HOW do I get enough protein??? (vegetarian)

Replies

• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    I don't eat dairy either so its even harder for me, but if you DO eat dairy, then that is 100% the next best source of protein... low fat cottage cheese or greek yogurt were my #1 go-tos before I went vegan.

as far as non-dairy sources, I try to fit protein into every meal.... protein shakes or fortified cereal for breakfast, chickpeas and other beans mixed into my salads or ground up and used as spreads on wraps and sandwiches, hemp hearts and tofu as an addition to any salad or stirfry, energy bars such as Vega, Luna, or Clif, etc.

don't waste your calories on things with no nutritional content or you'll never reach your protein goal.... or any other goals for that matter lol =)
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    When I was a Veg, I ate LOTS of COUS COUS! Delicious, filling and high in protien. yum yum yum!

It has 22g of protein per cup dry and 20g of protein per cup when cooked.

Is it really bad if I say I don't even know what that is... lol

Couscous is a yummy grain. Don't know about the 20g of protein, though. Every site I looked at says it's only 6 grams per cooked cup.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member
    I looked at your diary and now I understand. Eating the way you do makes it pretty impossible. I think if you focus on eating healthy, whole foods that are protein rich at each meal/snack, you'll do great. Make up for the rest with whatever supplement you're using--that would be whey, I guess. Eggs, greek yogurt, brown rice and beans, lentils, tofu, quinoa, whatever.

Thanks, i really to try hard to eat healthy, but I am also a college student paying for rent and all the other stuff, school, everything by myself. And I work basically the minimal hours in order to pay for that..annnd groceries are expensive! At least the healthy stuff is! I try to buy healthy things each time, but I don't have the money to get everything great for me. But I really do try!
  • dakotawitch
    dakotawitch Posts: 190 Member
    Tofu
    Beans
    Lentils. Then more lentils.
    Cheese (if you are not vegan)
    Eggs (if you are not vegan)
    Soy, almond, or coconut milk
    Yogurt (if you're not vegan -- or try the vegan ones)
    Morningstar farms products (they contain egg whites, so avoid if you are vegan)
    Tempeh
    Seitan
    Nuts
    Quinoa
    Peanut, almond, or cashew butter
    Odwalla (or similar) protein drinks -- I use these for a "boost" and tend to drink them only a few ounces at a time
  • zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    .... I'm also amazed at the high amount of protein in Ezekial Sprouted Wheat Bread....

Just ate this for the first time last night. It's very good.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    2 Scoops NNW Strawberry Protein
    8 0z trop 50 OJ
    1 Serving Frozen Mixed Berries

LIke 320 calories and 45 grams of protein and delicious
  • The have a Special K now with more protein that is really very good. I think it is like 10g protein per serving.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Start including good vegetarian proteins into your diet - tofu, seitan, tempeh, lentils and other legumes. Then supplement that with high-protein add-ins: raw broccoli, other raw veggies and oats don't have "high" protein on their own, but they can add up when included with other foods. I am also a big fan of Clif Bars and Clif Builder bars - they have between 10 and 20g protein per bar, and make a great afternoon snack or meal replacement.

Instead of drinking an Herbalife shake, you could blend silken tofu with protein powder and soy milk and have at least 40g protein in that shake alone. It helps to plan out your meals beforehand so you can make sure you are meeting your macros. Feel free to peek through my diary for animal-free protein inspiration!

I had to end the vegetarian thing for this very reason :/ It's tough. But this info is good. I just didn't get into fake meat, and tofu at home - I never quite mastered. I hope you can find ways to get what you need. I've been eating more veggies lately, like more than I typically eat at one sitting, and they do give you a good amount of protein - like 2 cups of kale, 2 cups broccoli, etc. Bulk up what you do eat now and add in what the quoted poster suggested and I think you'll get closer.
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    I buy organic non-GMO TVP in bulk at my health food store. After planning the following day's food, if protein's low it's easy to fit into anything.
  • katnord
    katnord Posts: 44 Member
    Canned beans are very cheap, dried lentils are even cheaper an cook pretty quickly. You can get nuts and seeds (think pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and pistachios) in bulk and they store and travel very well. Mozzarella string cheese is pretty inexpensive, I usually take one to classes with me each day for a snack. You can get giant bags of frozen soybeans at bulk stores like Costco. Good luck!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    why is your protein goal so high?
    i get by fine with a half scoop choc protein powder in my oatmeal, eggs, cheese, meatless products like the crumbles, burgers chkn strips etc, black beans, chick peas, greek yogurt, seitan (homemade)
  • RonitaL89
    RonitaL89 Posts: 4 Member
    Do you eat eggs and dairy? I have found that starting out the day with a shake made with plain nonfat greek yogurt or eggs has helped me be very successful. Quinoa is great, also have the goal to have dark leafy greens at least 2xs'day (I include them in my morning shake)
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    That's a crazy high protein intake, so first I would rethink that.

If you eat dairy you can get all that and more, don't give it a second thought.

If you are lookig for plant sources, soy and legumes will do the trick. Don't worry about combining, that is a myth.

But, most of all, seriously, you don't need that much protein.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    a can of tuna has 32 grams of protein in it, easy to eat 2 in a day... then look at quest protein bars om nom nom those are delicious
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs.

I was at 135 g protein before dinner, no meat or fish. I use vitasport Pro-7 protein (34g per 150 cals), and because today was a long day at work, I also had a protein bar, although I don't make a habit of having them. Usually I can hit 110-120 no problem.

pst thats all from animals
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member

I was at 135 g protein before dinner, no meat or fish. I use vitasport Pro-7 protein (34g per 150 cals), and because today was a long day at work, I also had a protein bar, although I don't make a habit of having them. Usually I can hit 110-120 no problem.

vegetarians eat animal by products, just not meat (usually) maybe OP is vegan
  • EmmyLoop
    EmmyLoop Posts: 14
    Dear Smiley,

How are you today? I've recently started doing a vegetarian diet (as much as I can) because of allergies and what feels like a hormone imbalance, so I would love any suggestions you have as well. These are my newly discovered favorites:

Mung beans. 1/4 cup has 12g of protein and you can sprout them yourself with water and a towel. Fun!
    Boca Burgers. 120 cals/15g protein. With spicy mustard and tomatoes.

P.S. Ultimately, it is your choice, though I agree with the person whose opinion was that your protein goal is too high.
    135g protein=540 cals. I would increase my protein intake steadily over time.
    . Also, too much protein breakdown can create a more acidic environment in your body, and acid breaks down
    . lots of good stuff.
    Emmy
  • jennieth
    jennieth Posts: 105
    Plenty of ways
    Greek yogurt instead of milk
    eggs
    cottage cheese
    quinoa
    barley
    beans
    tofu
    nut butters

Change your protein shake. The herbalife one you are drinking shows 17g. I use VitaSport Protein7 which has 34.
  • groversa
    groversa Posts: 450 Member

vegetarians eat animal by products, just not meat (usually) maybe OP is vegan

Nope! Only vegetarian :)
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Seitan! I love it! And sprinkle nutritional yeast on everything. Add skim milk powder and whey protein powder where ever you can. Brocolli, sprouts, kale. Tofu scramble, ( keep portions in the fridge). Quinoa, sprouted brown rice, breads and cereals that are high in protein.