brown rice and beans, lentils, tofu, quinoa, whatever.